The Woo Audio 2
Oct 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,276 of 1,751
So - what is your personal taste?
Good reference point is steely Dan.

Loosely speaking contemporary rock from the 70s onwards. Peter Gabriel, frank Zappa, led Zeppelin, sting, Tom petty.

Some rock/blues as well.

Vocals, guitars, piano is important.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,277 of 1,751
Good reference point is steely Dan.

Loosely speaking contemporary rock from the 70s onwards. Peter Gabriel, frank Zappa, led Zeppelin, sting, Tom petty.

Some rock/blues as well.

Vocals, guitars, piano is important.

So - am I understanding you correctly if I think you say is you might want a colored/mid-centric DAC? 

I haven't heard the Questyle, but tend to find most modern DACs to sound quite similar with regrades to sound signature - because - relatively speaking - they are all trying to be neutral. They vary mostly on detail retrieval and speed in the different frequency areas,but they mostly have a quite similar tonal balance. 

FWIW - I guess what I am saying is that it is more effective to roll tubes, amps or headphones than a dac if the objective is to alter the sound signature. I'd say - if you have a great deal on a great dac with a neutral sound signature - get it and spend your efforts rolling tubes instead of dacs :wink: 

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #1,278 of 1,751
So - am I understanding you correctly if I think you say is you might want a colored/mid-centric DAC? 

I haven't heard the Questyle, but tend to find most modern DACs to sound quite similar with regrades to sound signature - because - relatively speaking - they are all trying to be neutral. They vary mostly on detail retrieval and speed in the different frequency areas,but they mostly have a quite similar tonal balance. 

FWIW - I guess what I am saying is that it is more effective to roll tubes, amps or headphones than a dac if the objective is to alter the sound signature. I'd say - if you have a great deal on a great dac with a neutral sound signature - get it and spend your efforts rolling tubes instead of dacs :wink: 
I guess thats the crux of my question. What's a good way to approach things as a general rule? Let the amp and tubes bring flavour and have the dac bring the detail?

I currently have the irdac which I really like with my soloist. Lush forward mids but a little rolled off on both ends. I was thinking would a better detailed dac, neutral, transparent and open work well or is that maybe leaving too much "work" to the amp and tubes? (And HPs - my hd800). Should I look for a dac that works in the "seasoning" I look for - a little weight in the mids, etc?

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #1,279 of 1,751
My personal recommendation would be to hold off on the Siemens CCa(s) and look for a good pair of Russian  `74 or `75 (single wire getter post) (silver shield) 6N23P Reflektor(s).  They are honestly that good (I'm not kidding!!!)

IMHO, the CCa(s) deserve their reputation but are a lessor tube compared to the above referenced Reflektor, which can be had for less money.  Please use caution if sourcing the 6N23P(s) as they're scarce enough not to be available from premium ($/ reputable) tube dealers and generally need to be acquired by auction sites.

The only 6N23P that is good is the single wire getter? Are the other getter types any good? What's the word in the forums?

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,280 of 1,751
I guess thats the crux of my question. What's a good way to approach things as a general rule? Let the amp and tubes bring flavour and have the dac bring the detail?

I currently have the irdac which I really like with my soloist. Lush forward mids but a little rolled off on both ends. I was thinking would a better detailed dac, neutral, transparent and open work well or is that maybe leaving too much "work" to the amp and tubes? (And HPs - my hd800). Should I look for a dac that works in the "seasoning" I look for - a little weight in the mids, etc?

That's what I think. It is hard to predict the perfect synergy with dac's. Also, the variation in sound signature is more relevant in less expensive dacs in my experience.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,281 of 1,751
The only 6N23P that is good is the single wire getter? Are the other getter types any good? What's the word in the forums?

Yes, the best are the `75 then the `74 (SWGP, silver shield/ gray plate) 6N23P Reflektors. Other getter types and years can be good but not near as good as the afore mentioned tubes.  There is a thread on HF reviewing some of the best-of-the-best 6DJ8 tubes covering these 6N23P types from a fellow contributor; I will post that info here when I locate it.

Eg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-Matched-QUAD-REFLEKTOR-SingleWire-SilverShield-74-1-/171957213838?hash=item280972da8e

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,282 of 1,751

For a DAC you absolutely want highly resolving and detailed (with a sense of musicality) on the top of your list of wants.  Remember, nothing can bring those sonic attributes back if they're not there originally.

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,283 of 1,751
For a DAC you absolutely want highly resolving and detailed (with a sense of musicality) on the top of your list of wants.  Remember, nothing can bring those sonic attributes back if they're not there originally.
thats the angle I've been working on.

But my research and guidance I'm receiving from my local woo stockist (who I've ordered the wa2 through and who's selling the dac) is suggesting, even though the cas192d is a more detailed dac, I'm better off sticking with my irdac (at this point) as I'd probably be better with a detailed dac with a little warmth. ie the cas192d for the wa2 and hd800 may be a little too neutral.

He hasn't led me astray yet.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,284 of 1,751
thats the angle I've been working on.

But my research and guidance I'm receiving from my local woo stockist (who I've ordered the wa2 through and who's selling the dac) is suggesting, even though the cas192d is a more detailed dac, I'm better off sticking with my irdac (at this point) as I'd probably be better with a detailed dac with a little warmth. ie the cas192d for the wa2 and hd800 may be a little too neutral.

He hasn't led me astray yet.

Based on my experience with the WA2 I'd say that sounds like good advice!  What you don't want is something that's too dry and analytical, and with the hd800 you're better off to error slightly on the warm side.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,285 of 1,751

Here's a thread started by Rob @rb2013 where he does his 6922 tube shootout:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes

This comparison should give you some great insight!  Don't be afraid to PM him with questions; I also purchased my `75 6N23P tubes from him.

@Franatic recently was also impressed with them in his WA2.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,286 of 1,751

Based on my experience with the WA2 I'd say that sounds like good advice!  What you don't want is something that's too dry and analytical, and with the hd800 you're better off to error slightly on the warm side.

Hi

I held off on the questyle due to advice similar to yours.

I'll wait ti get to know my WA2 better and upgrade from my irdac when the time is right and when i know which direction i need to take it

And the WA2 arrived today - (and yes it is a new toy but )with just stock tubes, coming from the soloist which i really have enjoyed its structure and detail (which in Australia is 1/2 the rice of the wa2) let me just say WOW!!!

The detail has gone up a solid level or probably two - i did not expect that much. and that's just with the stock tubes. The tube rolling might start tomorrow night.

I certainly have no time to stop, let the stock tubes cool down tonight and then put others in

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,287 of 1,751
Congrats on your new 2 crow! tube rolling is fun and maddening at the same time. But with the right ones, the WA2 will be sublime. Welcome to the family.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,288 of 1,751
Check out the Woo WA2 tube rolling thread.
I have Mullard EZ80 rextifiers, TS/Chatham 6AS7G outputs and Amperex 6DJ8 for drivers. I haven't tried other tubes yes but this combo gives me a very nice sound that complements the 800s very well IMO.

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,289 of 1,751
Check out the Woo WA2 tube rolling thread.
I have Mullard EZ80 rextifiers, TS/Chatham 6AS7G outputs and Amperex 6DJ8 for drivers. I haven't tried other tubes yes but this combo gives me a very nice sound that complements the 800s very well IMO.
I've already picked up a pair of 6922 Amperex pq (white shields, USA), Siemens cca, rft ez80 and used Gec 6as7g. I guess I had to do something whilst I was waiting for my amp to arrive

It certainly was a very happy couple of hours last night

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,290 of 1,751
I've already picked up a pair of 6922 Amperex pq (white shields, USA), Siemens cca, rft ez80 and used Gec 6as7g. I guess I had to do something whilst I was waiting for my amp to arrive

It certainly was a very happy couple of hours last night
HAHAHAHA.
I did the same thing waiting for mine!
So......... you went with GEC huh? IF I try another output tube, it will be that. I hear wonderful things about GEC. May I ask where did you get them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back