The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #601 of 7,980
Yup, sent him an E-Mail now. It's heiraudio@micro-dsp.com, correct?

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #603 of 7,980

Quote:

It was too long? No wonder it was a tiny bit painful when he inserted the foam...

I don't really get why it's deformed. Is the right one OK then? Are you saying that he didn't cover the full helix? Is that going to affect the construction of the IEM?

It's quite long, but not 'too' long, however the excess material will be cut off anyways so it should be alright.

That deformed bit doesn't matter much, Heir can fix it in no time. As long the audiologist get the 1st and 2nd bend right you don't need to worry too much since those 2 bends are critical for having a good seal eventually.

Seems like your audiologist decided to go economical, he didn't use a lot material there, but as I mentioned above that base will be cut by the time your impressions arrive at the lab so it won't be much of an issue.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #605 of 7,980

Quote:
Alright, I just got back from the audiologist. He has had experience with CIEMs before, or so he says. However, he didn't have a bite block so I just used two of my fingers. The process was relatively painless but the impressions I got for my two ears look...quite different to say the least, especially with the shape of the ear canal (see first photo). I'll put some photos up below. Does this impression look good to you guys?

Also, how should I ship these to Heir Audio? Is there any specific detail I should pay attention to in the packaging to prevent the impressions being damaged during shipment? Thanks everyone!

Email Heir with all these questions!

As for shipping, did your audiologist give you a small box for them? If so, tuck a printout of your order into that, seal it and ship it. They don't really need padding since they're reasonably shatterproof 
wink_face.gif
, but if it makes you feel better you can do what I did and tuck a couple packing peanuts to loosely hold them in place.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #606 of 7,980
lol, mine came with a box... and I packed mine a larger box with bubble wrap around the smaller box.

On a side note. Do they send you an email to let you know if your headphones are in the production phase or anything?  Wondering if they give any type of status on their build besides the beginning when they receive them, and the ending when they're shipping.
Quote:
Email Heir with all these questions!

As for shipping, did your audiologist give you a small box for them? If so, tuck a printout of your order into that, seal it and ship it. They don't really need padding since they're reasonably shatterproof 
wink_face.gif
, but if it makes you feel better you can do what I did and tuck a couple packing peanuts to loosely hold them in place.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #607 of 7,980

Quote:
By "too long" I meant that it could be dangerous to his ear drum. Of course it's no problem to cut off excess

Anyways, Hieu, you're the expert here

Well from the look of it I don't think it's that dangerous. Reaching the 2nd bend is only around 1/2 the length of the ear canal. Of course that varies from person to person but you might be surprised to know some people have very deep ear canals like the Japanese guy below (taken from fitear's twitter).

And no, I'm no expert. Those impressions look ok to me but if the Wizard says they don't work then he will need to pay the audiologist another visit.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #612 of 7,980
I E-Mailed the wizard about my impressions. He said there were a few voids but they can be repaired based on the contour of the ear. He said I could send new impressions or just use these ones. It takes too much effort to send new ones, so I think I'll just get them made with my current impressions.

Has anyone here had experience with CIEMs that were made from impressions that had to be "fixed"?

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #614 of 7,980

Quote:
Can anyone post a pic of the timbres (preferably the amboyna berl) being worn in the ear.  I'd really love to see how they'd look when worn, as that's the point... :)

You would think Heir would have some pictures on Facebook with them being worn, but NOPE. 80 photos of wood CIEM's, but not a single one being worn.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #615 of 7,980
Quote:
Can anyone post a pic of the timbres (preferably the amboyna berl) being worn in the ear.  I'd really love to see how they'd look when worn, as that's the point... :)

Not the wood you wanted but the best I can do
redface.gif

Quote:
You would think Heir would have some pictures on Facebook with them being worn, but NOPE. 80 photos of wood CIEM's, but not a single one being worn.

I would've  added this one, but I don't know how Facebook works
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back