the who - who's next
Sep 3, 2004 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

19lexicon78

500+ Head-Fier
well,

everytime i listen to this album..actually i don't like much of their songs...but i can't deny, every song is so beautiful made. Every instrument has it's own identity, i have never heard that from a pop/rock album that each instrument is important..it has a classical input...not common..most of the rock-albums the voice/text or lead gitar is most important..but not with this album...

most of us like pink floyd and pink floyd also makes this kind of (every instrument is important music) albums.
i have pink floyd's dark side of the moon, but that album is far more easier to follow/less complicated than who's next...i think who's next is another level.

it's the first time there is a real contradiction for me, i don't like all of the songs, but it's creativity...it's just wow...actually, till now, it's my preferred rock album..

ok, it's not rachmaninov or another classical composer/genre..but for rock, i haven't heard better...

i know, perhaps most of you won't agree. It's just my opinion, just want to write about it
wink.gif
have to write about it, couldn't help it..

greets,

stan

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 26
Well, it's one of the great rock records of all time, no need to apoligize for liking it, sheesh. If you like this record, you'd more or less like all of The Who's amazing output. One of the top 5 rock bands of all times...

Have fun exploring their catalog.

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 26
i have tommy, listened several times...but i don't luike it as much as who's next...i still have to buy quadrophonia..but first i want to buy a Richter album..my favorite pianist..

Sep 3, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 26
Yeh..........this would be thier strongest studio album, plus sound expands with keyboard use here, some real rock anthems that are longer more developed pieces.
cool.gif

I read somewhere that cover photo was taken when driving on tour bus in England and they passed this slag field for metal processing plant with concrete pillars and thought that would be cool for picture......band hopped out of the bus for 10 minutes snapped some pictures, ended up being famous cover shot.

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 26
Hey Stan!

I love this album. Everything has already been said about it, let's add that the sound quality is amazing for such an old record.

You know what pisses me off? I missed the MFSL gold release a few years ago, now i saw it at $300 on musicdirect web site!! Dammit!

At least i got "Tommy" MFSL's gold cd
icon10.gif

I like alot the "Tommy" movie soundtrack also.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Yeh..........this would be thier strongest studio album, plus sound expands with keyboard use here, some real rock anthems that are longer more developed pieces.
cool.gif

I read somewhere that cover photo was taken when driving on tour bus in England and they passed this slag field for metal processing plant with concrete pillars and thought that would be cool for picture......band hopped out of the bus for 10 minutes snapped some pictures, ended up being famous cover shot.

it reminded the band of the monolith from "2001". so they stopped and wizzed on it!

i've heard "who's next" descibed as "chilling perfection", which i think sums up the production.

Sep 4, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
it reminded the band of the monolith from "2001". so they stopped and wizzed on it!

Red......you are right, closer inspection show three "piss trails" on column.
icon10.gif

Photo

Sep 5, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Well, it's one of the great rock records of all time, no need to apoligize for liking it, sheesh. If you like this record, you'd more or less like all of The Who's amazing output. One of the top 5 rock bands of all times...

As usual, WELL said, markl. The Who were incredible.

JC

Sep 5, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 26
"Who's Next" and "Who Are You" are both very solid albums, definitely some of my favorite music of all time.

I definitely do need to get a real copy of "Quadrophenia", though. That is also an excellent album. "The Rock" is definitely my favorite song for some odd reason. Also, it pairs well with "Doctor Jimmy".

Tommy isn't my favorite, but there's definitely some good stuff on there.

Sep 5, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

cool.gif

I think to story goes that Kieth Moon had to take a piss and went up to the huge pillar for a pee.

Edit. Wow I'm dumb. Would have been a good idea to read all the posts.

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Red......you are right, closer inspection show three "piss trails" on column.
icon10.gif

Photo

yup. and they're all zipping up their trousers.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 26
Yeah, I remember when both Who's Next and Dark Side of the Moon came out (IIRC, within a few months of each other). Both were (and are) killer LPs, but at the time I thought Who's Next was the more accessible album. Of course, that was long before 30 years of FM radio made DSOM near ubiquitous. Both great albums which, periodically, I still break out and listen to on CD. Don't apologize for liking either one.

As for Tommy, well, I think it get's old as an entire work, though there are parts that seem always great (See Me, Feel Me; Pinball Wizzard and others). Quadrophrenia? To me it is a far stronger work than Tommy. But Who's Next is the pinnacle, IMO one of the top ten rock albums of the first 20 years of rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back