The way it SHOULD be done!
Nov 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Last night I picked up a present - My Morning Jacket's new album.
So far nothing spectacular except excellent music in a format I enjoy - LP. Oh but wait! What is this? Is that a CD of the LP slipped in there? Oh it is?!! Well well, all for the price of a regular LP? How can this be?

I've been asking for this for years. For a while, indie labels were releasing LP's with mp3 download codes. Nice, but I want the CD or at least FLAC files.

Now, finally I see what I've been asking for, and gosh, the cost of the entire package was $20! Yet they are still making money! Folks, EVERY LP should come this way. LP/CD package for $20 and I bet many many folks would be pleased as punch. Automatic digital backup, I can rip it to my iPod, play it in my car and listen on the big rig at home in whatever format I choose.

Thank you MMJ for this double 180g LP set with CD for under $20. Are the other labels reading?

I hope so.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 24
And from whence did this delectible morsel of musical goodness come if I might ask?
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 24
There are other example of bands/labels doing this as well. So far I've picked up Matthew Sweet's latest and the new Mudcrutch record both accompanying cd's. I believe Wilco Hotel Fox Trot comes with a cd as well.

I'm with you Zanth, I hope this becomes the norm for future releases of LP's.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And from whence did this delectible morsel of musical goodness come if I might ask?
biggrin.gif

Nevermind. I see that Acoustic Sounds has it.

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

--Jerome

I grabbed it at my local hi-fi/record shop. I went to MMJ's website, they have it there for $19.98. I paid $20 CAD. So that is about 17.50 USD. It is likely on Amazon.com too.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are other example of bands/labels doing this as well. So far I've picked up Matthew Sweet's latest and the new Mudcrutch record both accompanying cd's. I believe Wilco Hotel Fox Trot comes with a cd as well.

I'm with you Zanth, I hope this becomes the norm for future releases of LP's.

Note that this release was a double LP album on heavy vinyl for under $20 too! Yet they make money??! So why can't others do the same? I'm thinking not only about all genres and labels but particularly the audiophile releases say from Acoustic Sounds, for instance a Hoffman/Gray collaboration where one drops $50 on an LP, double, 45 rpm, 180-200g, but no way of backing up save for a needle drop. The CD inclusion = pennies. So why not do it since they are selling small runs of interesting stuff to diehard music lovers!

I'm really pleased to read that the latest Mathew Sweet is like this too. I love Sweet and was hoping to get his new album sooner than later. I'll definitely pick up the LP now.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 24
I bought Opeth's Watershed on vinyl and it came with a beautiful matte black on shiny black CD. That floored me when I opened it.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 24
Maybe we should start a thread which lists those albums which include the CD. I think that could be very useful for folks. I know I'm more eager to spend my money on an LP that includes the CD.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 24
I can't remember which ones at the moment, but I've had a few LPs come with coupons for free downloads of the album. I really liked that, too, since most of my home listening is on the turntable, and my mobile/portable setup is an iPod jacked into the car stereo. I'm glad to see that at least some of the labels "get" it.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 24
So if I get this right, if I buy a cd of Wilco-YHF, I get a free LP?
wink.gif

Yeah, that's it.

This would address the problem of paying full fare for each format. Bravo.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I get this right, if I buy a cd of Wilco-YHF, I get a free LP?
wink.gif

So you are one of those half-empty half-full kinda guys aren't you
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 24
I picked up a Joe Henderson LP today that came with a CD, this is a Bluenote release. There was a Dexter Gordon Go LP+CD from Bluenote as well. The jazz labels are catching on too! I can't believe it!

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 24
Maybe, but several labels are jumping on the Blue Note bandwagon and all it's doing is flooding the market with the same titles and creating confusion among audiophiles.

Look at Blue Train by John Coltrane for example. It is available in the following guises on vinyl:

Blue Note Reissue on Standard Vinyl ($10)
Blue Note Reissue 120g + CD ($20)
Classic Records 200g 33 1/3 ($32)
Classic Records 200g 45 RPM ($50) (on 4 single sided clear LPs)
Analogue Productions 45 RPM (Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman) ($50)

What's really important to me is the mastering. BTW, I like a lot of Steve Hoffman's work, such as ZZ Top - Tres Hombres, but there have been some disappointments too: like the remaster of Yes - Fragile. I think my 1971 original LP smokes the Analogue Productions release, but to each his own.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back