The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 20, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #89,656 of 90,545
What if the artist creates AI? Isn't that more or less what happens within ambient and techno performances when the instruments pick up bits and pieces of what you have just played and take it into a direction you may not have foreseen, allowing you react to it, then again using that as new input?

drftr
That is not AI generated art, that is AI assisted art, personally I do not think this new buzz around AI is all that different than what we had before. The software still has no sensory input, does not discover itself through the work. We can get all excited about a computer as a tool and sell more cloud computing by hyping the term AI, and no doubt the number of job roles that are now done by computer software will continue to increase, how is that all that different than before all this recently increased AI hype.

May 20, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #89,658 of 90,545
The software still has no sensory input
I don't think that is true by definition. Will have to search for an example as this isn't a regular topic for me.

And hey, you may be completely right of course. It's just that things move so much faster than we think we do that I would be disappointed if it didn't exist yet. And this comes from an old man, not from an artist who stays young by definition...

drftr

May 20, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #89,659 of 90,545

Campfire Audio got caught using chinese knock-off BAs. Go figure...

Interesting video on the intricacies of mass-manufacturing IEMs. :)

May 20, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #89,660 of 90,545
I don't think that is true by definition. Will have to search for an example as this isn't a regular topic for me.

And hey, you may be completely right of course. It's just that things move so much faster than we think we do that I would be disappointed if it didn't exist yet. And this comes from an old man, not from an artist who stays young by definition...

drftr
Sensory input in PLCs which is a computer used in industrial manufacturing automation is designed specifically with inputs and outputs and the inputs are often sensors. This is not the same as seeing/hearing, those sensors provide input to a program and the results are a 100% repeatable action controlled through the output.

This is not the same thing as the AI software seeing or hearing and altering its own code and learning, with self awareness.

I may be very close to your age possibly a little older. 1963 was when I emerged into this paradigm.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #89,661 of 90,545

Yeah, their Belsing controversy was pretty big back then. It’s why I’m loving the current era of proprietary drivers, acoustic chambers, etc. ‘Can’t get a knockoff STORM off TaoBao, for example. :D

May 20, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #89,662 of 90,545
Will be in SG over the weekend. Does Zep cover everything or are there other stores that may have something that Zep doesn’t?
I like Zepp. They have a lot there , (especially cables!) and you can enjoy some coffee while you’re there. The mall it’s located in has several electronics stores if you need stuff serviced. Also Zepp is on the 3rd floor IIRC.

May 20, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #89,664 of 90,545
After all these years and I never even bothered to check iTunes! Now it's called Music and yup, there is still the option to rip to ALAC.

It does a very good job and it retrieves all metadata. I slightly prefer ALAC to FLAC, I find that there are more dynamics, but I must admit that may be a bias :laughing:

May 20, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #89,666 of 90,545
Oh, happy Monday, Elysian Noir has arrived!!!!
1000028560.jpg

May 20, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #89,667 of 90,545
May 20, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #89,668 of 90,545
That is not AI generated art, that is AI assisted art, personally I do not think this new buzz around AI is all that different than what we had before. The software still has no sensory input, does not discover itself through the work. We can get all excited about a computer as a tool and sell more cloud computing by hyping the term AI, and no doubt the number of job roles that are now done by computer software will continue to increase, how is that all that different than before all this recently increased AI hype.
Whatever semantics we use to define it, the threat of AI to this poor fella is real

May 20, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #89,669 of 90,545
Hi guys,

Does anyone own the Pathfinder and mind commenting how it compares to current Campfire releases as well as the market currently in general? I have the opportunity to trade for one and am considering it since it's being traded for grear I use much less anyways.

Thanks! I've only listened to it once and enjoyed it on the same level as Blackstar and Bonneville since I think the sound is more in that family if I'm not mistaken.

May 20, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #89,670 of 90,545

The good outcome of it though is that their new product line up is a lot more competitive now in this cutthroat market, and they’re definitely utilizing genuine BAs just on the subjective listening on how resolving their kilobuck IEMs now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back