The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 18, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #58,936 of 91,272
I use a copper Wifi router to make my streamed music sound warm.

May 19, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #58,937 of 91,272
Only works that way when you place your dap 4.75ft away from the router and maintain room temperature at exactly 68.5degF.

May 19, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #58,938 of 91,272
And I thought we were evolving as humans but I guess not.

Pharmaceuticals are not out to cure anyone.

Just my opinion. And I don’t think a very good analogy to use alongside an audio debate.

The Verge has their own opinion and while there are tons of scientific journals support their allopathic medicine opinion there are also tons of scientific journals on the other side that objectively show that homeopathic medicine is also effective in the right context/conditions. In audio, I could replicate the sonic difference in Bluetooth sound, yes Bluetooth sonics, on the same BT Codec and same app (AAC stream, Roon Arc) I have even with just switching from my iPhone 12 Pro to iPod Touch 7th gen. I am surprised why I prefer the sound of Bluetooth 4.1 from the iPod Touch against BT 5.0 on the iPhone 12 Pro (the sound is more relaxed and not jittery/digital glare with iPod Touch 7th gen)

I am not a fan of this homeopathy analogy either, that market is a lot worse than the audio market. But that analogy is not the point of this argument and I think you both know that. The actual point is not a bad one.

It's not used immediately. Not a storage expert, but usually stuff that is immediately being used is loaded into RAM first, it's like this in ANY computer. Depending on the instructions of how your DAP is working, a small block of the onboard storage is used as an extension for more RAM, to cut down on memory cycles on the microSD card. And yes, MicroSD cards can wear out, there's only a finite amount of cycles that you can write/delete data before degradation is a factor.

So maybe the sound difference 'heard' in SD cards is really listening to a degraded SD card vs a fresh out of the box card?
I think these cards all have some amount of "over storage" to circumvent out right failure at the beginning of degradation. But at some point, the card will lose usable save space. And then files will get corrupted and unreadable. At that point, if you try to play a file like this, you will certainly hear it :D
I personally don't think you can hear slightly degraded 1s and 0s.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #58,939 of 91,272
May 19, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #58,940 of 91,272
But that analogy is not the point of this argument and I think you both know that. The actual point is not a bad one.
But the argument/analogy is futile because it based on subjective view points! So why argue it or try to rub this quote in the face that do?!

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #58,941 of 91,272
But the argument is futile because it based on subjective view points! So why argue it or try to rub this quote in the face that do?!
I could have cut the quote down from this analogy for sure. Didn't feel like it would have been necessary, so I just copied the whole section.

Again the argument is not this analogy. The argument is, that the music is not streamed from the sd card, but from internal memory.

May 19, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #58,942 of 91,272
I think you can get all of that with the cayin n6ii r01 for less.
Nope .. no device/DAP without Android 10+ can handle properly Poweramp EQ => so it's "no go" for me, as any little change in PEQ parameters makes huger earable difference for sound quality than any changes with cables, DAPs, amps with my IEMs (Z1r, IE600, FW1800, Xelento, N3AP) and Headphones (Stealth, HEDDphone, Z7M2)

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #58,943 of 91,272
Maybe put it near a heater is even better, hopefully not too warm though:)

May 19, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #58,944 of 91,272
I could have cut the quote down from this analogy for sure. Didn't feel like it would have been necessary, so I just copied the whole section.

Again the argument is not this analogy. The argument is, that the music is not streamed from the sd card, but from internal memory.
I hear you and my response was more at what “the verge” was saying. I appreciate you for posting that because it gave me some awareness. As for me, It is a soft spot. My father battled cancer and didn’t have health insurance at the time and unfortunately was turned away by western medicine a.k.a Big Pharma. So he had to carve his own path homeopathically (this took A LOT of research and trial and error on his own) and he is cancer free today. Yes this is debatable but a poor analogy regardless in my opinion.

Edit: and that analogy alone by them makes anything after that refutable. IMO

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #58,946 of 91,272
May 19, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #58,947 of 91,272
I hear you and my response was more at what “the verge” was saying. I appreciate you for posting that because it gave me some awareness. As for me, It is a soft spot. My father battled cancer and didn’t have health insurance at the time and unfortunately was turned away by western medicine a.k.a Big Pharma. So he had to carve his own path homeopathically (this took A LOT of research and trial and error on his own) and he is cancer free today. Yes this is debatable but a poor analogy regardless in my opinion.

Edit: and that analogy alone by them makes anything after that refutable. IMO
Apologies for my off topic posts. I know they aren’t audio related. I will keep these to PM in the future. Thank you for your understanding @maegnificant and everyone.

May 19, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #58,948 of 91,272
Nope .. no device/DAP without Android 10+ can handle properly Poweramp EQ => so it's "no go" for me, as any little change in PEQ parameters makes huger earable difference for sound quality than any changes with cables, DAPs, amps with my IEMs (Z1r, IE600, FW1800, Xelento, N3AP) and Headphones (Stealth, HEDDphone, Z7M2)
I'm using the PEQ in poweramp on the n6ii to great effect. To wit, it does wonders for the LCD-i4.

May 19, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #58,949 of 91,272
I wonder if the cards only have value in certain Daps. If the Dap moves the data to an internal buffer before any conversion, I would not expect to hear a difference unless there were errors occurring on the transfer. However, if the data were immediately being used in conversion, then maybe there could be a difference? I do not know how they all work though, just supposition.
All DAPs (AFAIK) buffer the data in an internal memory buffer. Any difference is not due to bit errors, or whether a data buffer is being used.

The scientific method is to verify first, and then use the data from the trial to form an opinion? Or has it advanced to being able to form the opinion without any need for a trial? Yes, that will save a lot of time. Wonder if we could apply Block Chain as a consensus mechanism? Anything verified by Block Chain has great validity, due to the extensive Proof of Work validation involved.

In any case, there is no possibility of any consensus, either for or against. Just being able to discuss in a civil manner is already an advancement.
Actually, there is a consensus, as the majority opinion is against! So there you have it. It has been decided.
There is no possibility that SD cards can affect sound.

This is a great subject to polarize people. If the discussion was face to face, fist fights and shootings would be the inevitable result.

May 19, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #58,950 of 91,272
I'm using the PEQ in poweramp on the n6ii to great effect. To wit, it does wonders for the LCD-i4.

Before Android 10 it was almost impossible for me with any of my DAPs to activate properly in stable condition Poweramp EQ with Qobuz/Amazon/Tidal & BubbleUpnp due to DUMP & Tracker rights not stable with such OS, so I am a bit surprised the N6II with android 8.1 can handle PowerEQ with Qobuz/Amazon/Tidal... but, that's good for you if it works fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back