The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 16, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #58,772 of 90,228
Rn6 Closeup.jpg

Check it out, Fir Audio's answer to the Xenon 6 vs. the Krypton 5 debate. There are some HEADFIers that like the brighter Krypton 5 signature over the Xenon feeling that it offers more detail. While I respect that opinion, I feel that a lot of the differences in opinion have much to do with fit. Managing the AudioTiers tour for the frontier lineup, I was able to try the universal tour units next to my own custom Xenon 6 and found that there was a sonic difference for me between the universal and the custom fit that paralleled the discussions. Basically, the tighter fit provided tighter bass response whereas the universal fit for me was loser providing more unruly bass. The custom fit offered the best bass response that I had heard to date. Fir now offers the Rn6 that seems to answer that question - see my first impressions below. Or if you are in the US and would like to hear for yourself, please follow the link in my signature below to join the US Tour.

Rn6 First Impressions: Essentially, the Rn6 feels like a more detailed, more intimate Xenon. The Xenon has been my goto IEM for the last year offering my preferred signature of a fun, musical, engaging signature that is easy to listen to and sounds great with all genres. The current Rn6 intimacy could change as the IEM opens up through use, but is actually desirable for that in your face detail that offers a deeper look into the music. It accomplishes this while maintaining the same fun factor that the Xenon offers, but adds an important element. Previously, I would have given the Xenon the texture king title, but the Rn6 takes it to another level. The texture is so great that it almost tickles. As you can here in my words, I am delighted with my new Rn6 and am in the process of starting my review on this incredible IEM in preparation to adding it to the current Fir Frontier tour. So far, I have stuck with the red modules that you see in the faceplates, but as we know, those modules can change the tone considerably so I am excited to stretch the Rn6 legs a bit to see all that it can do. My review will provide a lot more insight into the Xenon vs. Radon (Rn6) question many might have given that the Radon is $600 less in cost. I am guessing my review will be done by mid-June, but feel free to ask questions along the way if you want to know anything specific.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #58,773 of 90,228
Totally. I've found that time of day, mood, energy and stress levels, even diet / what I've eaten throughout the day all affect "how" I hear... I've also found that some days nothing sounds "good."
Listening to EXT + Plato x Socrates right now … the these are the least blah earphones in my collection. May not be the be or and end all in terms of detail retrieval etc but never fails to put a smile on my face. Don’t think I’ll ever part with them

The bold italics was context to my reply where I was having a day where nothing sounded "good" and it didn't matter that it EXT, RN6, XE6 or any IEM – not that I was being critical of EXT.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #58,774 of 90,228
Yes, but this hobby, more than any other has plenty of vendors, looking to exploit those claims for their own gain and to drain your wallet. Why give thousands away to cryogenic treated cables, “special” audiophile cards, special soldering, etc. With other stuff like going to the gym , car tuning, or bikes there’s objective and measurable results… but here it’s “take my word and believe?” No thanks.
I'm skeptical, as I mentioned in my next post, of the really high-priced stuff - especially when it seems based on very simple tech that can be done for far less - but I am not a cynical as you. There are snake oil sellers out there, to be sure. (I actually think the super high-$$$ cable makers fall into that category...) But I haven't found that many people in 15+ years of this hobby who are just "out to get you." I believe most vendors believe they are onto something and are trying to make a living in a pretty small world. The things you mention, actually, are tweaks that work well to my ears. Cryo-treatment, solder, cards - these have provided enjoyable and repeatable upgrades through the years. Adding a better clock to an ethernet switch provided better sound to my digital chain, although I never would have believed it before extensive testing. Yet there is only so good a clock can be. Sure, the best ones are harder to make and harder to source but there is a threshhold after which those better specs cannot actually be heard and to charge $7K for a switch because switches are now popular and everyone is jumping in and it has insane specs - I find that a little too opportunistic for my taste. Bottom line, though, no one here is asking anyone to take their word for anything. That's what I love about this forum. On the contrary, we are all asking each to try something out in the spirit of scientific inquiry and then tell us about whether it works or not...

May 16, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #58,775 of 90,228
SP3k CU arrived today.

@Alexzander (I know you were on the fence here)

Quick 1 hour impressions, more to follow later whenever my Ode to Laura arrives and I A/B more between SS/CU and OtL/Cleo II Octa.

SP3k SS and CU are BY AND LARGE the same. Paired with my indigos there is a slight bass uplift it's not anything huge. Vocals and low-mids are a touch warmer and high-mids and treble feels a bit brighter (need more A/Bing to confirm, it might just be the vocal and lower mids effecting the ol' brain). It's not a wild difference but for those feeling the SS was a tad too neutral leaning you'll get a bit more bass and warmth with the CU. Staging and technicalities feel the same for me right now, could change as time passes. Other potential change I'm noticing (again need more time to be sure) is the background might be a tad darker than the already void levels of dark the SS is. For me It's definitely a better pairing for the indigo given the bass uplift and a worthwhile addition to the collection (insert general grievous meme).

All in all, very minor changes but if you enjoyed the SS but felt it was just a TAD over the neutral line for you then the slight changes here due to the body material/grounding (AK uses the full body to ground it, thus the SQ changes, according to them) might just be enough to push you over the line of loving it. I'd say it's a hair away from the SS in terms of favorite DAP ever heard but that's because I love the neutrality of the SS with my Ragnar.

May 16, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #58,776 of 90,228
The bold italics was context to my reply where I was having a day where nothing sounded "good" and it didn't matter that it EXT, RN6, XE6 or any IEM – not that I was being critical of EXT.
Be careful about criticising EXT in these parts. Trust me. 😉

May 16, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #58,777 of 90,228
I know what you were saying, I guess I worded my response badly. I guess what I meant is that EXT is the most forgiving of my IEM’s so I tend to get the most enjoyment out of it no matter what sort of mood I’m in… You worded what you meant much better than some around here :wink: so this one is on me.

May 16, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #58,778 of 90,228
Rn6 Closeup.jpg
Check it out, Fir Audio's answer to the Xenon 6 vs. the Krypton 5 debate. There are some HEADFIers that like the brighter Krypton 5 signature over the Xenon feeling that it offers more detail. While I respect that opinion, I feel that a lot of the differences in opinion have much to do with fit. Managing the AudioTiers tour for the frontier lineup, I was able to try the universal tour units next to my own custom Xenon 6 and found that there was a sonic difference for me between the universal and the custom fit that paralleled the discussions. Basically, the tighter fit provided tighter bass response whereas the universal fit for me was loser providing more unruly bass. The custom fit offered the best bass response that I had heard to date. Fir now offers the Rn6 that seems to answer that question - see my first impressions below. Or if you are in the US and would like to hear for yourself, please follow the link in my signature below to join the US Tour.

Rn6 First Impressions: Essentially, the Rn6 feels like a more detailed, more intimate Xenon. The Xenon has been my goto IEM for the last year offering my preferred signature of a fun, musical, engaging signature that is easy to listen to and sounds great with all genres. The current Rn6 intimacy could change as the IEM opens up through use, but is actually desirable for that in your face detail that offers a deeper look into the music. It accomplishes this while maintaining the same fun factor that the Xenon offers, but adds an important element. Previously, I would have given the Xenon the texture king title, but the Rn6 takes it to another level. The texture is so great that it almost tickles. As you can here in my words, I am delighted with my new Rn6 and am in the process of starting my review on this incredible IEM in preparation to adding it to the current Fir Frontier tour. So far, I have stuck with the red modules that you see in the faceplates, but as we know, those modules can change the tone considerably so I am excited to stretch the Rn6 legs a bit to see all that it can do. My review will provide a lot more insight into the Xenon vs. Radon (Rn6) question many might have given that the Radon is $600 less in cost. I am guessing my review will be done by mid-June, but feel free to ask questions along the way if you want to know anything specific.

Awesome Barra, good to hear from you and on that RN6 tour instantly. Really want to hear this one and if i like it CIEM. I already have a collection of all the modules 64 audio have released so if they fit the RN6 I'll have even more sound possibilities. I really think modules are the best way to go, I wish everyone would use them.

May 16, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #58,779 of 90,228
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know what you were saying, I guess I worded my response badly. I guess what I meant is that EXT is the most forgiving of my IEM’s so I tend to get the most enjoyment out of it no matter what sort of mood I’m in… You worded what you meant much better than some around here :wink: so this one is on me.
No worries at all my friend. I try to maintain a sense of awareness in my replies.

I was rolling a stash of recently arrived cables and was rolling to see if there new EXT synergies with EA Cleo II OCTA, Eros S, Ares S 8w and latest ET's Cassiel and Azrael. The conversation of having "off" listening sesh was very timely and resonated with my very "Blah" night, LOL. Which lead to a couple of cocktails and maybe a binge... DAP purchase... 🤭

May 16, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #58,780 of 90,228
May 16, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #58,781 of 90,228
That's what I love about this forum. On the contrary, we are all asking each to try something out in the spirit of scientific inquiry and then tell us about whether it works or not...
I agree 100% with this sentiment, I have benefited my understanding by reading many worthwhile contributions, even improved my own listening experience.

I was having a day where nothing sounded "good"
I KNOW you are not alone in this phenomenon. The bigger question becomes, is it as a result of subtle physical or mental change and can I really trust anything I hear. :astonished: :relaxed:

My best upgrade tip, when you find yourself lost in the music, no further action is required!.

May 16, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #58,782 of 90,228
IMG_1611.jpeg

My professional life blurring the lines of digital communication, music and technology has afforded me unique opportunities, experience and connections around the world, just like my love for Star Wars.

None of that is more true than my relationship with FIR Audio, a Ukrainian born, Oregon based team that I’m grateful to be able to call personal friends.

Like my next costume in Axe Woves I’m building with Dan Betters and Laura Evonne for the 501st, their new launch in the Radon 6 was something I knew connected with immediately.

This design was intended to to represent just that, taking influences from the Nite Owls - the power that both aspects of my life have to create community

THIS is the way.
Those look fantastic, congrats!!

Rn6 Closeup.jpg

... and another lovely custom version of the IEM that wasn't meant to be available as custom, will be looking forward to your thoughts comparing with Xe6. I'll get a chance to hear Rn6 at some stage myself, but I'm still not sure I would want the slightly-less-Xe6-than-Xe6 version, rather I prefer the real deal, and listen to something else very different for variety. But that's just me trying to make the most of a relatively smaller collection.
Just a thought on the side - I don't expect an answer either. I find it very exciting how blatantly different the perception of music and IEMs is at different times of the day.

Have you ever found yourself hating certain IEMs in the morning and loving them in the evening - or vice versa?
Not just morning/evening, but heaps of other factors affect how I hear the exact same gear. Usually tiredness or external stress makes everything sound bad, and I usually just go for a walk to try to clear my head a bit and get back in the groove.
Especially salt and sugar. They seem to mess with the blood flow in my ears, creating a kind of temporary tinnitus that makes upper mids and treble harsher than normal. I have learned to avoid critical listening in these moments (notice I did not say I have learned to avoid salt or sugar - man's gotta live...)
Hadn't correlated anything with diet, although if what I'm eating or drinking affects my sleep, that is definitely a factor.
Moral of the story: If you want to critical test IEMs or music, don't limit yourself to one occasion and check the conditions carefully.
Having a TOTL IEM around for a week or 2 as part of a tour is the best way to really get to know it, and is a huge help in avoiding a purchasing error.
What happens to me if I say "EXT has slightly veiled upper midrange & treble with relatively poor detail retrieval that is not worth it, considering other hybrids that do better around its price or less, for eg Z1R" ? :blush: Just my own opinion after all. It is bucketing rain here today, so perhaps the lightning strike is not far away.⚡

May 16, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #58,783 of 90,228

nice! faceplate. I hope I can get one Rn6 by my pocket is not allow me lol

IMG_1611.jpeg

My professional life blurring the lines of digital communication, music and technology has afforded me unique opportunities, experience and connections around the world, just like my love for Star Wars.

None of that is more true than my relationship with FIR Audio, a Ukrainian born, Oregon based team that I’m grateful to be able to call personal friends.

Like my next costume in Axe Woves I’m building with Dan Betters and Laura Evonne for the 501st, their new launch in the Radon 6 was something I knew connected with immediately.

This design was intended to to represent just that, taking influences from the Nite Owls - the power that both aspects of my life have to create community

THIS is the way.
This is the way!!!!!

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #58,784 of 90,228
I can confirm that the HiBy R6 Pro II and the Sound Rhyme SR8 sound really good together - Acronyms UNITE! They definitely don't sound like a pair under $1500. Downsides? Some rough sibilance on the SR8, some bad battery life on the balanced connection from the R6. That's about it so far.

20230516_184616.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #58,785 of 90,228
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No worries at all my friend. I try to maintain a sense of awareness in my replies.

I was rolling a stash of recently arrived cables and was rolling to see if there new EXT synergies with EA Cleo II OCTA, Eros S, Ares S 8w and latest ET's Cassiel and Azrael. The conversation of having "off" listening sesh was very timely and resonated with my very "Blah" night, LOL. Which lead to a couple of cocktails and maybe a binge... DAP purchase... 🤭

Heheh. Is it a surprise?!?
Might be a surprise to him too if there were enough cocktails. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back