The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #86,866 of 88,035
I've also discovered a different phenomena in people's hearing different frequencies, outside of sibilance.

It seems some people hear bass where there really barely is any 😁

I just don't know the name of that situation.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #86,868 of 88,035
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #86,869 of 88,035
Looks like it’s between Ak SE300, Mojo 2 or.. nothing. N8ii sound sig doesn’t seem like it’s going to work and the RS8’s price is insane, can’t convince myself to buy a dap that expensive….

R8ii seems like a good compromise, but that Alcantara on the player, no way that’s going to work out long term. Might just roll with my Q5k.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #86,872 of 88,035
How does one find out what freq one is sensitive to? I mainly have issues with hi-hats/cymbals/crash sounding too sharp on impact lot of the time.
I guess the only way is trial and error. I am personally more susceptible to 8k, while many folks here dislike too much 6k. I guess you can play around with eq, learning the basics of eq definitely elevated my experience in audio.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #86,873 of 88,035
I finally got to watch Dune pt 2 since I couldn't find the time to go to a cinema. What an experience sound wise! I watched with my dad with my Xe6 customs. He used my DCA Stealths - RME knocked it out of park with the double output capability and individual volume settings since those earphones have vastly different power requirements :) I sort of missed the full body experience of a proper cinema audio but the Kinetic Bass totally delivered what was necessary to my skull. Also a shout out to my local audiologist who made those ear impressions perfectly, @Jedrula1 who sent the scans and FiR audio for making a custom set that is very comfortable! The Craft Ears Aurum it's modeled after is comfy as well but I figured the Xe6 would be a more cinematic experience. Also, I'm happy I shared a moment with my dad, after having kids it's kinda hard to find the time to spend with pops.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #86,874 of 88,035
They are both top of the game for that description. Depends where you want your warmth and your punch. I feel ike XE6 punches more toward lower mids/upper-bass while Trifecta is more even moving from sub-bass to lower mids... Treble presentation is different from memory. I found XE6 treble more incisive but it went over the line for me at times. I find Trfiecta smoother up top but I sometimes miss a little sharper edge there... For me, Trifecta presents a more cohesive wall of music, a wide sonic net, while XE6 is more peaky in places... Hope that helps...
I love both Xe6 and Trifecta but have to say I hear them like they graph up top, which is to say opposite to this description. Xe6 is clear but totally non-fatiguing up top, and almost immune to sibilance. While Trifecta can be smooth, but if the treble in a track aligns with its wild peaks, you'll hear them, and it won't be pleasant. It all comes down to treble sensitivity and if you prefer your sound bombastic and raw (Trifecta) or big but smooth and refined (Xe6).

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #86,875 of 88,035
How does one find out what freq one is sensitive to? I mainly have issues with hi-hats/cymbals/crash sounding too sharp on impact lot of the time.
I’d recommend using an EQ; whatever kind you have access to. Create a narrow peak (between 6-9dB in amplitude) anywhere on the EQ, then move it around until you hit a frequency that makes you wince. That’s where you’re most sensitive. Ideally, you’d do this with a neutral IEM, so you’re not inadverdently boosting where an IEM is already boosted or placing the peak where the IEM has a dip (thus nullifying its effect). But, any IEM that generally sounds balanced or even-keeled should do.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #86,876 of 88,035
Luckily our friend Dr. John Moulton of Noble Audio has a Ph.D in Audiology. Maybe @FullCircle can help?

Reverse-Slope Hearing Loss possibly?
To clarify, I'm just a low guy on the totem pole.

I do not have a Ph.D in Audiolgy, I have an Au.D in Audiolgy. PhD essentially means Audiologist in the area of research and academics, AuD essentially means clinical doctorate of Audiolgy.

(Regardless, any doctorate of Audiolgy is qualified to work in either academics or clinical settings)

Any how, it seems to me Pixelsquesh is describing Hyperacusis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539655/

or possibly Recruitment

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #86,877 of 88,035
Thanks John! :smiley:

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #86,878 of 88,035
Been away from audio for a while because 1) I am happy with what I have - only a new Elysian Flagship will be able to tempt me right now, and 2) decisions between....

IMG_7571.jpeg

IMG_7573.jpeg

IMG_7575.jpeg

Sadly I cannot afford the Datograph so I am just trying it out for fun:sob: But yeah so it is between the first two, completely torn between the classic white Lange 1 or the black L1 Moonphase (I have an 1815 UP/DOWN so an L1 model seems to be the most logical new addition). Also partly the reason why I haven't been buying new audio gear because I am saving up for these:joy:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #86,879 of 88,035
Been away from audio for a while because 1) I am happy with what I have - only a new Elysian Flagship will be able to tempt me right now, and 2) decisions between....

IMG_7571.jpeg

IMG_7573.jpeg
IMG_7575.jpeg

Sadly I cannot afford the Datograph so I am just trying it out for fun:sob: But yeah so it is between the first two, completely torn between the classic white Lange 1 or the black L1 Moonphase (I have an 1815 UP/DOWN so an L1 model seems to be the most logical new addition). Also partly the reason why I haven't been buying new audio gear because I am saving up for these:joy:
Both are very nice, I have a Fly Back Pulseometer Chronograph in white gold with blue lettering from Lange along with a Grand Lange One Moonphase in Yellow Gold. I want a Lumen Lange next.

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #86,880 of 88,035
[cross post from the Composer thread}

Thanks to @Uncle Wilson from Jaben SG, I have had the store demo unit of the Composer for a few weeks now. Initially, I was listening to the Composer out of my DAPs, as I was having a stay in hospital. Then, when I got home, I could listen to the Composer off my desktop rig. :)

I have included below the unboxing photos. As you can see, the Composer comes in a nice packaging. And it is a well built pair of headphones. There are echoes of how I feel every time I pick up my AKG K812Pro. Same sort of solid build which inspires confidence.

As for the sound signature of the Composer, I would put it down as very much a reference sound signature. It is pretty neutral. However, I have to agree that the sub bass of the Composer does hit very low and hard. The Composer does not have much in terms of colouration in its presentation. If the music is well mastered and recorded, you will be accordingly rewarded. If you are looking for a pair of HPs that will convey the layering, the details and the soundstage, then the Composer is for you. In that sense, it is an impressive pair of headphones at this price point.

The other thing I will say about it is this: whilst it will be driven nicely with a DAP, it really scales up with better sources and more driving power from a desktop rig. In that sense, it reminds me of the Utopia. Ditto for the HD800S.

I will say that the Composer is a very creditable flagship from the team at Austrian Audio.

If you are based in Singapore, you are in luck as Jaben SG has a demo unit. :)

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_4156.jpeg

IMG_4016.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back