The Ultimate Portable ...?
Apr 26, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 27
The 801 doesn't look any bigger than say, an iRiver H340 or something like that. How can you even compare that to a netbook? You can't put a netbook in your pocket...well, unless you wear those old Jnco skater pants I guess.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by violinvirtuoso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot about Line Out vs Phone Out. And yes, the amp will be used with the Triple Fis. And no I have not yet purchased the iBasso D4. This is because iBasso is currently out of stock.

Did you have an amp reccomendation. Any and all recccomendations for sources, amps, and cables are welcome. Thanks everyone.

Amp recommendation? Sure
smily_headphones1.gif
How much are you willing to spend? If you aren't going to need an optical-in in the future, I'd suggest keeping the D4 on your radar as opposed to the D10. If you DO get the D4, you should really read up on the topflight opamp that is made by a member here (I forgot his name but I did talk to him about them. Very friendly and knows his stuff).
If you're looking to spend in the ~300 range, I highly suggest the ALO Rx. I have about.... 30 hours on mine and love the sound I'm getting. Great battery life and gets my 3Xs to a whole new level of sound quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HiFiMAN is small, here is a picture comparison to my iPod Touch:

The iPod Touch and the HiFiMAN is about the same width, while the HiFiMAN is thicker of course to fit in all those superior components.

Thanks for posting that pic man. I always though the HiFi man was bigger due to pictures and whatnot (also coupled with various RSA amps which are already small).

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp recommendation? Sure
smily_headphones1.gif
How much are you willing to spend? If you aren't going to need an optical-in in the future, I'd suggest keeping the D4 on your radar as opposed to the D10. If you DO get the D4, you should really read up on the topflight opamp that is made by a member here (I forgot his name but I did talk to him about them. Very friendly and knows his stuff).
If you're looking to spend in the ~300 range, I highly suggest the ALO Rx. I have about.... 30 hours on mine and love the sound I'm getting. Great battery life and gets my 3Xs to a whole new level of sound quality.

Thanks for posting that pic man. I always though the HiFi man was bigger due to pictures and whatnot (also coupled with various RSA amps which are already small).

No problem man. Wow, I didn't know people actually thought the HiFiMAN was the size of a netbook? Lol, no, it's just a more thicker iPod Touch. It's about the size of 3 iPod Touch's stacked up. And, considering it's raw performance in terms of audio it's pretty small for it's size.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 27
I am really disappointed with the Hifiman's form factor and its shortcomings. I like the dap and DAC sections but that is about all. I think it's too big. The amp section is the downside of the whole unit. Yes, I know I can line out to a better amp but I hate to do that to add size and weight to the whole combo. The build is at most average and the design is non inspiring. Memory is limited as well as the user interface. That was my impression and I was hoping that the second revision can improve some of the above areas, but I don't think it is coming.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about the size of 3 iPod Touch's stacked up. And, considering it's raw performance in terms of audio it's pretty small for it's size.

Too bad we can't fuse them together, put the iTouch's screen and interface on the HiFiMAN, it's the right size (had no idea either)...
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really disappointed with the Hifiman's form factor and its shortcomings. I like the dap and DAC sections but that is about all. I think it's too big. The amp section is the downside of the whole unit. Yes, I know I can line out to a better amp but I hate to do that to add size and weight to the whole combo. The build is at most average and the design is non inspiring. Memory is limited as well as the user interface. That was my impression and I was hoping that the second revision can improve some of the above areas, but I don't think it is coming.

Yes, the amplifier built in the HiFiMAN though besting most if not all other media player built in amps is the shortcoming of this device. It has a DAC inside which is usually found in full size external DAC's costing thousands. Of-course a amplifier forced to be such a small size for portability won't unleash the true capabilities of this DAC.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by OMG teh Jambands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 801 doesn't look any bigger than say, an iRiver H340 or something like that. How can you even compare that to a netbook? You can't put a netbook in your pocket...well, unless you wear those old Jnco skater pants I guess.

I didn't mean comparing to usual netbooks, but those Sony p and x series netbook weighing 800g. The Sony p series netbooks are definitely pocketable.

I am still waiting for my S:flo2 to come. My next portable rig will definitely be tablet PC/UMPC + external DAC
wink_face.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 27
I heard the HiFiMan on the HE5 phones at a meet and nearly fell on my face and broke a tooth!

I havent directly compared with every top player out there, but i can tell you that combo sounded better than what many people listen to at home.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 27
Ditto, I went for the S:Flo2 as it was under £100. A LOT less than the 801. I'd consider saving for a revised future version if it fixed some of it's shortcomings. The 602 looks interesting too, but again I'll see what they're coming up with over the next couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back