The UE Triple Fi 10 owners thread, "Frankenstein lives!"
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
Don't see these talked about much around here, so I started a thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

They're less popular than its Shure buddy, the E500, most likely because they are harder to acquire currently.
Anyway, how many Head-fiers actually own a pair, and what # did you get?
I have 0587/1000, and the larger travel case just has "Triple Fi 10 Pro" engraved on it. (custom text wasn't an option)

For me, the Triple Fi started out sounding good straight out of the box with the stock tips, but they would get uncomfortable after awhile, particularly my left ear would ache.
I experimented alot with both the tips and fit, it wasn't uncommon for me to take them in and out 20+ times a day to adjust the fit in some way.
The large tips were "too large" for me, and I could not get a good seal with the small ones; whenever I moved my jaw the seal would break easily.
The biflanges never worked for me either, so I stuck to the medium tips. (the foamies I did like, but the rate I went through them it would not be economical to purchase them in bulk)

Later I saw that some Head-fiers used the Shure Black Olive with the TF, particularly here, and I became interested too.
These are excellent with the Triple Fi, they seal very well and are comfortable to boot.
After more experimenting with the fit, I got them the way I like now, and they don't ache anymore. (just gets slightly itchy sometimes if worn for many hours)
What I also noticed is that I turn the volume lower compared to before, but the sound still seems loud to me. Before I would sometimes turn the volume up to 9 o clock on the Hornet and find that to be inadequate sometimes, but didn't go higher to save my hearing.

Now I usually don't even go above the first mark on the Hornet volume dial, and I think this is plenty loud, and the soundstage is much better also.
I don't think it was a seal problem as I did have a good seal before also, it's more like the sound is being projected along the right trajects.

Well, enough about me, tell me about you.
What is your experience with these earphones, and if you upgraded your source/amp in some way, what changes did you perceive?

[size=small]
Triple Fi Limited Edition owners[/size]
, 15/1000 found!:

0050/1000: IPodPJ
0125/1000: slavazh
0292/1000: CamOp
0294/1000: aleman
0402/1000: flashbak
0422/1000: IEMaddict
0445/1000: YoungClayB
0483/1000: Audio Fidelity
0511/1000: Funkij
0587/1000: tk3, sold to NoXter
0665/1000: Sasaki
0673/1000: nfcj
0880/1000: jlingo
0886/1000: frekvens
0981/1000: mcoleg

[size=small]Triple Fi regular version owners:[/size] (2)

blipmusic
rx7_fan

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 64
Not an owner yet as I'm waiting for the new shipment to arrive. I've pre-ordered, though. Seems the UE site has been updated and redesigned (not too sure about whether I like it better than before, though) so I guess we're close. Yay.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way the nozzle of the TF10 looked too big for the Shure black olives but since you're using them I guess not. Makes me a happy guy as I really like the olives. Did they slide right on or did you have to mod them - like removing the inner tube or some such thing?

[Edit] Ah, just noticed your Shure olives mod link, there. Question answered.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 64
Why do some people think that the Triple Fi have sucked out midrange?

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 64
Proud owner of #445/1000 here
cool.gif

I upgraded from Sony EX71s to Super.Fi 5 Pros to the Triple.Fi's and the "trips" are by far the best headphone I have heard. I compared them to the AKG 701 a few weeks ago and I much preferred the IEM to the full sized can.

Before I got the triple.fi's I was always tempted to get the UE 10 Pro, but now I am afraid that the UE10's wont sound as good as the trips do - I like them that much. (enter the UE11...sigh)

I have a friend at work who is also into headphones. He was using the Shure E4C for a while and after he tried out the triple.fi's, he manged to purchase the very last pair from Amazon.

Regarding tips...I think the black tips that come with the triple.fis completely suck; its like the plastic/silicone that they are made of is just too hard...its not pliable enough to conform to your ears at all. I am actually using a pair of medium grey tips left over from my super.fis and they seem to work pretty good. I'll have to order some of the olives and see how they work. I am also very tempted to get custom tips from here: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cusfitearmol1.html but until I here from someone that the custom tips dont change the sound signature, I probably wont take the plunge.

I see that UE now has the triple.fi's for sale on their website. Thats great! I still can't believe it took so long.

Anyways, great phones. I'm glad you started this thread because you are right - there is hardly ever any mention of these great phones here on the forum.

-Clay

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 64
I'm 0402
smily_headphones1.gif
Question, did everyone here get the Roadie case with their purchase of the Triple-Fi? Cymbals are reproduced beautifully on these earphones.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungClayB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Proud owner of #445/1000 here
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by IEMaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im #422/1000, Great headphones! I Love mine! The mids improve bigtime with an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 0402
smily_headphones1.gif
Question, did everyone here get the Roadie case with their purchase of the Triple-Fi? Cymbals are reproduced beautifully on these earphones.

I guess all you guys purchased it from earphonesolutions or something, since you got them from a similar batch?
OP updated, keep these numbers coming guys, I'm interested in how many of the 1000 are active on Head-fi, would be nice if we could get a whole list.
smily_headphones1.gif

@Flashbak, all the limited edition should come with the roadie case.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 64
Looks like UE has a frequency chart up for TF10 now, I can't get it to load though, and the cropped image doesn't show much.

@flashbak: weird that you didn't get the larger case, since you have a number you got the limited edition.
I would contact their customer service and see if they can send you one.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do some people think that the Triple Fi have sucked out midrange?

Not some but most. The mids are a bit recessed but with longer tips can be brought more in line with the bass and treble. The Shure and Ety midranges are just plain better.

Oh yeah, the Westone cable will fix the mids up nice. A good choice if you get them used(not full price that is). Then they should punish the Ety and E500. Without it though, the ER4S is just plain better overall and for people who like strong bass and/or mids so is the Shure.

The right amp will fix the mids also but I believe they are picky with amps .

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 64
TK3,
Yes, I was under the impression that my serial number was part of the limited edition especially since they still weren't offically released yet, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Let me ask again, did everyones order prior to the official release include the roadie case?

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TK3,
Yes, I was under the impression that my serial number was part of the limited edition especially since they still weren't offically released yet, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Let me ask again, did everyones order prior to the official release include the roadie case?

I love my triple.fi 880/1000. I'm using Ety foamies with the inner tubes removed which improve sweeten and thicken the midrange significantly.

I can't really compare it to UE-10 as the sound signature and presentation is essentially different. UE-10 is definitely much more refined, very black background, clean sounding, thick/full with VERY DEEP BASS to boot.

Triple.Fi with ety tips has sweeter midrange, more exciting high, better texture(Thawcky sound) but the bass is not as deep compared to UE-10 Pro. It's got a bigger soundstage but slightly harsher in sound/ less refined compared to UE-10. The sound presentation of Triple.Fi is also more distant, open, and relaxing. Both are excellent IEMs.

So I don't think of UE-10 as an upgrade to Triple.Fi, you can appreciate both IEMs in different ways. I'm glad that I own UE-10 though, it's got an excellent isolation. Surprisingly, Triple.Fi 10 Pro is very Euphonic. It's my best Universal IEM to up to date IMO.

To me Triple.Fi and UE-10 Pro is like comparing RS-1 and PS-1.
RS-1 is very exciting fun sounding slightly thinner and hasher, but PS-1 sounds fuller, beautiful midrange, very refined, clean, with deep bass.

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #13 of 64
Thank you for your impressions, I've added you to the list.
etysmile.gif

Nice to hear someone who has both these IEMs, since it's so uncommon.

UE-10 was not an option for me although I briefly considered it, since in Europe they seem to think the Euro sign means the same thing as Dollar and then they may even add some numbers to the US price.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 64
292/1000 here. I ordered directly from UE, so the roadie case and accessories were included.

Had to have the 'trips replaced in April '07, due to a broken socket where the cable plugs into the monitor (right side). The adhesive that held the socket in place just seemed to give up. Other than that... love 'em!

Some days, the small tips fit well. Other days I have to use foamies to get the right fit. Orange Shure seems to work better for me than the grey UE. I look forward to trying the Shure black olives.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 64
Hi there, mine is #665/1000.
I've got the Roadie case with labeled "TRIPLE.FI 10 PRO". I bought it from earphonesolutions on April.

I am using triple.fi with iMod 5.5G + Gold X Silver iMod cable + SR-71, this is bulky but really bring out the full potential of triple.fi.
If the portability matters, I will use nano 2G + Cryo Micro ALO dock + Tomahawk, this is also awesome sounding combo for the size.

I am interesting in your Shure black foamie mod, but the new foamies are not sold separately yet for Japan. I will try as soon as they become available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back