The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 547
Just ordered the UTWS1 and the LC-BT2. Can't wait for them to arrive!
Just got my utws1 and LC-BT2. Don't get your hopes up too high. Utws1 with my Andromeda S and Gold, and my Audiosense T800 sound significantly worse than my Samsung Galaxy Buds+.......

LC-BT2 has promise, but still not as good as my Momentum True Wireless.....

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #33 of 547
Just got my utws1 and LC-BT2. Don't get your hopes up too high. Utws1 with my Andromeda S and Gold, and my Audiosense T800 sound significantly worse than my Samsung Galaxy Buds+.......

I won't say it is a exactly fair comparison - UTWS1 (or TRN BT20S / BT20 and Foster TM2) simply doesn't have the driving power for most low impedance multi-driver IEM. It is a poor match and of course it will have poor sound.Your best chance will probably be an easy-to-drive, single driver, normal impedance (16~32ohm) setup - even so, it will never going to be anywhere near be-all-end-all. It is ultimately a convenience-over-SQ device. Same can probably be said on LC-BT2. If they are good enough, there won't be any reason for FiiO to make the BTR3(K) or BTR5.

Dedicated (*driver non-removable) BT headset is another matter - the driver and the BT section is matched / optimized to produce a certain sound - it will be fair to compare to these headset with adapters if the drivers are the same, otherwise it is more or less apple to orange.

Apr 4, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #34 of 547

I'm not surprised by UTWS1, but I am surprised that you feel LC-BT2 doesnt compare to MTW. Given the comparison to ES100 balanced above, I would have thought Fiio has utilised the increased volume (space) within the neckband compared to any TWS. I would expect UTWS1 with a decent IEM to beat most TWS (just like I would expect units like BTR5 and ES100 to beat a neckband unit like LC-BT2). In general, I mean, of course.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #35 of 547

I am surprised by this assessment too.
I have never heard the Audiosense, and I haven’t spent much time with CA iems - tbh I feel a dislike bordering on disgust for a good portion of their line-up, which I find fussy in all the wrong ways. What @ClieOS asserts about their drive compatibility is probably a good explanation.

I have my UTWS1 paired with the original IMR R1, which are closer to the sweet spot. I never chimed back with impressions because the fit with the UTWS1 is terrible, it makes the R1’s usually comfy body grate against my antihelix and antitragus, in spite of my ear’s anatomy being quite accommodating. I can only wear them for or an hour or two before it gets painful. Too bad because it’s an ingenious design.

But SQ-wise I find the UTWS1 transparent and satisfying. It’s using Qualcomm’s onboard audio chip surely, and those have progressed by leaps and bounds; ironically they’ve never been better, now analog headphone jacks are all but gone on phones.
Just three years ago an onboard solution would have been a death knell, but a modern miniature Qualcomm DAC/amp chip? Yeah, it sounds fine, and lets the R1 express itself. The strong bass, forward tuning, adequate detail, it's there. Not worse, perhaps even better than from the ES100’s single-ended output.

The Nuforce HEM8 however, a 4-BA affair, sounded dark and dull, which is what happens when it’s paired badly. The HEM8 properly driven is supposed to snap, and the UTWS1 kills it down, in addition to seal being a matter of mandatory pressing on the earpiece! It’s definitely a picky source.

Where BT receivers still have a place is in their ability to drive more demanding gear, balanced output, software support, longer battery life, and compatibility with any cable. But the basic ones, with just a 3.5mm jack and no app, are pretty much nullified by a device like the UTWS1.

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #36 of 547
I am quite surprised as well. I have a whole bunch of gears, BTR3/BTR5/UP2/UP4 among them and they perform very well with my Andro S/Gold and T800. But pair them with utws1 killed them. And to position utws1 to add convenience to existing IEMs in my opinion doesn't make sense with the quality of the current TWS products on offering. If even the cheap Chinese TWS Sabbat significantly outperforms (AQ-wise) utws1 with good IEMs, why not just buy another pair of TWS earbuds and so be it...... And PS, the more I listened to the Galaxy Buds+, the more I like them. Dual Dynamic Drivers...... And they can be had for free with a phone.......

The LC-BT2 is a good attempt but I have a hard time debating whether a BTR5 with the wired IEMs are more convenient or the LC-BT2 is. I guess for jogging and working out, probably the LC-BT2. But for cafe or commutes, probably the BTR5.....

Having said that, I can only hope that in the future, wireless solution will get close to the audio quality of wired. I can dream, right? Maybe I will try the Shure one coming out......

PS. A tip for the TWS out there. Tip rolling to ensure proper fit does wonders. For instance, I use MTW with AET07, Track Air + with Sedna Earfit short, and Buds+ with Spinfit CP360 to ensure proper fitments. With these, they sound a lot better than stock tips. ymmv

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #37 of 547
I'm still disappointed in the bluetooth connectivity of my UTWS1's.
I got a new (to me) phone, LG V20. Really nice sounding phone.
Bluetooth with it is better, sounds good if I sit at my desk and listen. Can't walk with them, still get lots of dropouts if I"m walking, but at least now I can use them at my desk.
Fiio and Aliexpress support was worthless in helping me.

I have mine connected to CFA Lyra II's. These are dynamic drivers, and the UTWS1 does a good job driving them. Comfortable too. The Lyra's are much smaller that Andros. The size and shape of the Lyra's works well with the UTWS1.

Randy

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #38 of 547
Fiio LC-BT2 sounds v good imho.
But the poorly fitting two pin connection and the overly stiff curved ear cable make them completely unusable for me.

I want to hack into it and attach soft cable and better 2 pin connectors

I am enjoying using my Plussound PV3 / poetic cable at the moment. Lovely LDAC with my new Sony 507 DAP.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #41 of 547
Apr 14, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #42 of 547
Hmm I like the look of the skinny cables on that one.

the stiff FiiO ones are not good.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #43 of 547
Reserved

DSC_0007.jpg

ELC-BT.JPG

Impression on TRN BT20, BT20S, FiiO UTWS1 and Elecom LBT-HPC1000RC to come...

Did you ever end up reviewing the Elecom LBT-HPC1000RC? Can't see it on this thread...

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #44 of 547
Did you ever end up reviewing the Elecom LBT-HPC1000RC? Can't see it on this thread...

I didn't. But a short and sweet version will be that it is more for convenience rather than SQ. This probably sum up just about every cable-type BT adapter, regardless of price and brand.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #45 of 547
I hacked my Fiio’s

cut off the stiff 2 pin ear hooks

grafted Ares II 2 pin terminations

works great now sounds great

looks a bit scruffy.

I can honestly recommend them if you replace the ear hooks!

(thanks to @ClieOS for soldering advice)

BAD372C1-A8F5-4590-98C3-090B6D6361B3.jpeg
29110DC2-C566-4E1C-BCA1-A7388FEC4B07.jpeg
9DF880C5-3479-4938-B979-C3A20B9C66B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back