The True Meaning of 'Summit-Fi'
Jun 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 29
Point is that Stereophile is not well versed, current or deep in their knowledge of headphones that are available.

I don't necessarily disagree. They're not a headphone-centered publication. They are, however, more than capable of assessing the sound quality of a given component and their top tier ratings include a variety of cans that were auditioned and compared.

The Focal and NAD are excellent cans in their price range.  Can't say I am a fan of some that went before these two on the wall.  However, I take every review with a grain or three of salt.  In Tyll's case I factor in his biases of which I am aware (for example he does not like even slightly bright headphones while I often do).  Consumed in that way, I find them to be useful.  I also find his reviews to be more honest than those of the average bear reviewer.  That remains true regardless of whether or not I agree with the review/opinion expressed in whole or in part.

I also understand that InnerFidelity is a business and requires copy and eye balls.  That issue, not driven by Tyll--but who must more or less comply with current business model, is to me the more problematic one, especially in the last year or two at the IF site.

Fair enough.

:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 29
Tyll is going to have something new next week. And the week after. New headphones, or amps, or dacs, or what have you. I'm sure things like the 550 slip through because they are in some way different than what he's been experiencing and in the short term that difference leads to some level of excitement, regardless of merit. 

The rest of us have to be more careful with what we want and even what we expect because we have to actually pay for it and keep it substantially longer. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 29
Slim pickings doesn't mean that sub-par products should be listed on something (err...) modestly called a Wall of Fame. Then, when the mood strikes, as it seems as arbitrary as that, the Wall of Fame is suddenly revised, because Tyll heard something he liked more. The other product is then removed from the Wall of Fame, as it clearly doesn't sound as good today as it did the night before, and the ball keeps on rolling. It's an endless cycle of immature, incomplete reviewing. Embarrassing, really.

That's silly. It's a price/performance value recommendation list. And the fact that headphones get swapped out recognizes the changing market and the headphones that Tyll has auditioned.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 29
That's silly. It's a price/performance value recommendation list. And the fact that headphones get swapped out recognizes the changing market and the headphones that Tyll has auditioned.

A changing market every few months. Okey-dokey.

If you like it, that's great. My objections have been previously outlined in great detail. Nothing else to say.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 29
You must not be aware of all the new headphones that have come out in the last couple of years. It's an interesting time for people interested in headphones.

I said, "months," as can be seen just inches above. Not exactly an honorable way to proceed. Trying to put words in my mouth as a lead-in for a cheap shot only reinforces my belief that you're here solely to argue.

In 20 years on various boards I've never blocked anyone. Please don't put me in that position.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 29
In 20 years on various boards I've never blocked anyone. Please don't put me in that position.

Oh, please :p

I said, "months," as can be seen just inches above. Not exactly an honorable way to proceed. Trying to put words in my mouth as a lead-in for a cheap shot only reinforces my belief that you're here solely to argue.

Then you should try to make rational sense. Look at the number of headphones that came out in 2014 alone that made it onto those lists. The range of headphones available to consumers on the market is changing rapidly. Of course those lists are going to have new headphones.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 29
Great post! This really doesn't get said enough around here.
Really reminds me of this old post: Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly

Not surprisingly, it's still relevant today. Or perhaps more so.
Summit-Fi is some silly word concocted by those who feel Hi-Fi isn't expensive or exclusive enough. :rolleyes:

Hey thanks for sharing the link to the post.

I just wanted to share with head-fiers new and old that you can attain a peak level of enjoyment. It has very little to do with the gear, rather it is more about our perceptions. There will always be something better. This can become an endless chase for some, in which they are never satisfied because of feelings of inadequacy or intolerance of imperfections.

So my advice is simply to relax, and spend more time actually listening and enjoying.

A simple test to know if one may have lost the 'way' is if you spend more time on head-fi than actually listening to what's on your head. :wink:

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 29

why do you have to fight in every single thread you visit? 

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #25 of 29
why do you have to fight in every single thread you visit? 

Sure seems to me like we were having a discussion where both sides eventually agreed, not that it would matter to someone who posted solely as a means of taking a shot from the sidelines.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear what you think of Summit-Fi and its implications, along with Innerfidelity's recommendations. Please share your thoughts and experience.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #26 of 29
Sure seems to me like we were having a discussion where both sides eventually agreed, not that it would matter to someone who posted solely as a means of taking a shot from the sidelines.

There's "taking a shot." And there's pointing out a flawed assertion. Let's review what you said again,

Then, when the mood strikes, as it seems as arbitrary as that, the Wall of Fame is suddenly revised, because Tyll heard something he liked more. The other product is then removed from the Wall of Fame, as it clearly doesn't sound as good today as it did the night before, and the ball keeps on rolling. It's an endless cycle of immature, incomplete reviewing. Embarrassing, really.

As I pointed out, that's silly. Replacing headphone A on the list with headphone B that recently came out does not imply that headphone A no longer sounds good. It recognizes that newer headphones are emerging in the market that are better price/performance values. It's not just Tyll that does this, but many Head-Fiers find that a new headphone is better than one that they previously liked at a given price point. It is the nature of the hobby given the number of new headphones that are continuously coming out and the new manufacturers that have been releasing good headphones over the last couple of years.

Now if you have a response that is not flippant like your last one,

A changing market every few months. Okey-dokey.

we could discuss this.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #28 of 29
I'm glad you feel free to speak for Tyll. He may be thrilled, as well.

I have no desire to discuss this with you. Goodbye.

You might want to deconstruct the binaries you are setting up. You spoke for him first when you said, "as it clearly doesn't sound as good today as it did the night before."

:rolleyes:

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #29 of 29

The True Meaning of Summit-Fi...

<pic>​

...is whatever you take to the top.​

​

A simple little rig like the one above (iPod 6th Gen and Sony MDR-EX7550) is by no means 'perfect', but it doesn't have to be.
Hiking my way to the summit with these were some of the enjoyable listening experiences I've ever had.
Try not to get too caught up in the technology and products. Take some time to get out - or sit back - and enjoy the music.
 ​

I figured we shared similar tastes for sound at the Calgary meet. You helped me find out what I liked and what my next purchases strategy would be. Now, I appreciated your taste for common wisdom. It's good to have a post like this from time to time to bring us back to the grounds, and to make a healthy sense of things we value. While I know I'll buy an LCD-2 :p down the road, I enjoy the music gear I own on every occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back