The Touhou AND Vocaloid music thread!
Jul 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #241 of 535
Quote:
IA is QUICKLY becoming one of my favorites of the new batch of Vocaloids and here are 2 examples why!
I love it when Vocaloids do real rock too! 
o2smile.gif
 This group of Sweet Ann, Luka, Iroha, and IA really works!

I haven't heard very many IA songs so far, but based on what I've heard I can't say that I like her. Only a couple of the songs I've heard were good musically (I'm referring to the instrumental parts), but none had vocals that appealed to me. The problem might just be that I haven't found the really good songs, or perhaps people just don't know how to use IA's voice very well yet. Most likely the reason is that her voice just seems to lack character. To me she sounds like a... professional singer. And in this case I mean that as a negative thing. She sounds like she's just singing the words that someone shoved in front of her a minute ago, and manages to sing everything without any flaws in technique but doesn't add anything that wasn't on the lyrics sheet to the song. The only characteristic I can detect in her voice at the moment is clarity. It's not warm (or even cold), just... clear, and maybe reasonably realistic to some people. The thing is that I don't personally care if a Vocaloid sounds "realistic" on some tracks or not; I only care about what the Vocaloid (well, the track as a whole to be more specific) sounds like, not how it compares to how a human would deliver the same vocals. But yeah, like I said perhaps I just need to hear more songs, and perhaps people who are using IA need time to experiment with her voice and each find their own unique IA.

Quote:
What is real rock?

That is an excellent question. I don't listen to a lot of popular music, but based on the songs I've heard here and there, a lot of pop artists these days throw in a couple of electric guitars to be part of what is basically a pop song and people instantly call it rock music. What I find slightly annoying is when people automatically call music that's being played on jazz instruments jazz. I'm not going to read what's the "official" definition of jazz music, but I'd like to think that it contains at least a very small degree of improvisation. Calling easy listening music played on drums, bass, piano and maybe a saxophone jazz is in my opinion degrading.

But I'll stop there before I truly start ranting, and I'll start embedding songs. It seems all of my songs today have a PV and each one even has a unique singer lineup if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't trying to achieve either, so I guess they were lucky accidents.

A few words about two of the songs. Song six is sung by Kasane Teto. I guess she isn't technically a Vocaloid, but I assume she's welcome here nonetheless. The second thing I wanted to mention is that the last song (Tuonela) is available for FREE from the artist's Bandcamp page. I don't believe you even need to create a profile or anything and you can choose the file format you wish to download. Lossless formats (FLAC and ALAC) are available and the download comes with the instrumental version as well.

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #242 of 535
I am actually friends with the creator who wrote the Teto Song! He even sent my both of his cds because he liked my Youtube comments!! He is HUGE Keith Emerson as well as a fan of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer!
He also REALLY likes Uriah Heep as he Had Rin Cover  Look at yourself which Youtube Pulled for SOME DUMB reason!
I'll repost his ELP=MRH which is STILL one of my all time Vocaloid songs... I am also putting my favorite Luka song as you can even here riffs of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery... Along with his lastest song... His version of Miku Playing Airwolf on a Distorted Hammond C3 is pretty neat too, EVEN  though its JUST an instrumental...
Teto is an Utau, different Technology from the Vocaloids. TwinDrills her Official Creator has his own Youtube channel too I am also including TS use of Teto as he is SOOO Good at using her...
As for real rock. When I see SOLID Guitar work, Forceful Vocals, a driving drum beat that is Rock Music to me. Having decent keyboards and a solid base cement it for me.

AND JUST because Air wolf is KEWL:

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #244 of 535
Quote:
Bonus points if you've heard/know the original:

Mmm. Delicious VOCALOUD. /me queues up VOCALOUD x XIII SESSIONS

Speaking of Vocaloid, I recentily grabbed the VOCALO.ID 2 album. Compilation album of Indonesian producers and Vocaloids (it's apparently the second one; I missed the first, it seems). Free to download: http://www.vocapost.net/t680-release-vocaloid-2-compilation-album-2012

-- Griffinhart

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #245 of 535
Quote:
I am actually friends with the creator who wrote the Teto Song! He even sent my both of his cds because he liked my Youtube comments!! He is HUGE Keith Emerson as well as a fan of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer!
He also REALLY likes Uriah Heep as he Had Rin Cover  Look at yourself which Youtube Pulled for SOME DUMB reason!
I'll repost his ELP=MRH which is STILL one of my all time Vocaloid songs... I am also putting my favorite Luka song as you can even here riffs of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery... Along with his lastest song... His version of Miku Playing Airwolf on a Distorted Hammond C3 is pretty neat too, EVEN  though its JUST an instrumental...
Teto is an Utau, different Technology from the Vocaloids. TwinDrills her Official Creator has his own Youtube channel too I am also including TS use of Teto as he is SOOO Good at using her...

TinySymphony's Liberator was the first Vocaloid album I ever purchased. I can't say that I've listened to it from start to finish as an album yet, but I've heard all of the songs at least once at one point or another. Trying to catch up with almost five years of Vocaloid music made after the introduction of Miku literally exploded the scene has kept me pretty busy over the past 8½ weeks. It doesn't help that I've slowly started exploring modern electronic music as a side project. There was a point in my life when I was just starting to explore popular music and Emerson, Lake and Palmer felt like one of the coolest things on the planet. It's been at least a couple of years since I've listened to their discography, but at some point in the future I'll re-rip their albums on my HDD (They are currently in AAC form, but I'd prefer to have them as ALAC.) and rediscover their music. I didn't start listening to music until I was maybe 15 or something, and it was pretty much thanks to Nobuo Uematsu's music that I realized that there is actually good music in this world. Interestingly enough I learned several years ago that he lists ELP as one of his musical influences so one could say that I've been indirectly familiar with them to a small degree years before I bought my first ELP CD.

Teto has on interesting voice... Since she is an UTAU, her voice isn't as polished as the Vocaloids and the artificiality in her voice (or any synthesized singer's voice for that matter) often translates in my mind as added vulnerability or fragility. But in some of the Teto songs I've heard she sounds like she has lots of character / a strong attitude which makes an interesting combination, almost as if her very existence was at risk but she doesn't let it affect what she wants to do in life and just pushes forward.

And on to this time's videos... I've been having problems managing my playlists on YouTube even since they made changes to how information is displayed below the videos. Until today I was practically unable to edit my Vocaloid playlist which resulted me in creating a second playlist which wasn't a complete waste since the first one already had over ten hours worth of content in it. Hopefully YouTube gets their act together soon... Anyway, I kind of picked the ten songs below before I started typing this message, and now that I mentioned Teto I would been kind of bad if I didn't include a Teto song in her honor, so the 11th song is a 12½ min. monster which spans a variety of genres in relatively successful manner. Also, normally I've followed a personal rule of not posting more than one song per artist in the same message, but this time around I have two song by PTaka since I couldn't resist the opportunity of including both a GUMI and an AI song to add some variety into the mix.

A single sentence about each of the songs (except the Teto song) in the same order the videos are in:
•Yes, I've finally posted a daniwellP song.
•When I heard this song for the first time I wasn't sure at first if I was going to like it or not, but once I heard Luka say "Eru" I immediately knew I was going to love the song.
•This GUMI song was posted recently, but it's already one of my current favorite GUMI songs for some reason and as an added bonus it's available as a free download at PTaka's Piapro page.
•Is there no end to Miku's cuteness?
•Taishi's There has possibly the worst Luka vocals I've heard to date, but some of the parts are actually pretty good and the instrumental parts are very solid, so the song is actually quite superb.
•I'm not sure if John Zeroness' / Jon's (じょん
) own vocal version has been posted on YouTube, but it's awesome.
•I need to hear more kagomeP.
•PTaka is offering this IA song as a free download at his Piapro page.
•This song by Freezer is available as a free download as part of an EP that can be found here.
•It's interesting to listen to Rin sing "Because I'm a human..." near the end of the song.

+

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #247 of 535
I found some Nice Teto as well as Teto with Miku!
The creator has  few nice ones. They are NOT new songs BUT when you combine the models and motion I just really like them!

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #248 of 535
I've been trying to listen to a bit less music during the past week or so because I've heard so much music during the past couple of month that I think my ears and mind deserve a small break so I can perhaps have a slightly fresher approach to music I hear. Anyhow, a week or two ago I came across this cover of Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" sung by Luka, and although I don't really like Adele that much, don't like the original song very much either, and am not a fan of covers in general, I surprisingly think this is pretty good. I do think that someone else could have definitely made a better version, but regardless of that I even think that I prefer this cover to the original song.

I have the album but didn't have it on the computer I'm using right now, so I looked it up on YouTube and yes, I'd rather listen to the Luka version than Adele's. Usually pop songs aim to make the chorus the most exiting part, but for me the original song sound kind of dull but ok when it begins, but when the first chorus kicks in it's an instant turn off for me. Things get louder but not better. In fact, the opposite is true and I get the urge to immediately hit the stop button. The Luka version on the other hand is much softer and I can actually listen to it without the vocals irritating the hell out of my ears. But this is just my personal preference of course.

I've also embedded a cover version of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" which is probably the most likable Adele song I've heard, and I also think that in this case the original is better than the Vocaloid cover. As a side note, I noticed that Adele's official YouTube video for "Rolling in the Deep" has over 310 million views, which for a person like me who uses YouTube primarily to view videos that typically have anywhere between 100 to maybe 30k-50k views, feels slightly overwhelming.

OK, this is a last second addition; since I was talking about cover songs, the song below was posted on the official Hatsune Miku Facebook page a couple of days ago. It's a cover of "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" and it contains what is probably the best pronounced English I've heard from Miku, although I haven't heard that many songs where people have tried to make her sing English as well as possible. The fact that the video was uploaded in April 2008 also makes the video slightly more impressive, at least for me.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #249 of 535
Here is the same song using Miku Append :)  It sounds a bit different and is off the project Diva game...
Here are few others too :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #252 of 535
Quote:
I absolutely love this the PV for this song:

Song is pretty damn nice too...

That is a very interesting PV.  I kinda like the style.

Quote:
Who does all these fantastic videos for vocaloid tracks anyway?

Mostly a crazy big artistic community I think.  :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #253 of 535
Most use a program called MikuMikuDance...

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #255 of 535
Well, first post, so hello to you forums (and just a small special thanks to all the info you've in-brained into me so far and for all the info and rankings and reviews and shootouts and guides and feedback and etc. and resources you've provided me). I thought I'd finally post something since I saw this thread pop up. Not sure if anyone's posted any Ritsu already, but I've fallen pretty deeply in love with him(?) recently. I guess he doesn't fit here exactly, since he's a UTAUloid, but I really, really love his new voice and voicebank, so here you go, enjoy some of my personal faves from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back