The Tipping Thread :: How Much And Why?
Apr 25, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #46 of 70
15-25% for me... depending on how flush I am for cash at the time. Unless someone really goes out of their way to help me, in which case I put in a little extra.

Not really a fan of it. I think it is somewhat degrading in concept (almost treating a worker as a servant who has to compete for the crumbs of your largesse... at least that's the way I've always felt when I've worked in a tipping job) but it does get a little extra cash into the hands of those that deserve it. That's why in general I like to decide how much I'm going to tip (based on my economic condition, and if I'm a regular there) before the meal that way I at least know that the poor worker isn't having to scamper for my cash. (Too bad there isn't a way to communicate that to them politely... that would be excellent)

For non-monetary transactions (like a free shuttle to a hotel) I usually tip a dollar at minimum but sometimes more... This is something I'm never sure about. The worst is when someone provides a service and you don't even see them... like say a chamber maid... What's the deal then? Do you tip and if so, how do you leave the money in such a way that it is obvious to the maid that it is a tip?

The tip jar scenario is also something I find confusing... Generally if it is like coffee or something I just toss any coins I got back in change (because I hate coins anyway) into the jar. Other times I don't put anything in. Unfortunately it is more or less random because I've never decided on a standard policy about this.

Sometimes tipping is a useful tool of manipulation... like if you need some extra help / an exception to the rules from someone. Then it baisically works as a non-verbalised bribe... which sometimes is useful. Case in point, whenever I'm in a city without transportation and the hotel I'm staying at has a free in-city shuttle I always tip the driver heavily because 9/10 times it allows you to basically have a car service at your beck and call (for a 1/10 of the price of a taxi). But again, I always hate doing it... feels degrading to both myself and the worker.

Also, tipping can be used to manipulate others opinions of you. As a peculiar tool of social leverage (because people often attribute ridiculous things to how you tip) there are few things that can be so bluntly and cynically twisted to your advantage.

Apr 25, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #47 of 70
In general, I'll tip anywhere from 0 to 30%. I'm not one of those people who feel obligated to leave 15%. If the service isn't good, I have no problem leaving no tip at all. If it's great, I'll slap down 30% and maybe even more. On a very few occassions when a waiter went completely out of his or her way to make my evening, I've tipped close to cost of the entire meal.

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #48 of 70
There was a cute little sign at a bar I used to frequent in Chinatown in Boston, Massachusetts, it read, "No, tipping isn't a country in China!"
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
IME, in northern Europe, tipping isn't required (In fact, some companies prohibt their employees from accepting tips). I have never seen a tipping jar in a fast-food place here and if you pay the exact amount on the restaurant bill, noone will yell at you
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally feel that a tip is something you leave out of gratitude for an above average service and I really hate places that have these "hidden" costs so it is impossible to know beforehand what you are expected to pay
frown.gif

Basically the same in Belgium. Tipping jars can sometimes be found, but mostly in small business, big companies tend to forbid tips.

If you're regular at a place, tipping a bit helps though. But it's not really a percentage, just 2 to 5€, according to the quality of the service (and your mood/finances).

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #50 of 70
I typically do 15-25% on meals. I do 30-40% on things like hair cuts.

I do tend to tip very heavy when it's obvious the person has gone to extremes to make sure I had a pleasant experience. This is not to be confused with servers who merely do things to fish for a bigger tip. There is no harm in that of course, because it usually ends up in better service.

Tipping is kind of a wierd custom, and it has gotten some what out of hand with all the tips that are expected these days. But with most services, I think it's a valuable part of the transaction. Not only does it incent the service provider, but it gives them feedback on how well they are doing. Sometimes anyway. Some service members think that the bad tip was because the customer was an a-hole, instead of that they didn't provide good service. Now, of course that scenario is probably true a lot, but if a service member gets a lot of bad tips... they are the common denominator.

I also don't have any qualms with tipping badly or not at all when service is poor.

Kind of a funny story. One time I was at Macaroni Grill with my then girlfriend. If you've ever been there, you know they try and add a little bit of flair by using a paper table cloth, and give you crayons. Which is kind of lame considering they are attempting to be at least a half formal/fancy place. The water draws their name all fancy, and you can draw goofy little things on the table cloth while you're waiting ect.

Well we had particulary bad service on night. The place was not crowded at all, several empty tables. And the waitress serving us was also serving the table DIRECTLY next to us. The food came out fine, but she never came around to fill our tea, which we had both drained while eating bread before the food ever came out. When the food did come out, she didn't ask us if there was anything else we wanted, but I chimed in that I would like some tea when she was walking off. She nodded and said coming right up, but never brought the tea. She came to the other table twice in a span of maybe ten minutes to check on them, but never once speaking to us, or filling our tea. We both put our tea glasses on the edge of the table clearly empty. After yet another visit from the waitress to the other table, I decided to be a smart ass and draw circles and arrows on the table cloth pointing to the tea. I also wrote thank you with a smiley face underneath the glasses so she'd know it was a joke when she picked them up. Well she finally came to give us our tea and she smirked and gave me a foul look when she did it. Sorry lady, but if you can't realize you're own mistake and poke fun at yourself and apologize, but instead you give customers dirty looks, you're going to get what you deserve.

So after the meal was done and we got our bill, I decided to be even more of a smart ass. I hand calculated a 20% tip with the crayons on the table paper. Then using the red crayon this time, put a HUGE X over it, and then placed a crisp dollar bill underneath it and circled it. It was a pretty terrible tip considering the bill amount. In retrospect I was being kind of a jerk with that last stunt, but in my defense I was a lot more immature in my younger years
biggrin.gif
These days, I'd just leave the dollar and bail.

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
I typically do 15-25% on meals. I do 30-40% on things like hair cuts.

I do tend to tip very heavy when it's obvious the person has gone to extremes to make sure I had a pleasant experience. This is not to be confused with servers who merely do things to fish for a bigger tip. There is no harm in that of course, because it usually ends up in better service.

Tipping is kind of a wierd custom, and it has gotten some what out of hand with all the tips that are expected these days. But with most services, I think it's a valuable part of the transaction. Not only does it incent the service provider, but it gives them feedback on how well they are doing. Sometimes anyway. Some service members think that the bad tip was because the customer was an a-hole, instead of that they didn't provide good service. Now, of course that scenario is probably true a lot, but if a service member gets a lot of bad tips... they are the common denominator.

I also don't have any qualms with tipping badly or not at all when service is poor.

Kind of a funny story. One time I was at Macaroni Grill with my then girlfriend. If you've ever been there, you know they try and add a little bit of flair by using a paper table cloth, and give you crayons. Which is kind of lame considering they are attempting to be at least a half formal/fancy place. The water draws their name all fancy, and you can draw goofy little things on the table cloth while you're waiting ect.

Well we had particulary bad service on night. The place was not crowded at all, several empty tables. And the waitress serving us was also serving the table DIRECTLY next to us. The food came out fine, but she never came around to fill our tea, which we had both drained while eating bread before the food ever came out. When the food did come out, she didn't ask us if there was anything else we wanted, but I chimed in that I would like some tea when she was walking off. She nodded and said coming right up, but never brought the tea. She came to the other table twice in a span of maybe ten minutes to check on them, but never once speaking to us, or filling our tea. We both put our tea glasses on the edge of the table clearly empty. After yet another visit from the waitress to the other table, I decided to be a smart ass and draw circles and arrows on the table cloth pointing to the tea. I also wrote thank you with a smiley face underneath the glasses so she'd know it was a joke when she picked them up. Well she finally came to give us our tea and she smirked and gave me a foul look when she did it. Sorry lady, but if you can't realize you're own mistake and poke fun at yourself and apologize, but instead you give customers dirty looks, you're going to get what you deserve.

So after the meal was done and we got our bill, I decided to be even more of a smart ass. I hand calculated a 20% tip with the crayons on the table paper. Then using the red crayon this time, put a HUGE X over it, and then placed a crisp dollar bill underneath it and circled it. It was a pretty terrible tip considering the bill amount. In retrospect I was being kind of a jerk with that last stunt, but in my defense I was a lot more immature in my younger years
biggrin.gif
These days, I'd just leave the dollar and bail.

LOL!

That's hilarious
biggrin.gif

She got what she deserved IMO.

If the service is good and the bill is small, i usually tip quite a lot. for example a 10$ lunch with good service i'd probably end up tipping 30-50%, or more. because at that point, even a 25% tip is like 2 bucks
tongue.gif

Same goes with delivery... that job totally sucks, and to then tip them only a few dollars is really lame. I say at least 5$ for delivery pizza and whatnot, unless it's really late arrival (then again, it might be late because your house is really hard to find... gotta put things in perspective always)

i say if the service was bad, still leav ~10%, but then complain to the manager. leaving a very small tip (one dollar, 5%, etc) is incredibly rude IMO. 10% is still enough to not be making yourself an A-hole, but enoguh to say "hey, this service was not good enough". But really, if you had a problem you should speak with the manager. Because they are the only ones that can get that worker to improve, or fire them if it's a very serious problem.

Leaving no tip.... eh. I don't think you should *ever* do that. I mean these people get paid minimum wage as it is many times, so IMO leaving no tip is an even bigger insult than leaving a tiny tip. they gotta pay the bills too, yknow?

yknow after reading this thread, i will think about each meal singularly when i tip. i haven't done that as much so far... like tipping more if i asked for custom dishes or whatnot.
eek.gif
somehow it never occured to me to factor that into my tip. whoops
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #52 of 70
I usually tip around 10%, but 20% if it's a delivery and maybe more if the service was REALLY good. Once, we ordered 10-15 pizzas on new years eve, around midnight (at a party). I had to pay, but I wasnt too concentrated by then... So I forgot to tip the dude. I just payed him and closed the door. Man, that must suck. He didnt yell though.

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

NICE GUY EDDIE
Okay, everybody cough up green for
the little lady.

Everybody whips out a buck, and throws it on the table.
Everybody, that is, except Mr. White.

NICE GUY EDDIE
C'mon, throw in a buck.

MR. WHITE
Uh-uh. I don't tip.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Whaddaya mean you don't tip?

MR. WHITE
I don't believe in it.

NICE GUY EDDIE
You don't believe in tipping?

MR. PINK
(laughing)
I love this kid, he's a madman,
this guy.

MR. BLONDE
Do you have any idea what these
ladies make? They make ****.

MR. WHITE
Don't give me that. She don't
make enough money, she can quit.

Everybody laughs.

NICE GUY EDDIE
I don't even know a Jew who'd have
the balls to say that. So let's
get this straight. You never ever
tip?

MR. WHITE
I don't tip because society says I
gotta. I tip when somebody
deserves a tip. When somebody
really puts forth an effort, they
deserve a little something extra.
But this tipping automatically,
that ****'s for the birds. As far
as I'm concerned, they're just
doin their job.

MR. BLUE
Our girl was nice.

MR. WHITE
Our girl was okay. She didn't do
anything special.

MR. BLONDE
What's something special, take ya
in the kitchen and **** your ****?

They all laugh.

NICE GUY EDDIE
I'd go over twelve percent for
that.

MR. WRITE
Look, I ordered coffee. Now we've
been here a long ****in time, and
she's only filled my cup three
times. When I order coffee, I
want it filled six times.

MR. BLONDE
What if she's too busy?

MR. WHITE
The words "too busy" shouldn't be
in a waitress's vocabulary.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Excuse me, Mr. White, but the last
thing you need is another cup of
coffee.

They all laugh.

MR. WHITE
These ladies aren't starvin to
death. They make minimum wage.
When I worked for minimum wage, I
wasn't lucky enough to have a job
that society deemed tipworthy.

NICE GUY EDDIE
Ahh, now we're getting down to it.
It's not just that he's a cheap
person--

MR. ORANGE
--It is that too--

NICE GUY EDDIE
--It is that too. But it's also
he couldn't get a waiter job. You
talk like a pissed off dishwasher:
"**** those ***** and their
****ing tips."

MR. BLONDE
So you don't care that they're
counting on your tip to live?

Mr. White rubs two of his fingers together.

MR. WHITE
Do you know what this is? It's
the world's smallest violin,
playing just for the waitresses.

MR. BLONDE
You don't have any idea what
you're talking about. These
people bust their ass. This
is a hard job.

MR. WHITE
So's working at McDonald's, but
you don't feel the need to tip
them. They're servin ya food, you
should tip em. But no, society
says tip these guys over here, but
not those guys over there. That's
bull****.

MR. ORANGE
They work harder than the kids at
McDonald's.

MR. WHITE
Oh yeah, I don't see them cleaning
fryers.

MR. BROWN
These people are taxed on the tips
they make. When you stiff 'em,
you cost them money.

MR. BLONDE
Waitressing is the number one
occupation for female non-college
graduates in this country. It's
the one jab basically any woman
can get, and make a living on.
The reason is because of tips.

MR. WHITE
**** all that.

They all laugh.

MR. WHITE
Hey, I'm very sorry that the
government taxes their tips.
That's ****ed up. But that ain't
my fault. it would appear that
waitresses are just one of the
many groups the government ****s
in the ass on a regular basis.
You show me a paper says the
government shouldn't do that, I'll
sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll
vote for it. But what I won't do
is play ball. And this non-
college bull**** you're telling
me, I got two words for that:
"Learn to ****in type." Cause if
you're expecting me to help out
with the rent, you're in for a big
****in surprise.

MR. ORANGE
He's convinced me. Give me my
dollar back.

Everybody laughs. Joe's comes back to the table.

JOE
Okay ramblers, let's get to
rambling. Wait a minute, who
didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE
Mr. White.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
Mr. White?
(to Mr. White)
Why?

MR. ORANGE
He don't tip.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
He don't tip?
(to Mr. White)
You don't tip? Why?

MR. ORANGE
He don't believe in it.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
He don't believe in it?
(to Mr. White)
You don't believe in it?

MR. ORANGE
Nope.

JOE
(to Mr. Orange)
Shut up!
(to Mr. White)
Cough up the buck, ya cheap
person, I paid for your *******
breakfast.

MR. WHITE
Because you paid for the
breakfast, I'm gonna tip.
Normally I wouldn't.

JOE
Whatever. Just throw in your
dollar, and let's move.
(to Mr. Blonde)
See what I'm dealing with here.
Infants. I'm ****in dealin with
infants.

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #54 of 70
Whats your take on a catered delivery, where the drivers comes by the party and sets the table and food out in whatever way the customer wants it. how much would you guys tip?

Say you knew the driver had to carry/deliver a couple hundred pounds of food. 100 people cost around 2 grand. Do you tip by amount of the bill or the number of people?

Apr 26, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #55 of 70
The caterer should of accounted for the tips/service charges on the invoice.
This was negotiated beforehand.
I have seen tip jars at the bartender stations at catered events, though.
I rarely see one at the carving table. Is that because the roast beef guy only gives you one portion and the bartender may be a heavy pourer?
that I can't say, but there are some people that will complain that a drink is "too strong".

Apr 26, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #56 of 70
I tip as follows:

Delivery - 10% [Reason: There is already a delivery charge]
Horrible Service - Nothing
Poor Service - 10%
Standard Service - 15%
Good Service - 20%
Exceptional Service or I know the server personally - 25%

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #58 of 70
Sduibek - That is Reservoir Dogs. If you havent seen it, do yourself a favour and go rent it right now! Its a great movie.
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
PeterR- What is that from? Movie, I assume. Awesome script
eek.gif

Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino.

Edit: Got distracted before hitting submit, so philodox beat me to it. Yes, great movie, feel the urge to watch it right now. Maybe I will...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #60 of 70
Yeah, I think that I might watch it when I get home too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back