The Ten Commandments for Technicians
Jan 7, 2004 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tangent

Top Mall-Fi poster. The T in META42.
Formerly with Tangentsoft Parts Store
Something that's been going around for years in various forms:

[size=medium]The Ten Commandments for Technicians[/size]
  1. Beware the lightning that lurketh in the un-discharged capacitor, lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most untechnician-like manner.
  2. Cause thou the switch that supplieth large quantities of juice to be opened and thusly tagged, that thy days in this earthly vale of tears be long.
  3. Prove to thyself that all circuits that radiateth and upon which thou worketh are grounded and thusly tagged lest they cause thee to make like a radiator, too.
  4. Tarry not amongst those fools that engageth in intentional shocks, for surely they are non-believers and are not long for this world.
  5. Take care that thou useth the proper method when thou takest the measure of a high voltage circuit lest thou incinerate both thyself and thy meter.
  6. Take care thou tampereth not with safety devices and interlocks, for this incureth the wrath of thy supervisor and bringeth the fury of the safety inspector upon thy head and shoulders.
  7. Work thou not on energized equipment, for if thou dost, thy fellow workers will surely buy beers for thy widow and console her in other ways.
  8. Service thou not equipment alone, for electrical cooking is a slothful process and thou wilst sizzle in thine own juices until thy Maker sees fit to end thy misery.
  9. Trifle thou not with radioactive tubes and substances lest thou commence to glow like unto a lightning bug and thy wife have no further use for thee except thy wages.
  10. Thou shalt not make unauthorized modifications to equipment, but causeth thou to be recorded all field changes and authorized modifications made by thee lest thy successor tear his hair out and go slowly mad in his attempt to decide what manner of creature hath made a nest in the wiring of such equipment.[/list=1]

Jan 7, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 14
you sir are an uber-geek .... ;-p ...

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 14
ok, own up: how many of us are sinners??
biggrin.gif

g

Jan 7, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

• Beware the lightning that lurketh in the un-discharged capacitor, lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most untechnician-like manner.

Guilty. It's even more scary when you're working on a power supply because I thought it was "the real hard stuff" and not just a little spark...
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 14
How about: Thou shall thy temptation of the op-amp?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Take care that thou useth the proper method when thou takest the measure of a high voltage circuit lest thou incinerate both thyself and thy meter.

I love this one the most because it's so classic geek, screw your own life, you're liable to break your precious voltmeter.

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

4. Tarry not amongst those fools that engageth in intentional shocks, for surely they are non-believers and are not long for this world.

When I was in college back around 1980, my favorite professor invited all the students to grasp a pair of metal handles connected to an induction coil, while he slowly pulled out a brass control rod from the core of the coil. At full output, my hands and forearms were humming, twisted, palsied knots of deathgrip on those handles, with no muscular control whatsoever. I suspect professors are too concerned about lawsuits to pass that kind of current from limb to limb through the heart nowadays, but I loved it and would do it again anytime.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back