The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Dec 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #241 of 750

I've always loved this interview and the bass tone comes through even on youtube. Great to hear if your headphones are turning out true bass. But one really needs to know what this particular bass sounds like in life. Otherwise it's just a case of what one prefers. It may sound nice on a headphone but not true to reality. There is so much varied tone he gets in this hour interview, your headphone should be giving you lots of shades of color if it's 'right'. It shouldn't sound 'robo' or singular in any way. You should be able to hear shades of tone throughout.

and you should easily hear the difference between jaco's bolt on neck fender jazz and that laminated thru body that the interviewer is using. His tone should come across as more 'rubbery' and tubby whereas jaco's is more mid centered with much less low end and alot more upper harmonic content. the fender is a much lighter feeling tone all around.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #242 of 750
Quote:

I've always loved this interview and the bass tone comes through even on youtube. Great to hear if your headphones are turning out true bass. But one really needs to know what this particular bass sounds like in life. Otherwise it's just a case of what one prefers. It may sound nice on a headphone but not true to reality. There is so much varied tone he gets in this hour interview, your headphone should be giving you lots of shades of color if it's 'right'. It shouldn't sound 'robo' or singular in any way. You should be able to hear shades of tone throughout.

and you should easily hear the difference between jaco's bolt on neck fender jazz and that laminated thru body that the interviewer is using. His tone should come across as more 'rubbery' and tubby whereas jaco's is more mid centered with much less low end and alot more upper harmonic content. the fender is a much lighter feeling tone all around.

Yes, it is impossible to say whether the Paradox or any heapdhone produces a tone close to real life. Too many variables. I don't however find it difficult to differentiate these qualities you mention with the Paradox. On the contrary. But I don't have any totl dynamics to compare. My K702's do it just as well, just differently. In this scenario, since they sound different, it would be just down to preferences. As I said, I don't disagree with your assessments. 

I would like to say again though, by stating that "tone" is just another element in sound. I could enjoy a really funky (in a bad way) sounding bass if it were more tuneful and better at distinguishing the musical information I mentioned vs. something that isn't but I guess sounds closer to "real". So many variables though, so I'm fine with a headphone not sounding as real as possible. Other priorities, and speakers generally, at least good ones, sound more real anyways. 

Thanks for the video! Have to watch that through as I get home from work. When it's only one instrument that's being played, it's difficult to focus on pitch articulation, since it's pretty clear regardless of gear. I guess discussing the reality of the tone is easier especially if one has hands on experience with the material. Not that I don't know what a Fender Jazz sounds like live :) ... Having said that, a Paradox is close enough in most cases, heh. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #243 of 750
Quote:
^^ I now own the MD's and have only auditioned the Paradox about a year ago. But to me, the Paradox was wonderfully neutral while the MD with dogpadz has more bass presence. If you are asking if you can add the dogpadz to the Paradox, the answer is sure but you wouldn't want to. The hp's are tuned and tested to work in a specific way to get the hallmark signature that are designed for. Changing the pads would greatly screw those results. 

Interesting, the MD I have has less bass than my Paradox. Both have been purchased within the last month or two.

Possible product variance for one or both?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #244 of 750
Quote:

Yes, it is impossible to say whether the Paradox or any heapdhone produces a tone close to real life. Too many variables. I don't however find it difficult to differentiate these qualities you mention with the Paradox. On the contrary. But I don't have any totl dynamics to compare. My K702's do it just as well, just differently. In this scenario, since they sound different, it would be just down to preferences. As I said, I don't disagree with your assessments. 

Yeah, with my personal modded T50RP the differences are very, very clear. My favorite basses (forgive my lack of knowledge) are the beat up bass with the P-fretboard and the really nice fretless one jaco starts playing around 40 minutes in.

That video did have gobs of distortion (the t50rp is very happy to reveal things like this), I mean even just in their voices when they talk. It's a shame it's not a bit higher quality, I could have probably enjoyed it a lot more.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #245 of 750
Quote:

Interesting, the MD I have has less bass than my Paradox. Both have been purchased within the last month or two.

Possible product variance for one or both?

Did you happen to check in with Dan at Mad Dogs?  He might be able to review the pair you have to ensure that they are in spec.  There have been a few released that had some bass issues, and they can get resolved by Dan.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #246 of 750
This really should not be the case.  The Paradox does not put any emphasis on the bass at all.  The MD is tilted to the bass just a tad.  So if listening to the exact same track.  If that track calls for lots of bass the Paradox will indeed give it to you.  However, the MDs should give you even more because of the slight bass tilt. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #247 of 750
Quote:
This really should not be the case.  The Paradox does not put any emphasis the bass at all.  The MD is tilted to the bass just a tad.  So if listening to the exact same track.  If that track calls for lots of bass the Paradox will indeed give it to you.  However, the MDs should give you even more because of the slight bass tilt. 

+1...exactly. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #250 of 750
Just received 2 pairs of Paradox. I was a bit "afraid" during the 2 month wait when used ones started appearing on the FS...
And boy did my fear change to fascination when I put them on.

The best closed headphone I've heard. Clarity. Linearity. Comfort.

A longer review will follow in 4-5 weeks. But in short. A perfect complement to LCD-3 and HD800. Heck, I could keep (only) these for a long while and be more than satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back