The Super Freq custom fit IEMs (My Journey)
Dec 31, 2007 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 275

grandenigma1

Member of the Trade:Enigma Audio
A few days I placed an order for a pair of Super Freqs on a whim after stumbling across their website. Hard to pass up custom fit 3 driver IEMs for $189.99

Two days later the kit arrives.

TheFreqbox.jpg

In side the box is two impression kits, pair of gloves, return labels and postage as well as instructions.

TheFreqgoodies.jpg

About 18 minutes later the impressions are done and ready to be sent back.

TheFreqimpressions.jpg

The whole process was rather painless and while the method instructed on how to take the impressions was entirely contradictory to that of instructions on the Westone impression kits packaging it seemed to work well enough.

now back to waiting.....

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume that you're allowed to get the impressions done professionally, right? Or, for some reason, do you have to use their kit specifically?

Yes, you are allowed to get it done professionally. The kit is provided as a convenience to those who perhaps do not have the time, money or availability of an Audiologist in their area.

Their enclosed letter has a number which you can contact if you have any questions about the manual process.

As I said, the process was very simple and straight forward. Never at any point did I feel as if something was wrong or that I was not doing something right.

For those who are worried about the accuracy of the fit with their own impressions The Freq offers a 30 day fit policy.

One last note. They do supply two kits for if you happen to mess up with the first. I assume that if you do manage to mess up both that more kits can be sent.

I have made impressions a few times in the past for custom tips for various Shure and Etymotic IEMs so doing it yet again was not a problem for me.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. What is the turnaround time once you have made the impressions?

I don't recall what they said the turn around time would be (or if they said it for that matter) but I will let you know as soon as I do.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 275
It's true that the instructions they gave you to do the impressions are easy. However, from what I see, your impressions are very cursory and superficial. If you look at the canal portion, it is simply a stub when it is supposed to be a tube like thing.

If you look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.earplugstore.com/kitinstructions.htm

You can see what a good impression looks like. The kit that FreQ provides you does not have enough tools to create a good impression.

You cannot make a good impression by simply sticking some silicon goo in your ear and stuffing it in.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true that the instructions they gave you to do the impressions are easy. However, from what I see, your impressions are very cursory and superficial. If you look at the canal portion, it is simply a stub when it is supposed to be a tube like thing.

If you look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.earplugstore.com/kitinstructions.htm

You can see what a good impression looks like. The kit that FreQ provides you does not have enough tools to create a good impression.

You cannot make a good impression by simply sticking some silicon goo in your ear and stuffing it in.

I did exactly what I was instructed to do and we will see what the results are. The canal portion is actually a bit longer than it appears. It is just a poor top down image. We shall see what I am told. As the other kits I have used in the past did use a syringe.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 275
Referring to the picture, both impressions on top look better by a fair margin.

Good luck with your custom IEM's, btw! Hope their sound meets or surpasses your expectations!

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 275
Thumbs-up for taking one for the team! We will be waiting for your impression when the new 'phone arrives
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to your review, keep us posted. Did they say what options are possible, colors etc?

If you add them to your cart you can see the available color options. Seems to be your typical options for the body and black or white for the cable. Lazy and boring me just went with triple black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back