The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Aug 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 615
I thought EMI was Electromagnetic interference, which comes from all electronic devices. It was my iPod Classic. Tested it as well with my iPod Video. Same thing happened. I was testing the latest components that start shipping this month from JDS Labs. Apparently they changed a few things inside. Anyways, I couldn't find the time to do the review so I sent it back, unfortunately. 

EDIT: Please keep in mind I'm using some pretty sensitive CIEM's....
Quote:
EMI from iPod? I don't realize iPod is capable of radio wave emission (of significant level) at all. Are you sure it isn't the noise from some other components? For example, microdrive from older iPod, etc. I could understand if it is an iPhone cause those are known to be real bad with EMI (I am using a Samsung for testing, btw). Also, what headphone you were using at the time? I tested with SE530, which is notorious for picking up hiss. But I am certain there are worst out there. Even so, wait till you hear the FSM-01 before you know what counts as really bad hissing - it is like having two mosquitos flying inside your ears.
My C421 are all current models btw.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 615
thanks for a very informative review!! i'm still trying to learn about the technical details of how source/amp/headphones work together so this has been very helpful!

question.. given that i have certain IEM/headphones/earbuds and their specs, how should i choose an amp that has good synergy with it, using the specs/ratings that you've listed here?

thanks!

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 615
I thought EMI was Electromagnetic interference, which comes from all electronic devices. It was my iPod Classic. Tested it as well with my iPod Video. Same thing happened. I was testing the latest components that start shipping this month from JDS Labs. Apparently they changed a few things inside. Anyways, I couldn't find the time to do the review so I sent it back, unfortunately. 

EDIT: Please keep in mind I'm using some pretty sensitive CIEM's....

Yes, all electronic has some EMI, that's why I say 'of significant' as you can hardly find any typical strong EMI source in household than your cellphone (well, except for the microware). Maybe is because of your CIEM that you can pick up hiss and EMI more easily? Can't say for sure.

.. given that i have certain IEM/headphones/earbuds and their specs, how should i choose an amp that has good synergy with it, using the specs/ratings that you've listed here?

As far as synergy is concerned, I tend to look for the opposite of each gear, meaning I am trying more to compensate gears rather than trying to compliment. For example, the great rendering of depth on C421-AD8620 pairs really well with IEM, which generally isn't good in this area. The more upfront C421-OPA2227 might go well with full size because they don't lack depth, but could use more richness.

However, synergy is really more of an issue for sub-$100 amps really, as many of the sub-$200 amps reviewed here have much less 'flavor' and sounds quite neutral overall. The difference are much less significant. Then again, less significant is probably still too significant in the ears of audiophiles.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #21 of 615
Another great shootout and a nice read! Cheers... 
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #22 of 615
Thanks for the comments, guys. As great and fun to play around portable amps, it is unlikely I'll continue with another amps shootout as this is getting kind of out of control for me. I think I almost double my yearly spending since I decided to do amp shootout at late last year. It has been fun but I'll stick back to IEM and earbuds for now. :p

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #23 of 615
I was really hoping you would do a sub-$500 shootout. Maybe you can get loaners from the companies or other members, I bet they'd be happy to loan them to you.
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, guys. As great and fun to play around portable amps, it is unlikely I'll continue with another amps shootout as this is getting kind of out of control for me. I think I almost double my yearly spending since I decided to do amp shootout at late last year. It has been fun but I'll stick back to IEM and earbuds for now.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #24 of 615
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, guys. As great and fun to play around portable amps, it is unlikely I'll continue with another amps shootout as this is getting kind of out of control for me. I think I almost double my yearly spending since I decided to do amp shootout at late last year. It has been fun but I'll stick back to IEM and earbuds for now.
tongue.gif

That seems a sensible and wise decision! Obviously, everyone would like to see more of these shootouts you do so well, but maybe you can try loaners as suggested above. Even so, you already done a nice job with the two shootouts you did. Personally, I'm happy as it is, as 200$ is my budget for a new portable amp... 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #25 of 615
Quote:
...this is getting kind of out of control for me. I think I almost double my yearly spending ...

Welcome to headfi, sorry about the... waitaminnit...
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #27 of 615
Oh, I'll still review >$200 amps when I have the chance, but it just not going to be in a shootout fashion since that requires more than a handful of amps to make sense. Loaner is a valid idea, but I am half a world away from most amp makers and I don't want to bear the risk of having expensive amps shipping across the world and the responsibility of getting taxed or even worst, lost during shipping. It is just impractical in the long run.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #28 of 615
Moving to the US might be cheaper in the long run.....
Quote:
Oh, I'll still review >$200 amps when I have the chance, but it just not going to be in a shootout fashion since that requires more than a handful of amps to make sense. Loaner is a valid idea, but I am half a world away from most amp makers and I don't want to bear the risk of having expensive amps shipping across the world and the responsibility of getting taxed or even worst, lost during shipping. It is just impractical in the long run.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #29 of 615
I was in NY state for 3 years as an undergraduate. Been there, done that :D

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #30 of 615
Great comparison! Wish you posted this before I bought my E17 but so far i love it! I think you should mention that the E17 can be used as a stand-alone dac for those with desktop amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back