The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Aug 23, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #376 of 399
RunAbout is a very solid portable amp that has no problem beating most, if not all sub-$100 amp, though probably not going to top the $200 category. QuickStep will indeed be an even better amp to have and should easily be one of the best of any price range.
Thank you very much for the input.
Sure the RA can't be as good as the top sub-$200 amps but it will probably be enough for my needs (size, power, removable 9V battery, SQ) , we'll see, it's my first portable amp :D

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #379 of 399
http://bengkelmacro.com/
15748717_10211306783611381_372913380_o.jpg
15776516_10211306784011391_1401239707_o.jpg
15748123_10211306784691408_1738792234_o.jpg

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #380 of 399
This is probably a stupid question...

do I need an amp?

The reason I ask is that I've seen about 50% of posts/articles saying yes...  and 50% saying no.  (Or, specifically, not unless your source isn't able to drive the volume enough.)  Some reviews state that IEMs perform better with an amp (even sub $20 IEMs), some reviews don't even mention them.  As I'm just officially entering the HiFi world I find this to be far more confusing than anything else I've looked into so far.

So I guess the better question is, how do I know whether or not I need an amp?  (Keeping in mind I use IEMs 99.99% of the time.)

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #381 of 399
  This is probably a stupid question...

do I need an amp?

The reason I ask is that I've seen about 50% of posts/articles saying yes...  and 50% saying no.  (Or, specifically, not unless your source isn't able to drive the volume enough.)  Some reviews state that IEMs perform better with an amp (even sub $20 IEMs), some reviews don't even mention them.  As I'm just officially entering the HiFi world I find this to be far more confusing than anything else I've looked into so far.

So I guess the better question is, how do I know whether or not I need an amp?  (Keeping in mind I use IEMs 99.99% of the time.)

What IEMs do you have?

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #383 of 399
  Nothing overly fancy, just the 1MORE E1001s.  If I get an amp though I would be testing it with whatever IEMs I have lying around, just for ****s and giggles.

I guess you don't need an amp if your source has enough power to make them shine.

You're right, if you're curious and have the money, you can get an amp to try different stuff, hear different sound colorations and different pairings with cans and sources you encounter, to know better what your preference is. 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #384 of 399
  I guess you don't need an amp if your source has enough power to make them shine.

You're right, if you're curious and have the money, you can get an amp to try different stuff, hear different sound colorations and different pairings with cans and sources you encounter, to know better what your preference is. 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks!  My source will most likely be a FiiO X1 (which I'll try to fill up with lossless rips of my favorite CDs).  I was looking at the FiiO A5 and came across the A3...  but I wanted to see if either of these would even be worth it in the first place.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #385 of 399
  Thanks!  My source will most likely be a FiiO X1 (which I'll try to fill up with lossless rips of my favorite CDs).  I was looking at the FiiO A5 and came across the A3...  but I wanted to see if either of these would even be worth it in the first place.

Fiio A5 has good reputation, so as Fiio X1 line out. 2 good products.
Also that you may be able to hear the true potential of your iems with a bit more and "good" power.

Sorry for your wallet my friend 
biggrin.gif
, don't forget to get a good interconnect, good eartips, a leather case, 128gm micro sd, etc hahaha
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #386 of 399
  Fiio A5 has good reputation, so as Fiio X1 line out. 2 good products.
Also that you may be able to hear the true potential of your iems with a bit more and "good" power.

Sorry for your wallet my friend 
biggrin.gif
, don't forget to get a good interconnect, good eartips, a leather case, 128gm micro sd, etc hahaha
beerchug.gif

Hahah.  Thanks.  I have a few smaller spare MicroSDs I was going to start with, until they were full.  (I know lossless will eat up the space quickly though.)  I was also looking at Comply tips but was going to wait to see how they fit and seal was with the stock tips.  I mean, it comes with a staggering 9 sets of tips!  The case for the 1MOREs looks pretty solid, but you're right, I would need one for the X1.  Though mostly it'll stay at work as that's there the vast majority of my listening happens.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #389 of 399
X1 has more than enough output to drive 95% of all IEM out there to good performance, so no, you don't need an amp now. Instead, save the money for even better source that has a really good headphone-out, then you know you don't need an extra amp around.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #390 of 399
  X1 has more than enough output to drive 95% of all IEM out there to good performance, so no, you don't need an amp now. Instead, save the money for even better source that has a really good headphone-out, then you know you don't need an extra amp around.

Thanks!  I was looking at the X3 as well, since it's just $70 more... but at what point do I stop the "it's just a little bit more"?  What are other good portable lossless media players?  By which I mean, ones that won't make me weep whenever I look at my bank statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back