The Stigma of Head fi
Apr 5, 2005 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

wanderman

Headphoneus Supremus
What equipment purchase has caused familiy and non audiophile friends to go crazy. Have you gotten questions "Why are they so expensive?", "Are they wireless?"* or "It's not like you can hear the differencee?". There Is a stigma that comes with being an audiophile. You always look like a big spender that tries to believe that their equipment sounds better. The majority of people seem to see audiophiles as indviduals as frivolus spenders. How did you handle the stigma with firends and familiy. Did you get new firends/familiy? How much of the stereo types do you feel are ture

about the wireless thing all my friends seem to think that any good set of headphoens are wireless.

Okay I think I am done are there any expirences you can share.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 60
After my girlfriend found out what I paid for my last set of interconnects, I quit telling anyone what I pay for my gear. When people see it and comment, I don't tell them what it costs, I just let them listen for a few minutes. When they say "Wow, that sounds really, really good" I just tell them that it costs a load of money but it's worth it to me.

PS--I then went into my girlfriends walk-in closet and counted 28 different white blouses hanging on the rack. Mind you, that's just plain, solid white ones. I couldn't even begin to count the others. She quit giving me crap after that!

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 60
I told my girlfriend how much my phones were worth and she tried to slap me. Haha we were supposed to be saving for a summer trip. I also drive my parents crazy because I buy and sell like crazy. It drives them mad.
icon10.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 60
nice FLCL avatar.
i find the snob factor is way lower than if someone walked in and saw a home theater system for the big bucks. something about monster speakers screams excess even to the layman, but cans can be a stealthy guilty pleasure.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 60
I don't talk to anyone about audio stuff, unless they ask. Most people don't seem to understand.
smily_headphones1.gif
My wife is OK with me buying audio stuff as long as individual items aren't "too" expensive but she doesn't show much interest in it and hasn't listened to most of my headphones.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
I told my girlfriend how much my phones were worth and she tried to slap me. Haha we were supposed to be saving for a summer trip. I also drive my parents crazy because I buy and sell like crazy. It drives them mad.
icon10.gif

I cry thinking about the trip I'm taking next month - and that i could have bought a HP-2 and a Melos Gold amp with that cash...but the wife wants to go, am i going to say no, no vacation this year, shush while i listen to these sweet cans? (no way...)

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I cry thinking about the trip I'm taking next month - and that i could have bought a HP-2 and a Melos Gold amp with that cash...but the wife wants to go, am i going to say no, no vacation this year, shush while i listen to these sweet cans? (no way...)

same here
smily_headphones1.gif
almost.. i´m looking for a different amp
smily_headphones1.gif

but i also enjoy vacation and diving and the new amp will be my first purchase when we are back!
smily_headphones1.gif

ps: my gf is also "ok" with my buying quite expensive audio stuff (and selling it after a few weeks) - as long as it fits in our apartment and don´t look cheap/boring/whatever
smily_headphones1.gif

the good thing about head-fi stuff is, I can always tell her I just buy it not to disturb her
smily_headphones1.gif
if she doens´t agree about something i wanna buy, my next ideas are much bigger speakers for our ht system
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
a big spender that tries to believe that their equipment sounds better.

CD3K

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 60
Most of my friends don't care much about audio and the few that do usually think that best buy top of the line IS top of the line. I have only one friend that shares my passion for audio. As for my wife, she does not ask about the price and does not really care about using any of the gear. It helps to have side projects to pay for the toys so its not very apparent how much I'm spending. I know people who spend lots of cash for things like golf clubs, electronic gadgets, DVDs, night clubs, sport cars etc. Does my wife need all the new close, shoes, bags etc.? The thing with audio is that most people don't pay much attention to the quality of the sound and usually go for the bells and whistles (lots of LEDs, 9EQ options etc) or the looks or brand name / marketing crap. Example, Sony, Bose, B&O etc...

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 60
Some people know very little about music but have spent tens of thousands on hi-fi gear. That's when most "neutral" people have negative comments to make.

For example, some people can't tell you what a perfect 4th interval is, or what a fifth is, or what a ii-V-I chord progression is.

Sure, listening to music isn't about analyzing the music that way. It's about the pure enjoyment. But, at least make an effort to know what it is you're listening to.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 60
I know plenty of gamers that think spending more than $50 on headphones is outrageous, yet every few years they spend hundreds even thousands on upgrading their computer and video equipment. Audio is one investment that doesn't become obsolete.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
...yet every few years they spend hundreds even thousands on upgrading their computer and video equipment.

Count me in:

Dual Xeon 3.6 GHz 800 MHz
Intel Server Board SE7525GP2
4GB Corsair PC2700 ECC Registered
Dual Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 U320 SCSI
e-GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Intel SC5275E Chassis

Razer eXactMat
Viewsonic P225fB
Unicomp Customizer 104
Logitech MX 1000

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 60
My wife doesn't understand audio at all so I don't talk to her about it. We have limited resources with a big mortgage, a house that needs work, and two young children. She is only concerned with the money that's being spent.

We have reached a compromise on audio spending. Anything I spend on audio, I have to give her the same amount of money that she can use for herself. I have about $1000 to play with and a pool of various audio products. I buy used equipment and sell old stuff when I want to try new gear.

Some of my friends are interested in gadgets and electronics and others are interested in music. None of them are really interested in both, though. The only new friends I make that would be considered audiophiles are new Head-Fi friends.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 60
Thanks for the avatar compliment. I have every episode of flcl on my iriver it is good stuff. I think people tend to frown upon it because they don't know enough about what is in that field or they may just be stingy. Ignorance is bliss when you think the best you can buy are some crappy 50 dollar buds you think that you have top of the line, why spend more. Most people are born audiophiles but they come to learn what sounds good and spend money to find that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back