The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #22,636 of 24,807
My friend he owns the O2mk1/407/LNS,(I sold him the 407 & LNS, all our lambdas use 507 leather pads)

Both of us agreed that the 407/LNS sound better than the O2mk1 on his 007TA
(the O2mk1 is slow, muddy,veiled on the 007TA)
the woven Nylon LS sound clean & clear, but it's somewhat etchy,

Then we heard the PVC LS, the sound is jaw dropping,
the PVC LS has the fullness smooth sound of LNS, the resolution & timbre of nylon LS , the bass impact of 507,soundstage is the largest,
it has the best bass texture,best vocal,highs and more..
it is significantly better than any other stax we heard

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #22,637 of 24,807
Better hope it's the PVC version I am getting 
size]

Sure it's not the pads, have you tried swapping? Pads can make a BIG difference speaking from experience. Also, can you post a picture that isn't as close-up? Would be very nice..

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #22,638 of 24,807
Quote:
Better hope it's the PVC version I am getting 
size]

Sure it's not the pads, have you tried swapping? Pads can make a BIG difference speaking from experience. Also, can you post a picture that isn't as close-up? Would be very nice..

The PVC LS was come with the 404 pads, the 404 pads sound sweeter, but dirtier,

507 leather pads are good, better sound textures, clear ,transparent sound
all our lambdas use 507 leather pads

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #22,639 of 24,807
Quote:
The PVC LS was come with the 404 pads, the 404 pads sound sweeter, but dirtier,

507 leather pads are good, better sound textures, clear ,transparent sound
all our lambdas use 507 leather pads

Interesting.. I recently heard about a fellow head-fier changing from old grado pads to new grado pads complaining quite a lot about the very apparent lack of bass. Funny what pads can do...

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #22,640 of 24,807
Quote:
If they sound etchy and thin I don't think it is for me...

The Lambda Pro is not that. Dynamic and musical, slightly V-shaped signature.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #22,641 of 24,807
It's the lambda signature

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #22,642 of 24,807
Wow, this is a long thread! While I have subscribed to some other Stax threads, I will start following this as it seems to be the most active. Hoping for a Stax set up a year or two down the road. For now just trying to stay current on the info related to electorstats, Stax and best amps. My dream set up is the BHSE and 009, but I would have to rob a bank or at least sell my car to afford that. I am not willing to sacrifice my daughter's collage fund and dont want to buy used. This will def be a marathon. I hope I don't get distracted and buy other crap in the mean time -- delaying my Stax purchase. BTW, I noticed that I may have a cable fetish. Many are expensive and give you very least bang for the buck, but they are in a price rage that i can drop at once -- unlike the STAXes.  Anyway, i digress. This was a long was of saying, subscribed!
popcorn.gif
I will not try to get through all of the 1510 pages. But from now on, I will follow on your all's impressions.

PS. Sorry for the rambling post. it was very cathartic for me.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #22,643 of 24,807
Quote:
you may find a hearing doctor and measure your ears

I have measured my ears before prior to having my impressions done twice for the two CIEM's I've owned in the past, namely the UE18 and ES5's and I can tell you for my young age (as expected) my hearing is almost perfect for the tests conducted per percentile or in other words I have very good hearing.

Ok guys so let's get this straight, pkshan here claim's he can hear differences between two of the same model Lambda's with two of the same headphones having different dust protectors on the back. He claim's that the PVC or Nylon dust filter is better sounding then the former or latter. He state's it as if it is fact in response to other's who question about the sound of the Lambda Signature's. Further more this is only his personal findings possibly under heavy placebo or bias or other mix bags thrown into the equation.

He is unseemingly trying to convince other's buying the headphone to buy the Nylon/PVC dust filter one due to it's superiority in sound differences, again his personal findings but he state's it as if it is fact. It seem's that for such differences to exhibit from dust filters, pkshan's ears are a better measuring tool than the professional tools used to measure earspeakers for consistency and linearity in sound by the expert engineers at Stax.

Not to mention, Birgir (i.e Spritzer) who probably has heard/owned more Stax gear than everyone put together in this thread even confirmed to pkshan's past findings that there is no difference between early / later serial based earspeakers from the same model of the Lambda frame family (unless that is, the tranducers itself have been replaced with a different model).

To summarise and taking what I said before, pkshan has golden ears. 
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #22,644 of 24,807
Keep in mind it's the same guy who described vast differences between the T1 amp with the last 4" of transformer wire modified.  Wind a transformer or two to get an idea of whether or not this tiny change (in comparison to total wire length) will result in his perceived massive sound differences.  He's more in the camp of a romythecat/patrick82 audiophile, and there's nothing wrong with that, but we need to be honest with our comparisons.  Anything less is a slap in the face to the other spectrum of audiophiles, which for whatever reason seems to get a negative stigma.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #22,645 of 24,807
Quote:
He's more in the camp of a romythecat/patrick82 audiophile, and there's nothing wrong with that, but we need to be honest with our comparisons.  Anything less is a slap in the face to the other spectrum of audiophiles, which for whatever reason seems to get a negative stigma.

Absolutely!

Nothing wrong with perceived differences he has as his own personal findings each to his own, but when users go out there way stating little to no differences there to be a big difference as if it is fact, this will only generate noise and this will only confuse other's reading or contributing especially newer members want to get into the Stax game. I mean it's not like we are comparing two different headphones, we are comparing two versions of the same headphone with a minimal difference that is there in the first place to protect the drivers from dust not improve/lower sound quality. But all the power to him and his golden ear's. I certainly wish I had one. 
rolleyes.gif

P.S: At least patrick82 was funny, one could not simply tell whether he was trolling the cable fanatics out there or being serious. It's like that scene with the Joker in the Batman movie. 
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #22,646 of 24,807
He might very well perceive a difference. Not necessarily something that has to do with the dustcovers, though.

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #22,647 of 24,807
Quote:
Keep in mind it's the same guy who described vast differences between the T1 amp with the last 4" of transformer wire modified.  

Oooooh, oooooh, don't forget that he thinks that the sound of solder joints changing over time!

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #22,649 of 24,807
Quote:

Oooooh, oooooh, don't forget that he thinks that the sound of solder joints changing over time!

Hey you're forgetting the fact he brought up burn-in brings large improvements to stats over a few thousand hours.

also

Might've been him or somebody else, but somebody mentioned rolling the pro-bias connectors for Justin's one improves sound. 
rolleyes.gif

Honestly:

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #22,650 of 24,807
Might've been him or somebody else, but somebody mentioned rolling the pro-bias connectors for Justin's one improves sound. 
rolleyes.gif

Nope, not him. The guy who claimed changing Stax jacks makes difference in sound also thought that Rudistor made the best headamp ever.

Seriously watching lolcats is more fun than reading those kinds of post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back