The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #21,752 of 24,807
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

$10 bucks say my LP is more dynamic and capable of hitting lower notes for electronic music then your O2. 
size]

They slam like a wet noodle though, and they can't quite handle being played at ~100db without sounding too bright.

An O2 (not a 'broken' one like the sz3's =P) comes alive and begs for more when you start to push it to ~100db, especially with a KGSSHV or above.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #21,753 of 24,807
Who listens to there music at 100db's? But yeah it was sarcasim intended I have heard the original MK1's which I admit is what got me hooked onto the Stax sound, don't remember it being one with rendering lots of bass but I found to be quite balanced with a lean on the warmish side of sound. My LP's are no slouch which I enjoy with electronic music. If I wanted to listen to some heavy bass oriented music, my modded FA-011's take the cake for that which gives my rev.1's arse a run for it's money.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #21,755 of 24,807
The SR-5s are great with electronica, the bass on these has more heft than any dynamic I've tried(save the Ultrasone Pro2900). Honestly I don't like dynamics at all for Electronica and Metal. They simply can't keep up, they sound strained with the fastest music.

Milosv, The Blue Hawaii looks like a great amp but it's out of my reach by far. My issues with the T1 are only with how it presents the music(it's sound sig.) The quality of sound it puts out is beyond what I expected. The weakest link in the chain right now is the music I listen to. A lot of it was mastered quite badly.

As for the Lambdas, we've been talking a lot about the treble but how is the bass? The one thing I love about the goldies is that the bass is really tight and dry. This lets me focus in on the bass lines in my music(which is helpful as I'm trying to learn how to play). I've heard some of the lambs are tad boomy, is the new series better or worse in this regard?

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #21,756 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
To note: these are great with electronic music right?

Whoa?! Are you serious? Yes, they might be better then HD800. But stat's for electronic? I keeping modded Fostex T50 and random dynamic can's for that stuff. If you gonna listen only electronic(especially bass heavy) I don't see any reason to buy Stax.

Its not bass heavy electronic. Its psychedelic electronic/rock. Stuff like Animal Collective. So should I not get a Lambda? What should I get!

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #21,760 of 24,807
Inspired, I threw on some Animal Collective (And yes, I even listened to My Girls) with some LNS through the SRM-717.  Brilliant.  Loving the detail, extension, speed, and sound stage.

I sometimes wonder why the stereotype is to use cans with a bass emphasis with music that's typically recorded with a bass emphasis. Hell, why not crank up the EQ too!?  

There is so much more going on in good electronic music, I don't want to miss it by having the bass covering it all up.

I do sometimes feel like certain electronic music falls short on headphones because it can't give me that physical impact that speakers can.  This is especially true for artist I've seen live, where the venue system packs a punch.  Perhaps it's this feel that some are seeking when they keep putting enhancements in the chain.

And just to prove I'm not Mr. Anti-Bass-Head I'm going to go and grab my D7000's and listen to some more Animal Collective if I can get these STAX off my head...

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #21,761 of 24,807
Anyone know which way the "arm" of the spring ring for the 007's pads are supposed to be facing? I may be imagining things here but positioning of this seems to affect the sound signature to a small degree... As well as the firmness of the pads and such.

I have the metal arm of the ring pointing towards roughly 8 o'clock position for the left side pads (or 4 o'clock for the right side pads). Which way is this supposed to be facing stock, and more importantly, would this matter at all you'd think sound and comfort wise?

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #21,762 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks.Do they have the potential to sound any good with a few mods maybe stator transplant into a Lambda or wooden cup housing?

They are not compatible with normal Stax bias supplies so using these will always be difficult. 

Quote:
Anyone know which way the "arm" of the spring ring for the 007's pads are supposed to be facing? I may be imagining things here but positioning of this seems to affect the sound signature to a small degree... As well as the firmness of the pads and such.

I have the metal arm of the ring pointing towards roughly 8 o'clock position for the left side pads (or 4 o'clock for the right side pads). Which way is this supposed to be facing stock, and more importantly, would this matter at all you'd think sound and comfort wise?

It's supposed to face towards the seam so forward and a bit upwards.  The position matters as the spring has to support the back of the earpads properly. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #21,763 of 24,807
I'm not saying that stat's can't deliver bass for electronics. They can! But getting 407's for electronic only might not be great idea. I love electronic as well as metal, especially psychodelic one. But I should admit, that 407's handle death-metal better than bass-heavy electronic music.
Quote:
Its psychedelic electronic/rock.

If it's some kind of rock, 407's will be fine. I though you mean some D'n'B/dubstep when mentioned electronic, sorry 
size]

But I still prefer my GMP 8.300D to 407's for psybient(any Ultimae Records album).

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #21,764 of 24,807
So I've had it facing the opposite direction all along it seems 
redface.gif
  Will give that position a try. Thanks as always Spritzer.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #21,765 of 24,807
Quote:

You are not imaging things at all, the SR007s are very finicky to fit properly especially if you have a smaller head.
The 009 and Omega are a lot better and also better at disappearing on your head (although if you move it you feel the weight of the 009) you are always aware about the 007s being on your head.
So really not a fan of this, others might have different head shapes and different opinions.

So, getting a perfect seal is the most important thing that is affected by the pads.
But even then it does matter where you position it, the height must be perfect as well and if you have a headpad that is even a bit stretched out it will not stay where it should be and just slip down a little. At least I've found it to be best at that position even though the instruments are positioned a bit higher there is less veil on the sound.
I don't know if there is a good cheap fix for that other than ordering a new headpad and I don't know how long that can last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back