The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #21,736 of 24,807
How much did it sell for when it was in production?

I'm not sure, I'm still new to this whole STAX thing. I'm sure there are other guys here that would know.

Yeah, if you are interested in the differences between the various T1W/T1's etc spritzer might chime in with that as there might've been some changes to the circuit or so. Hey mohawk how are you currently powering your black/gold SR-5's? SRD-6/7 adaptor?

Before I got the T1 in I was using the SRD-6SB running through a vintage receiver.(Was using a Sherwood S7210A, now I've got an S6000). I had some issues with the old combo though. First of all the receivers are all stock, with 50+ yr old caps. Not a good thing. Secondly I think my SR-5 is having trouble holding it's charge. If I haven't been using it for awhile one of the channels goes soft and I have to play something loud for a few seconds to get it back to normal. That's one of the reasons I decided to move up to a dedicated amp, they're constantly applying charge unlike the SBs that only do while music is playing. With the T1 the above problems are as good as gone.

The T1 is both my first STAX amp and tube amp. I was originally going to go SS but if I had I'd always have wondered if I made the right choice. I guess I'm just a SS guy, I'm finding myself missing the SS bite and 'coldness' that many hate. I find that kind of sound piercing with dynamics but with stats it fits my tastes perfectly. I listen to a lot of ambient music like Vinterriket where the added warmth just makes things sound off.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #21,737 of 24,807
See this is what I don't get, people say there is a treble etch with some of the older stuff but the newer stuff is just plain more brighter, so I'd probably say it varies with the listener but who knows. Interested in that T1 you've got F/S, 240v doable? 

Maybe because these are two very differents issues. The upper mids/treble etch would seem to relate to resonances in the diaphragm that weren't so well damped down in some of the past models (in my limited experience the 404 for example, 007mk2 sz3 to some lesser extent).

The issue you have with the 507 would seem more about the general voicing, not a particular technical flaw one can identify. I haven't heard the 507 but I thought I read multiple accounts that this "treble etch" is no longer there or much reduced. But indeed the overall tonality of the phone is apparently brighter than previous generation lambdas. Similarly, you might dislike the 009 vs. the 007mk2 because of its brighter tonality, but the mid higher are actually better more even handed with the 009 (even though brigther overall).

In general, the stax house sound seems to be evolving toward brighter tonality than before if you think a out the 009 vs 007 (and apparently original sr-omega but I have no first hand experience there).

Treble ech / metallic sound is an actual flaw that was quite present in the previous generation (and somehow not in the older models).

Arnaud

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #21,738 of 24,807
Quote:
Maybe because these are two very differents issues. The upper mids/treble etch would seem to relate to resonances in the diaphragm that weren't so well damped down in some of the past models (in my limited experience the 404 for example, 007mk2 sz3 to some lesser extent).
Could the resonance issues be with the diaphragm not having any backing foam inside the housing or is it just a technical flaw with the way the stator is positioned in regards to distance to the back insides of the housing itself? Wouldn't too much dampening cloud up the sound a little more, reducing imaging capability and soundstaging as well as giving the impression to the user that the treble, mids, lows and highs are all further distanced to the ears?
The issue you have with the 507 would seem more about the general voicing, not a particular technical flaw one can identify. I haven't heard the 507 but I thought I read multiple accounts that this "treble etch" is no longer there or much reduced. But indeed the overall tonality of the phone is apparently brighter than previous generation lambdas. Similarly, you might dislike the 009 vs. the 007mk2 because of its brighter tonality, but the mid higher are actually better more even handed with the 009 (even though brigther overall).
I would agree the overall tonality of the 507 is brighter, to the point where I would just put the headphones down and give my ears a rest. While I haven't heard the 009 as of yet I do feel that I wouldn't exactly dislike it due to it's lean towards the brighter side but I have read those that own both the HD800's and 009 voice that both share a similar bright representation where the HD800's brightness is down to its 5-6k treble peaks (as of in models < S/N 20000) and the 009 just has an overall brighter signature to give the sense of clarity to the user. I have listened to the 007 Mk1's and I found them to be on the slightly warmer side though still very well rendered and clear with lots of detail to offer.
In general, the stax house sound seems to be evolving toward brighter tonality than before if you think a out the 009 vs 007 (and apparently original sr-omega but I have no first hand experience there).
I would agree with that except the Mk1's and some of the portable stat's are the only ones I have heard to be not as bright as the other models. I have the SR-Omega's and yes they also sound similar to the HD800's I have with the brighter tonality/signature and the same airy sound representation but just more revealing with detail.
Treble ech / metallic sound is an actual flaw that was quite present in the previous generation (and somehow not in the older models).

Arnaud
Which previous generation are you referring this to? The original old line of Lambda, Lambda Pro, Lambda Nova Signature, Sigma's? Or the line when Stax started using numerics for there model's 202,303, 404/LTD etc?

Above...

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #21,741 of 24,807
Quote:

There are plenty of proxy buying services, just pick one and go for it.

I tried jauce which requires me to deposit the amount I will be bidding in yens + expensive fees from my paypal to jauce account which I don't want to do. Rinkya which was kindly recommended to me by Radio_Head due to it commonly used won't accept my Master Card details saying it is denied and paypal can't be used to verify who I am as I'm not an American buyer. Ghey.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #21,742 of 24,807
Above...Could the resonance issues be with the diaphragm not having any backing foam inside the housing or is it just a technical flaw with the way the stator is positioned in regards to distance to the back insides of the housing itself? Wouldn't too much dampening cloud up the sound a little more, reducing imaging capability and soundstaging as well as giving the impression to the user that the treble, mids, lows and highs are all further distanced to the ears?
re: damping.

A few years ago the backing foam in my Lambda LNS wore out and I got a replacement from Yamas. It made the LNS sound terrible. The foam was definitely much thicker than what had been in them before, although admittedly the old foam was disintegrating. I ended up removing the new foam and decided I preferred the sound that way. I also removed the foam backing, (again not the front foam which faces the ear) from the 404 and again decided I preferred the sound that way. Mostly the phones sound more open, with a wider soundstage. Certainly they don't sound more etched. I don't see any back foam on my 007's. Do the 009's and newer Lambdas use foam backing?

I recognize the etch issue with the Lambdas, but I think it applies to most stats. I am less certain now the the problem is in the transducers. Recently after I changed my DAC connectors from electrical to optical (a TOL Wireworld ) it seemed that most of the etch disappeared. So I wonder if much of the etch is a form of digital distortion that the stats are very good at showing.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #21,743 of 24,807
Now I've had three unfortunate experiences with the SR-5 Gold, and I'm not sure why I keep going. Propably beacause they sound so good to my ears. One case of drivers lacking bass and sounding pinched, two of channel imbalance.

Is there anyone out there who had  a similar experience and have one functional driver to sell?

PM me, and spread some Stax joy.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #21,744 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:DefQuon

There are plenty of proxy buying services, just pick one and go for it.

I tried jauce which requires me to deposit the amount I will be bidding in yens + expensive fees from my paypal to jauce account which I don't want to do. Rinkya which was kindly recommended to me by Radio_Head due to it commonly used won't accept my Master Card details saying it is denied and paypal can't be used to verify who I am as I'm not an American buyer. Ghey.

How about kuboten?

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #21,745 of 24,807
My findings with my LP when I remove the foam and the backing cloth was that maybe there was a hint of slightly more clarity but after adjusting my gear and swapping around I could not detect any difference with the backing on or off. It might've been specific to the LP only.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #21,746 of 24,807
Quote:
The T1 is both my first STAX amp and tube amp. I was originally going to go SS but if I had I'd always have wondered if I made the right choice. I guess I'm just a SS guy, I'm finding myself missing the SS bite and 'coldness' that many hate. I find that kind of sound piercing with dynamics but with stats it fits my tastes perfectly. I listen to a lot of ambient music like Vinterriket where the added warmth just makes things sound off.

I had the SRM-1 / Mk II  and the SRM-T1; I have SR-007 MK I's, Lambda Signatures, and Koss ESP-950's with a Stax plug.

I sold the SMR-1 / Mk II  and kept the SRM-T1.  They are very close in sound, but I think the SRM-T1 is just a little more refined in the mids and treble.  They both have about the same bass quality.

The SRM-T1  is a well regarded amplifier.  For the price, I don't think you can do better.

The other, newer,  top-of-the-line Stax amps are only marginally better- the sound is very similar to the SRM-T1.  If you want to upgrade I think the Blue Hawaii would be the way to go, it represents a noticeable step up, but it costs big bucks. If you can't afford one, it's probably a good bet to stick with the SRM-T1.

Remember that in high-end audio the last 10% increase in sound quality costs 85% of the money spent.

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #21,749 of 24,807
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find stats fine for electronic. Not better than my HD800's for fast complex electronic music, trance or so.

Well-amped O2's are killer for electronic music.

Lambda's?, not so much. 
size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back