The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #16,966 of 24,807

Quote:
After a few days of listening...I don't know if it's just me, but the SR-202 + SRM-212 sounds a bit...weird coming from the modified SR-Lambda + SRD-7/SB + receiver. It's like the sound is more..."sterile" or something, perhaps more "flat", but not so much in the frequency response sense. I can't quite find the word for it.

Is this a trait of the SR-202 itself, or does the sound signature change significantly with a better amp?

If by more sterile you mean less mid-centric then yes I agree. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #16,967 of 24,807
So it might be in the mids, hmmm....

*raises mids a few decibels via EQ* Maybe you're right. Even if the diaphragm's thicker, it probably wouldn't change the SR-Lambda's famous mids, something the Lambda Pro apparently took away from (recessed mids). Of course, this could all be placebo for all I know...

Now I'm actually tempted to get a proper Stax amp with a Normal bias output and get a SR-Lambda with as pristine drivers as possible. (And here I thought I'd pursue the route of more modern Stax, like a Nova Signature...)

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #16,968 of 24,807
Anyone in the US successfully buy their 009s from Pricejapan?

I might want to pick up a pair in a few months.  Admittedly, I wasn't too overwhelmed with the 009s the time I heard them, but I'm probably giving my O2s to a family member, so I need something else to listen to and don't want two pairs of O2s.  Kind of a hard decision, though, since the jury seems out whether the O2 or 009 pairs better with the BHSE.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #16,969 of 24,807

Quote:
Anyone in the US successfully buy their 009s from Pricejapan?

I might want to pick up a pair in a few months.  Admittedly, I wasn't too overwhelmed with the 009s the time I heard them, but I'm probably giving my O2s to a family member, so I need something else to listen to and don't want two pairs of O2s.  Kind of a hard decision, though, since the jury seems out whether the O2 or 009 pairs better with the BHSE.

I purchased mine from PriceJapan. Took about a week for them to be shipped. Went out on Friday, and they've just arrived in my state this morning.

FYI: it takes about a week for any Stax orders to be stocked according to Kaneda. On the 23rd, the website will be taking a short vacation until after the new year.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #16,970 of 24,807
Awesome, thanks!  It sounds like about a two week wait for CONUS during normal business operations, then.

Btw, did you pay the exact USD price on the Pricejapan front page, or were there any additional fees tacked on, such as Paypal or customs?

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #16,971 of 24,807

Quote:
Awesome, thanks!  It sounds like about a two week wait for CONUS during normal business operations, then.

Btw, did you pay the exact USD price on the Pricejapan front page, or were there any additional fees tacked on, such as Paypal or customs?

Yeah. Shipping is lightning quick, but it takes a little longer for the product to actually be stocked. No customs fees, but DHL (now Fed-Ex) and Paypal fees added a few hundred more to the price.

I paid $4,600 for the SR-009, fastest shipping, and Paypal when it was all said and done.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #16,972 of 24,807
I really wanna try if the 404Sig with 404LE earpads sounds the same or not. From my memory it does sound very similar but can't say for sure unless it is tested side by side.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #16,973 of 24,807
*listens a bit more to the SR-202 + SRM-212*

I don't know if this is just a more revealing nature or what, but everything sounds a bit "rougher" than the vintage Lambda did, like there's a bit of an aural texture there. Is this just placebo, or have the rest of you noticed anything like that?

I initially thought I'd be so glad to have the big receiver off my desk...and in some ways, I am. But I'm seriously contemplating holding on to the SRD-7/SB at a minimum if I can sell off everything else to afford a SR-Lambda Normal bias in better condition...

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #16,974 of 24,807

Quote:
I really wanna try if the 404Sig with 404LE earpads sounds the same or not. From my memory it does sound very similar but can't say for sure unless it is tested side by side.

Please try and let us know - I'm really curious because one of my Sigmas gets an upgrade and I think I want new earpads too.

Regards Georg

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #16,980 of 24,807
The SR-009 has been on my head for most of the day. It's a very, very impressive creation. It really gets out of the way and lets the music come through almost exactly as recorded, without imbuing much in the way of its own qualities to it. Detail level and imaging are staggering, on par with any of the hyper-detail champs like the Qualia, while retaining a balanced sound that makes it imminently more listenable with a wider variety of music. Factor in the solid build quality, gorgeous aesthetic, wear-comfort... and you get my vote for all-around "best headphone in the world" right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back