The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #16,606 of 24,807

Quote:
My 009s came in today.  I have an unnatural urge to turn the volume up a lot.  They're way underamped though.  Hope Justin's BHSE run ships out soon.

Hi,
If you bring the 009s to the meet on the 12th, I'll have m my SRM-T1S and hopefully someone will bring a BHSE.
I have 404LEs which I will be using on my (TBD) BHSE which is in Justin's batch of 45.  Where I go after the
404LE is absolutely unknown, but experience tells me that my wallet will develop a new hole, as it seems to
do after every meet.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #16,608 of 24,807
I concur with n3rdling.

I've owned the O2/717 combo for 5 and a half years, it makes superb music.

The BHSE is better, but also different. And of course, big money.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #16,609 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi,
If you bring the 009s to the meet on the 12th, I'll have m my SRM-T1 and hopefully someone will bring a BHSE.
I have 404LEs which I will be using on my (TBD) BHSE which is in Justin's batch of 45.  Where I go after the
404LE is absolutely unknown, but experience tells me that my wallet will develop a new hole, as it seems to
do after every meet.

You bet I'll be bringing them with me.  I'm hoping that Dr. Cavalli and/or Brian Kurtz can make it.  The Cavalli Liquid Lightning with the 009 is a pretty awesome combo and one of my favorite parts of CanJam.  Justin's BHSE/009 rig was solid too, so hopefully somebody will bring one.  Should be a few DIY stat amps as well.  If Jack Wu brings his WES, we'll have no shortage of amplification (and if he does, he'll likely have his own 009 there too).

I'm waiting on my BHSE as well.  I'm one of the last ones (maybe #41 or 42), so we'll see how that goes.  And yeah, it's very likely your wallet is going to be a sad panda for the foreseeable future.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #16,610 of 24,807
Nice to see people still think pretty highly of the 717. I just bought one last Friday and will get it in a week of so. I have been using my O2's with an old SRM1/MK2 and it is all right to me but hoping for stiffer bass. The 717 is the right size for me because I take it on the road when I work out of town. I paid just over $1k but they don't seem to come up too often. Size wise it looks like it will fit nicely on top of my W4S Dac2.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #16,612 of 24,807
Been listening for a while now today. Today is the first time i have spent a lenghty amount of time with these headphones in the comfort of my home in my system. Color me impressed.

THe O2s have quite possibly found a permanent home in my system and is now my main headphones.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #16,614 of 24,807
Quote:
Been listening for a while now today. Today is the first time i have spent a lenghty amount of time with these headphones in the comfort of my home in my system. Color me impressed.

THe O2s have quite possibly found a permanent home in my system and is now my main headphones.

I was thinking the LCD2+LF was going to be your choice for the rest of 2011
beerchug.gif

It's interesting how the O2s grow on people.  I admit the first time I heard them they seemed nice but not super amazing.  Now, after putting a few months of solid listening time into them, particularly on recordings I know very well, it's kind of uncanny how I can immediately identify deficiencies in most other headphones within seconds.  I don't see myself upgrading out of the SR007A (and possibly SR009) before moving to speakers unless there's something amazing I've missed along the way.

Kind of hard justifying the SR009 price, though, given how a pair of Emerald Physics CS2.3 is very close.  Will see what happens once I get my BHSE, I guess.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #16,615 of 24,807
Well, it doesn't have any treble sparkle to impress on first listen unlike the HD800 for example but I do agree that it's something that you appreciate over time. 

That being said, I think that the 007 is still too mellow for my personal taste and to be honest with, I still prefer the Lambda's tonal balance compared to the Omega sans its upper mid glare of course. It's just a bloody shame that the über-expensive 009 is the only way to go given my preferences. 
frown.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #16,617 of 24,807

Quote:
I was thinking the LCD2+LF was going to be your choice for the rest of 2011
beerchug.gif

It's interesting how the O2s grow on people.  I admit the first time I heard them they seemed nice but not super amazing.  Now, after putting a few months of solid listening time into them, particularly on recordings I know very well, it's kind of uncanny how I can immediately identify deficiencies in most other headphones within seconds.  I don't see myself upgrading out of the SR007A (and possibly SR009) before moving to speakers unless there's something amazing I've missed along the way.

Kind of hard justifying the SR009 price, though, given how a pair of Emerald Physics CS2.3 is very close.  Will see what happens once I get my BHSE, I guess.

You're going to have a hard time strapping those Emerald Physics CS2.3 to your head, but I wanna see it after you rig it up... 
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #16,619 of 24,807
I'm not sure why, but today I had the chance to listen to an SRM-323S for 1++ hours. I found no fatigue using it at loud volumes. A few posts back, I did ask regarding volumes and ear fatigue with the SRM1-Mk2. With the SRM1, it would be at most 15 minutes at medium volume before I felt ear fatigue set in and it would take at least a day to recover. Listening to anything during this recovery period would make me feel horrible. It seems the problem may be related to the old SRM1 rather than my listening volume (I definitely do not listen very loudly). I wonder what exactly is the issue with the amp? There were no differences I could discern based on A/Bing the amps, except maybe the high treble (10k and up) being slightly sharper on the SRM1. Anybody knows why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back