Feb 19, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #14,986 of 24,807
Quote:
Am I going to inaugurate the 1000th page of this thread? I take my chance 
smily_headphones1.gif

1000 pages, yeh! :D

Quote:
arnaud said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto all that's been said about comfort of Stax Omega 2, I like them better than most dynamic headphones I've owned. I have small ears so I guess it explains. Try some Edition 9, even my ear felt cramped in there! Or the K701, what a terrible headband design, it was soo painful after half an hour.

I hated the comfort of the 701s, not sure who designed those things with the bumps on the top.

I find all stax comfortable, including the SR-003! The lambda design is so simple, lightweight and comfy (if you dont have big ears :p).

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #14,988 of 24,807
A quick question... I´d appreciate it a lot if someone answers fast, as I have an opportunity to get a used STAX amp and I have to decide tomorrow.

Can 230V euro XLR polarity STAX amps use STAX earspeakers imported from Japan? I know the Japanese STAX amps use a different XLR polarity that makes DAC pairing hard in same cases, but is the actual headphone cable pin order exactly the same? (in other words, compatible with any STAX amp with PRO BIAS)

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #14,991 of 24,807
I have been lurking here on head-fi off and on for several years and read I don't know how many threads lately for the past few weeks... I have finally been looking into getting some entry level stax but I think my initial budget (which was originally for some mid level senns) is probably too low (<$200).  What is a reasonable expectation to have for an entry level set of stax (or other electrostatic perhaps) headphones and either an energizer or amp?  

It looks like amps tend to cost quite a bit more and I do have a receiver I could use for now with an energizer.  The main thing is, I intend to use this at work (closed office door so sound leakage isn't a problem) and I plan on having them on most of the day so they need to be comfortable (amusing that this issue has been discussed recently).  For me, that usually means circumaural.  From my understanding, the lambdas are, as well as the gammas/alphas.  Are there any other stax that would qualify (in the lower budget range that is :), I doubt it's worth discussing the higher end in this case! )  I've been unable to tell for sure if the SR-3s are or not.

I'm OK with them not looking perfect as long as they sound OK, but I'm not sure how much that would tend to drop the price if at all.

I've read conflicting comments on whether gammas (which appear to possibly be reachable in my range, at least I had found some historically) are worth it sound wise compared with lambdas.  This would be my first higher-end setup so in truth I'd probably be happy with even the lower end stax... :) 

Thanks for any help!

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #14,992 of 24,807
The SR-3 is circumaural and comfortable.  As for are the Gammas worth it, I like them better than the SR-3, SR-5, and SR-X MkIII.  The Lambdas are a step up, but also out of your price range unless you get very lucky.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #14,993 of 24,807
I'm so glad to have the chance to leave my footprint on the 1000th page!

I recently bought a SRM-323S. I like a little tube sound in my setup, so I ordered a Scott Nixon Tube Dac. So far I plan to use ordinary toslink and cable to link the system with my Mac laptop. I think I'll buy a SR-404 or 407 in the near future, to complete my system.

Can anyone comment on this system, please? I mainly listen to Classical music.

So excited to become a member in the ES headphone family!

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #14,994 of 24,807
@ Pabro -  I cant speak firsthand about your proposed system, but I know you are gonna love it!
There has been much written about the SRM323 and the 404's, do a search.

@ kgreene - If you are willing to spend ~$400 and have a little patience and are quick with the trigger finger,
one could find a used Stax SRS-2050 system (what I have) best bang for the buck. Sounds awesome!
Recently, one just sold here at HF for $350. Other places to look are Audiogon and ebay.
Another alternative in that price range would be a used Koss ESP950 setup.

This is just my opinion, I would stay away from the really old stuff, such as electret models.
They just dont hold up over time. When they break, there are no repair parts out there
other than another old unit to serve as a parts donor. I'm also not a fan of the transformer "energizer"  boxes.
They are well built but dont have the sonic capabilities that the more modern (and higher priced) amplifier boxes do.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #14,999 of 24,807
@ livewire: Thanks for the advice!

Has anyone bought stuffs from EIFL recently? I learned from the STAX threads here that they offer very good deals on STAX earspeakers and amp. I googled the website and sent a few inquiry for a quote, yet didn't hear back from them. In addition, I kept reading people mentioned dealing with a guy named Koji, yet I can't find his contact info. Are they still in business? Any info will be appreciated.
beyersmile.png

http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/export/stax/stax.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back