The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #14,776 of 24,807
Try to open the bottom of the case and see if you can see the trace from there or
look for a resistor that has a value in MOhms (it will be quite laborious to find it but i assume that it's the only one with a high value like that on the board and will be placed on the main board not the little ones). 

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #14,777 of 24,807
i've been lurking here (various headphone forums) for a few weeks and was intending to be patient and go to some local meets, listen and learn a bit, and then dip my toe in slowly. i'd been leaning toward Stax gear as my direction, as i felt it might take me places my regular stereo system might not.

well, best laid plans and all; this morning i saw Kelvinz's ad for an O2 mK1 and usa spec SRM717. turns out he's local, happens to work next to where i work. it must have been fate, so who was i to argue. the O2 and 717 are now sitting in the back of my car.

i've not listened to any Stax gear yet.....that will be later tonight. i'm curious how what i'll hear might compare to the O2 Mk1 with the BHSE or WES i keep reading about?

i must say from my reading that i've enjoyed the headphone community vibe.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #14,779 of 24,807
Quote:
 well, best laid plans and all; this morning i saw Kelvinz's ad for an O2 mK1 and usa spec SRM717. turns out he's local, happens to work next to where i work. it must have been fate, so who was i to argue. the O2 and 717 are now sitting in the back of my car.
i've not listened to any Stax gear yet.....that will be later tonight. i'm curious how what i'll hear might compare to the O2 Mk1 with the BHSE or WES i keep reading about?

Congrats! I saw that ad this morning and noticed it disappeared quite quickly.

If you ever decide to get rid of the 717 for an upgrade, I'm interested in taking it off your hands
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #14,780 of 24,807

Quote:
Welcome, not bad at all for a start :) What are your sources?

thanks. my intention had not been to start quite that rich....but it landed in my lap.

you can click the link in my sig for my Audiogon system page.

my sources are 3 tt's, a Rockport, a Kodo 'The Beat' and a custom plinth'd Garrard 301. the Rockport has it's own linear tracker arm and the there are 2 Talea and 2 Reed arms on the other 2 tt's.

i have 2 RTR decks; the Studer A-820 and Ampex ATR-102. i also have a King-Cello phono/tape repro used for the output electronics on the Studer.

i use the Playback Designs MPS-5 for my digital as well as a server dac for my music server which uses the Lynx AES16 xlr hirez sound card.

my conventional preamp is a darTZeel NHB-18NS which has 2 phono stages and i also have the Allnic H3000 phono stage.

the AC power for my system is provided thru an Equi=tech 10WQ wall panel system which includes a 10kw isolation transformer.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #14,781 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats! I saw that ad this morning and noticed it disappeared quite quickly.

If you ever decide to get rid of the 717 for an upgrade, I'm interested in taking it off your hands
biggrin.gif

thanks.

i'll be considering the degree of improvement the BHSE or WES might provide (relative to the $$$'s) over the 717 and that might happen at some point.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #14,782 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
Welcome, not bad at all for a start :) What are your sources?

thanks. my intention had not been to start quite that rich....but it landed in my lap.

you can click the link in my sig for my Audiogon system page.

my sources are 3 tt's, a Rockport, a Kodo 'The Beat' and a custom plinth'd Garrard 301. the Rockport has it's own linear tracker arm and the there are 2 Talea and 2 Reed arms on the other 2 tt's.

i have 2 RTR decks; the Studer A-820 and Ampex ATR-102. i also have a King-Cello phono/tape repro used for the output electronics on the Studer.

i use the Playback Designs MPS-5 for my digital as well as a server dac for my music server which uses the Lynx AES16 xlr hirez sound card.

my conventional preamp is a darTZeel NHB-18NS which has 2 phono stages and i also have the Allnic H3000 phono stage.

the AC power for my system is provided thru an Equi=tech 10WQ wall panel system which includes a 10kw isolation transformer.

Wow, nice setup!  (I think you're Stax hobby will be rounding error so you probably started in the right place - now just need to get on that BHSE list, or have a KGSSHV built for you) :)

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #14,783 of 24,807

Quote:

Interesting... So it seems STAX has taken a departure from the classic bright-leaning Lambda sound (as the 507 drivers are now in the 300/400 series as well). Both are probably good options though. When I auditioned the 404 it was via the standard 006 series tube amp included in the signature system. Apparently that system should be brighter than the current 507+SRM-600LTD.

Is this true? that all the newer 507/407/307 STAX earspeaker use the same driver?

(Since I cannot afford 507, I'm looking for better "value", of course... :) )

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #14,785 of 24,807

Quote:
i'll be considering the degree of improvement the BHSE or WES might provide (relative to the $$$'s) over the 717 and that might happen at some point.

The 717 is definitely the right amp to get in the door with the O2. The KGSS is a better amp than the 717, but that's about to be replaced by the much better HV, which should be a big improvement and will likely be the pinnacle of SS amplification available for electrostatic phones for some time. Currently it's DIY only, but supposedly a commercial version may be available at some point in the future. The BHSE or WES would be better still, but if you want to push the O2 to the max, you need the DIY T2.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #14,786 of 24,807

Quote:

Interesting... So it seems STAX has taken a departure from the classic bright-leaning Lambda sound (as the 507 drivers are now in the 300/400 series as well). Both are probably good options though. When I auditioned the 404 it was via the standard 006 series tube amp included in the signature system. Apparently that system should be brighter than the current 507+SRM-600LTD.

Is this true? that all the newer 507/407/307 STAX earspeaker use the same driver?

(Since I cannot afford 507, I'm looking for better "value", of course... :) )

same driver holder case thingy (resin case) and same looking baffle (?), but most likely different drivers

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #14,787 of 24,807

thanks.

While I clearly prefer my WES over the 717 with the O2, I think the 717 is a good choice for O2 and you might consider keeping what you have and quitting head-fi before your upgraditis eats your wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back