The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #14,536 of 24,807
I had a problem on 1 of my SRM/1 Mrk/2 inside the amp the blue wire to the rca jack was not connected. The amp worked great for me for a long time then the channel went out. Probably not common because it was not cold solder
and all the other soldering looks great. It was just like they never used any solder on that 1 connection.

doubt he'd have a loose wire, but he could always inspect solder joints along the left channel on the amp and/or reflow (heat w a bit more solder to refresh) them. I'm sure the schematic for 717 is floating around. Reflowing all the joints on my SRM-1/mk2 took me maybe 4h, so just the left channel and just the seemingly important bits shouldn't take long at all (just tick the ones you reflowed on the schematic, in case you need to reflow more later)

of course it may be easier to borrow a pair of other electrostatic hp w pro-bias or buy a cheap used set and have a look if the problem is still there on them.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #14,537 of 24,807
Probably not the same problem but I was really happy it was an easy fix. One thing I was wondering about is does Stax coat the boards with something after they put it all together? I was just cleaning off the
underside of circuit board and it was gummy so I quit and left it.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #14,539 of 24,807

Insides look like it was build by Rille himself, excellent guy to talk and deal with.
Quote:
nomnomnom. i want my transistor-amp v3 to be delivered. 

NOW! lol. (last pic before normal bias socket was put in)

Still a week to go. DHL is too slow and too expensive. 

Then compare it to SRM-1/mk2. Not sure if converting it to bal outputs makes any difference in sound, but the bass is as you describe it on my rebuilt unit...Nice and tight. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #14,540 of 24,807
Insides look like it was build by Rille himself, excellent guy to talk and deal with.

yes, as far as I know, Peter built it. and as you say he's a great person to talk to on audio stuff =) . Hehe, didn't know he was famous among German head-fiers :wink: . He also made me a couple of cables.

=( I'm still waiting for DHL tho (same status from 2nd of Nov
Status from 02.11.10 04:14 hours The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
Next step The international shipment is being prepared for forwarding to the destination country

). Heh, I should've forked out for EMS instead.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #14,542 of 24,807
added the stax sr lambda pro and the srm-1 / mk-2 amp to my gear. this combo out of the udac2 pretty much decimates everything i have heard and experienced so far :D

these vintage stax are amazing!

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #14,543 of 24,807
Quick update on the custom tips for the SR-001s.  Seems they are a little more challenging to make than Starkey estimated.  My week to ten day wait is now on day 19 and they haven't shipped yet.  I'm going to call the audiologist for an update, but I suspect they have gone through a few variations at the plant...

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #14,545 of 24,807

Quote:
Can anyone point me towards a pad change how-to or breakdown of o2s?  I found some older posts that talk about a manual with broken links :frowning2:

Also some do's and don't for care and maintenance?

Thanks!

Depends on which kind you have.

But for the mk1, spritzer answered that question here:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/1470#post_2850219

Michgelsen posted a pic of instructions: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13575#post_6733166

The replacements should come with instructions.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #14,548 of 24,807
Woohoo!  My custom tips for the 001s are finally in.  My appointment for final fitting is Monday morning at 10:30am.   I'm hoping they don't need a remold or too much adjustment so I can bring them home at that time.  Starkey did struggle with them, so I'm not sure how much they will cost moving forward or how many times they had to mold this set.  I'll let you guys know...

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #14,549 of 24,807
001 molds, me like!
eek.gif

Pictures please!

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #14,550 of 24,807
O2, SR5 gold and Souped SRA-12s report. Sitting in a rest. Post thanksgiving enjoying good company but can't help reporting some things. The O2s came in from Woo Audio after a dreary 3 or 4 week wait and boy were they worth it. They Blow everything away (and everyone!). Best, most solid, and impacting bass response of ANY headphone I've ever heard. Beats ANY dynamic I've ever heard, and I have Senn 650s and have had they AKG 800 here (which I do not like, it's got a very fake Hf rise) and there's no comparison. The Omega 2s throw a big soundfield and actually have some loudspeaker-like depth. The pleasure is enormous. While waiting I was enjoying my new gold Pros which are pros inside an SR5 headshell. The SR12s bias has been raised to +350 and it drives either set of cans well. I'm still waiting for Justin to finish my KGSS. It's been a month and a half and Ill be polite here

Anyway, after getting the O2s I was able to quantify the bass loss of the SR5s and I was able to get a very nice extension by putting a 2 dB boost below about 60 Hz into a Metric Halo ULN8 and using it's DAC to drive the Stax amp. No problem whatsoever with headroom an this is a marvelous improvement in accuracy for the SR5s which now sound like slightly smaller O2s in terms of image and impact but very close in terms of freq resp. The SR5 pros are about 4 dB more efficient than the O2.

I'm in heaven and can't wait for the KGSS. The 2 uF coupling caps in the SRA though take the bass down to the center of the earth! It almost frightens me what direct coupling and 1000 volt-capable swing are going to do! ( I do not listen too loud but I love headroom!)

Until then

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back