The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #13,037 of 24,807
I don't think anybody would take a "review" Larry writes seriously. He lacks experience to write truly insightful reviews and to be critical enough for the reviews to matter which is why manufacturers take advantage of him to peddle their crap. This is the same reason nobody takes "reviews" from the likes of Stereophile, What Hi-Fi, 6moons etc. seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure if Stax was changing the driver they would advertise that fact. They have never been shy about touting such things and it would allow them to raise the price further. It seems we are down to the pads and the cable to explain the sound differences. I would think both would be significant.

The earpads are all but identical to the new SR-404 earpads and since the cable is the same size as the older Wide PC-OCC the difference should be tiny compared to a SR-303/404 cable comparison.

You are thinking of old Stax when it comes to driver specs, new Stax is reluctant to post any specs of the drivers. You will be hard pressed to find any info as to how SR-001 Mk1 and Mk2 differ. The driver is also identical from the outside, the mylar is just treated differently.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #13,038 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could look at the Pico DAC only, or IBasso D4 or D10, or if you'd like 24/96 USB DAC you could look at the Centrance DACport which works quite well as a preamp into Stax amps, or consider the Nuforce HDP. The D10 and HDP will also do optical and coax. The Headroom Micro DAC is another one to consider, but some people complain about the USB having more jitter than others (e.g. antonyfirst). If you have a Mac with firewire an Apogee Duet would be another consideration. I have reviews on some of this stuff, see my sig line to find links.

I have tried most of these DACs to feed a Woo GES or eXStatA electrostatic amp, and they are very detailed and transparent sounding and a good value for under $500. The DACport and Apogee will be a little warmer sounding than the others, and might complement the SR-303 more since it's a nice match for my HE60, but I can't say for sure. I would pick one of the others when using my SR-007 or an SR-404LE, but they should also be fine for your rig.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately these items you mention are rather expensive to obtain here from Japan unless you know of a cheaper way. I think I might try to stick to either Japan in this case. Have you used the Audio G-D 19 that Currawong mentioned?

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #13,039 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my wire custom made by a reputable company with an enameled insulative material surrounding the conductors, and with good reason.

And that "idiot" happens to be producing cables that have done nothing less than "awe" and "amaze" any customer who has acquired one.

Not exactly sure what you think you're gaining by spouting nonsense and slander, but it's really only detrimental to your own integrity.

Quote:

Did you honestly just state that the likes of HeadphoneAddict to lack capacity for articulation?

And photos from a year ago are hardly relevant.

Did you honestly suggest that every one of your customers who has ever bought your cables was completely satisfied to the extent of being awed and amazed? You can change your company name and you can change your screen name but you cannot change the fact that you are the same guy who sold a bunch of misrepresented and defective cables through this very website. Pictures of your past work and your excuses and arguments with your unsatisfied customers are documented elsewhere on Head-Fi and don't need to be repeated here to back up Spritzer's comments. Find another thread to peddle your wares.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #13,040 of 24,807
Quote:

Did you honestly just state that the likes of HeadphoneAddict to lack capacity for articulation?

No I didn't state that, because you didn't mention anybody by name previously. However as you raise by specific example someone who you believe to be held in high esteem as an example I'll say that my position regarding your selection of a large post-count member is similar to, but identical to, that of Spritzer.

Photos from a year ago are just as relevent as ones from yesterday or next Tuesday. You managed to improve upwards from grossly incompetant (along with a complete rebrand of your venture aiding to dispell the demons of your woeful first go), but that doesn't mean that you didn't start there. If you'd -=remained=- there that would of course have been worse.

Combining the two points, I seem to recall that HeadphoneAddict gave a hugely positive review of one of your products despite the fact that its was fundamentally physically unstable. Reasoning along the lines of "when it worked it sounded excellent". A bit like some of the people who bought a Singlepower ES-1 I guess. Or a Phase Linear power amp. I was asked to review a cake for a baking website once. The lemon icing was only average, but the parts of the sponge which weren't filled with maggots were excellent.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #13,041 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Icelandic, Danish (and thus Swedish and Norwegian), German and English.

Impressive, but I speak Yankee, Southern and a bit of Ebonics too.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was asked to review a cake for a baking website once. The lemon icing was only average, but the parts of the sponge which weren't filled with maggots were excellent.

Best analogy of the year!

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #13,043 of 24,807
Quote:

Dude, I really think you're in the wrong thread.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #13,046 of 24,807
I had one hell of a time replacing the arc assembly and headband on mine. There were times when I simply couldn't be gentle. And the O2s are still strong. That said, 2 things scare me: 1) dropping them and 2) yanking the cable from the earcups.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #13,047 of 24,807
Impact damage is one of the better ways to kill a stat driver. Dropping them is certainly not advisable, and very very not advisable for less solidly put together offerings like the SR-Omega, HE90 and HE-60.

If you want to drop stats and feel okay about it, get a set of SR-003.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #13,048 of 24,807
I want to wear gloves when putting them on though because they sound nothing short of world class...
But between the rotation of the O2's cups of and the Stax farts I can't help but think of it as being as fragile as a Fabergbé egg.

I guess it would be nice to know that they are as fragile as any dynamic can, and not about to break suddenly if I breathe on them the wrong way or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back