The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #5,971 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting some sound if I crank the volume. It cuts in and out.

Try wiggling/exercising the PHONES/SPEAKER switch. The sound shouldn't be cutting in and out and you should be getting close to normal volume by now. A lot of these simple slide switches get dirty at age thirty. Got DeoxIT?

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #5,973 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you apply it from the outside, or do I need to take the cover off and apply it to the inside?

The latter, unfortunately. You have to spray inside the switch body. But turn the power off and try just flipping the switch several times to see if you can run the crud out of it. Chances are, these phones weren't used very much and there's no better way to accumulate switchcrud than just sitting out for thirty years. More like thirty-five in this case.

Record-low winning bid on an electrostat, I think. Can anyone else beat $1.04 on eBay? We of Team Cheap Bastards salute you.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5,974 of 24,807
Quote:

Record-low winning bid on an electrostat, I think. Can anyone else beat $1.04 on eBay?

eek.gif
I thought my previous ESP7 set was a super duper killer deal @ $1.5, but Magnavox for $1.04? wow...... congrats!

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #5,975 of 24,807
They're working. It was a loose connection at the speaker binding posts. They came with spade ends that are narrower than the binding posts on my Super T.

They sound pretty good. The bass starts to roll off at 60Hz and is pretty much gone by 40Hz, but I'm not a bass head so that's OK with me. Not perfect, but OK, especially for listening to classical.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5,977 of 24,807
Hello

This was the thread I was looking for. Currently I am a dynamic headphone user. However, as of late, the thought of possibility of trying electrostatics has recently crossed my mind. What would be a good place to start in the Stax line up? At my present location, I must say it is quite difficult to test one of these systems out in person. However written word on these forums suggest that this style of sound may suit me.
BTW I looked into the "Baby Stax" however I seem to be more interested in the full size variety.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5,978 of 24,807
Back in January, and the last DFW head-fi meet, i had my first foray into electrostatics. after sampling some of the various Stax and the Koss ESP-950, i was hooked, they were very amazing, and i'm still speechless today! i especially enjoyed the SR-007's on luvdunhill's KGSS...

well, finally pulled the trigger, and found a second-hand but excellent condition Stax SRS-2020 Basic System II last night. i figure it's a good starting point for me, and it gets me in the door... but i already know the dance, and will probably be sporting 404's or the ESP-950's, and a better amp(who knows, maybe a KGSS) by the end of the year!

[size=xx-small](i think ironman64 created a monster out of me when he handed me those Koss playing Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion[/size][size=xx-small]) [/size]

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #5,979 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, finally pulled the trigger, and found a second-hand but excellent condition Stax SRS-2020 Basic System II last night. i figure it's a good starting point for me, and it gets me in the door... but i already know the dance, and will probably be sporting 404's or the ESP-950's, and a better amp(who knows, maybe a KGSS) by the end of the year!

I welcome you to Club Stax.
smily_headphones1.gif

Its a nice place to stay, and you will have no rush leaving us...

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #5,980 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerby88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello

This was the thread I was looking for. Currently I am a dynamic headphone user. However, as of late, the thought of possibility of trying electrostatics has recently crossed my mind. What would be a good place to start in the Stax line up? At my present location, I must say it is quite difficult to test one of these systems out in person. However written word on these forums suggest that this style of sound may suit me.
BTW I looked into the "Baby Stax" however I seem to be more interested in the full size variety.

Oh, Kerby, get out now, while you still can! Reading this thread will suck your bank balance dry in months, and you still won't have what you want!

But, of course, you won't listen to me, so, to answer your question: a good starting point for modern (full size) gear is the 2050 system, but (see above) you can get the very similar 2020 system second-hand, for less money (around $500?).

Alternatively, you can get into the older gear, say an SR-5 or SR-X powered by a SRD-6 or 7 transformer, which has to be driven from an amp's speaker outputs (and includes a switch to allow speakers or h'phones). This will be cheaper (from $200) but, of course, riskier, because this stuff is often 20 years old, or even older.

Good luck, and welcome to the Stax fraternity (I haven't seen a woman's hand in any posts here!).

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #5,981 of 24,807
I too am one who is contemplating the dive into 'stats. My only real concern is how they handle Rock/Metal. I have listened extensively to various QUAD Stat speakers and whils they were amazing in many ways they just couldn't handle Hard Rock/Metal or any music with a lot of things happening at the same time.

Are Stax the same or are their earspeakers different from full-range models?

Also, would the 4040 system be a good buy?

My source would be a Densen 400XS CD player and a Thorens TD-850 turntable with an Ortofon Kontrapunkt C cartridge.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5,982 of 24,807
While I am waiting for my GES I have been doing some research and re-read Kevin Gilmores original article about his amp design. He claims that tube rolling seem to make no difference in his amp design. Do those of you who use a Blue Hawaii or GES agree with this or am I understanding this wrong?

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #5,983 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I am waiting for my GES I have been doing some research and re-read Kevin Gilmores original article about his amp design. He claims that tube rolling seem to make no difference in his amp design. Do those of you who use a Blue Hawaii or GES agree with this or am I understanding this wrong?

The amps are less sensitive to tube rolling then many other amps but they will of course benefit from high quality tubes just like any other, better component.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #5,984 of 24,807
All right, I give in, I have to ask: what the bleedin' 'eck is 'tube rolling'? I've always had visions of you tube (or valves, as we call them on this side of the Atlantic) lovers physically rolling them on a flat surface. I'm a Naim (SS) man through and through, so it's all a mystery...

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #5,985 of 24,807
It's very similar to the classic way Cuban cigars were made. Requires the virgin thighs of young women.

Actually it's just trying different tubes (by manufacturer and age not type) in a tube amp. When you buy a current production tube amp you are most likely going to get new production tubes. Older production tubes can sound better than current production. Older by about 30-40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back