The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #1,382 of 24,807
Does anyone have any DIY experience with the Kevin Gilmore tube amp that the Woo Audio GES is based on? I emailed Jack Woo to find out what the output voltage is. The response was: “The output signal voltage is -150v to +150v, or 300v swing. The max output would be the peak, which multiplies by 1.4”. More than likely I will buy an amp on recommendations rather than an audition (I don’t have any audio buds with the amps I’m considering). I want to make sure that I get an amp that will drive my O2’s to their full dynamic potential. Some people have complained that some of the after market amps (and some Stax SRM’s) do not have enough drive for the O2’s. I listen at moderate levels but I don’t like compressed dynamics. I also don’t like a loose or weak bass. I hear that the other Gilmore amps (KGSS & BH) have great drive. The Stax 717 and 727 are high output units also. Anybody have thoughts on this subject?

Thanks
AudioD
lambda.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #1,383 of 24,807
Quote:

If I remember correctly they pushed the driver into place with the backwave foam but didn't really mount it properly. The SR-3 has a rubber ring under the driver and then it is compressed by two pieces of the housing. Proper mounting of the driver is the key to a great sounding headphone.

Right. So, if you lay the driver against the baffle and lay a bead of silicone around the edge, you will have a completely sealed mounting.

Quote:

I have used pieces of plastic pipes for barrels and covered it with heatshrink and it came out ok.

I'm amazed that we still don't understand each-other.

The bakelite barrels are intact and doing fine. It's the part with the pins sticking out of it that is slowly shattering.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #1,384 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The response was: “The output signal voltage is -150v to +150v, or 300v swing. The max output would be the peak, which multiplies by 1.4”

That sounds like an unnecessarily difficult way of saying it. The +/-150v value is RMS (I always refer to swings as peak-to-peak values personally). Anyway, the power is 300Vrms or about 430Vp-p, which is similar to Stax's amps.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #1,385 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds like an unnecessarily difficult way of saying it. The +/-150v value is RMS (I always refer to swings as peak-to-peak values personally). Anyway, the power is 300Vrms or about 430Vp-p, which is similar to Stax's amps.

Carl,
300 RMS volt swing is kinda low compared to the KGSS, BH or 717/727. The 007t is 340 RMS. Is this on the low side of acceptable for the O2's? I keep hearing that the O2’s need a lot of drive to sound their best.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #1,386 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by niels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any recommendation for new 6CG7 tubes in a Stax 006t ?
Leaning towards these :
http://www.upgradeaudio.com/img/R%F8...0CLEARTOPS.JPG
Any suggestions welcome....

The price is climbing on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Or-More-Tube-6...QQcmdZViewItem

but at $12/tube is still not unreasonable. The short-plate Japanese Raytheon's (I've also seen them as several other brands, including Toshiba, who I suspect may be the actual manufacturer) are as good as I've heard the 007t sound, and I've also heard them in a friend's 006t (just as good there). Long-plate US made Raytheon tubes are not the same, and in my opinion the Japanese tubes are superior. Spritzer has posted biasing instructions for the 006t in this or the old Stax thread, IIRC.

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #1,387 of 24,807
Jack Wu has completed construction of my WOO GES amp, equipped it to drive my HE90, sent me a picture, and said that it performs wonderfully. I've asked Jack to take it to the National Meet in San Jose, before he delivers it to me. Lets hope that some of the conference attendees try it with Stax and Orpheus headphones, and then post their comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any DIY experience with the Kevin Gilmore tube amp that the Woo Audio GES is based on? I emailed Jack Woo to find out what the output voltage is. The response was: “The output signal voltage is -150v to +150v, or 300v swing. The max output would be the peak, which multiplies by 1.4”. More than likely I will buy an amp on recommendations rather than an audition (I don’t have any audio buds with the amps I’m considering). I want to make sure that I get an amp that will drive my O2’s to their full dynamic potential. Some people have complained that some of the after market amps (and some Stax SRM’s) do not have enough drive for the O2’s. I listen at moderate levels but I don’t like compressed dynamics. I also don’t like a loose or weak bass. I hear that the other Gilmore amps (KGSS & BH) have great drive. The Stax 717 and 727 are high output units also. Anybody have thoughts on this subject?

Thanks
AudioD
lambda.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #1,388 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right. So, if you lay the driver against the baffle and lay a bead of silicone around the edge, you will have a completely sealed mounting.

Stax used a rubber seal to do the same thing but clamping the driver brings a much bigger and better difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm amazed that we still don't understand each-other.

The bakelite barrels are intact and doing fine. It's the part with the pins sticking out of it that is slowly shattering.

I was talking about using a new connector and scrapping the old one. You can't modify these WPI connector because they will break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price is climbing on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Or-More-Tube-6...QQcmdZViewItem

but at $12/tube is still not unreasonable. The short-plate Japanese Raytheon's (I've also seen them as several other brands, including Toshiba, who I suspect may be the actual manufacturer) are as good as I've heard the 007t sound, and I've also heard them in a friend's 006t (just as good there). Long-plate US made Raytheon tubes are not the same, and in my opinion the Japanese tubes are superior. Spritzer has posted biasing instructions for the 006t in this or the old Stax thread, IIRC.

I second Hirsch here. These are excellent tubes with no apparent faults. If you need the bias instructions PM me.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #1,389 of 24,807
Apr 6, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #1,390 of 24,807
Thanks for the advice, I find those tubes very cheap actually !
Eh, how will I know if I need biasing ? Guess my 006t still has the original (rca ?) tubes in it...

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #1,391 of 24,807
Surprising that nobody is going for these. Price seems decent with the energizer, and there's been enough said about the non-pro versions to spark my interest, anyway. Unfortunately I'm a strict no-audio-purchase diet at the moment, while I wait for my new Garrard plinth and EMT tonearm to arrive :frowning2:

No affiliation with the seller, etc.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #1,392 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickamory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip, Hirsch. I've just ordered two
tongue.gif

Ditto! Just ordered a quad for the 007tII

Thanks!!
lambda.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #1,393 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack Wu has completed construction of my WOO GES amp, equipped it to drive my HE90, sent me a picture, and said that it performs wonderfully. I've asked Jack to take it to the National Meet in San Jose, before he delivers it to me. Lets hope that some of the conference attendees try it with Stax and Orpheus headphones, and then post their comments.

Share the picture!

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #1,394 of 24,807
Ancient Stax amp on Yahoo Auctions Japan

Apologies if this has been posted before... I missed it if so. SR3 X, or was that the headphone it was to be used with?

If above link doesn't work, try this...

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #1,395 of 24,807
There's also an SRM-Xh for pro earspeakers up there... presumably this was released to drive the near-mythical SR-X Pros?

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back