The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #10,246 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiogon.

Or craigslist if it's available. My friend just scored a mint set of lambda sigs and SRMT1 for $600
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #10,247 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Stax Lovers,

Can someone advise me what is the most cost effective way in to Stax. I do not know anyone near me with Stax. I would really love to try something new. I have been looking on 'bay but everything looks so far out of reach. Any advice?

Thanks

So many ways to go, ad here are some of them:
* SR-Lambda and SRD-7 -> ~$300
* SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7 -> ~$250
* SR-Lambda Pro and SRD-7mk2 -> ~$5-600
* SR-Lambda (Pro) and SRM-1 mk2 -> ~$700

Then there are the new systems like SRS-2050, SR-001MK2, ...

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #10,248 of 24,807
Quote:

Hi Stax Lovers,

Can someone advise me what is the most cost effective way in to Stax. I do not know anyone near me with Stax. I would really love to try something new. I have been looking on 'bay but everything looks so far out of reach. Any advice?

Thanks

I started my STAX career in the late 70's with the SR-44 electret system. Tried going back to dynamics, but I couldn't, I was hooked! I've seen these several times on ebay and this is probably the most cost effective way to delve into the STAX world.
In '82 got the Lambda Pro/SRD7 Pro. They served me very well for over 25 years and I'll never part with them. These I highly recommend!
Last year got the O2's. Driving them with the SRD7 Pro for now, but of course, this is a little (a little?) out of the 'cost effective' league.
Bottom line IMO, any STAX you can afford will be worth the price of admission!

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #10,249 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are perhaps the single greatest purchase I think that I have made in this hobby.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I spent five hours straight today happily listening to them.

I am really psyched to hear that, and I felt the exact same way about them. It was one of those "aha!" moments, "so this is what I've been looking for!"

Then of course, I got tempted by the O2.
tongue.gif
But I still feel like I could easily have stopped at the LP or the Signatures.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #10,250 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sigma with 404 components (that is what is in the 4070 too) is only available as a do-it-yourself modification or can be done by a dealer. Yamasinc, the US Stax dealer did it for me for about $500.00. For me it is a close second to the 007A and if you really like its speaker-like presentation, you may even prefer it to any Omega. I plan to bring mine to the LA Canjam.

So this mod sounds better than a 4070? It's a closed phone with speaker like presentation? So I just need to find a used Sigma and pay around 500 for the mod? Any idea how much a used Sigma goes for?

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #10,251 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are perhaps the single greatest purchase I think that I have made in this hobby.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I spent five hours straight today happily listening to them.

Quote:

I am really psyched to hear that, and I felt the exact same way about them. It was one of those "aha!" moments, "so this is what I've been looking for!"

tongue.gif

Glad I'm not the only one on this boat!

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #10,252 of 24,807
Quote:

tongue.gif

But if I already skipped ahead to the O2Mk1, do I need to wonder about what I might be missing with the LP or Signature??
p.s. I saw March 9th that Justin is ready to ship the 1st "Spring 09" BHSE! I supect we'll see some impressions here before mine ships.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #10,253 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyearle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if I already skipped ahead to the O2Mk1, do I need to wonder about what I might be missing with the LP or Signature??
p.s. I saw March 9th that Justin is ready to ship the 1st "Spring 09" BHSE! I supect we'll see some impressions here before mine ships.

No, with proper amplification the SR-007 or SR-007II will give you a sound that will not be able to be reproduced by any Lambda. Lambdas are like a more detailed MS-2i (a very nice dynamic IMO). Lambdas are lighter and IMO more comfortable than the SR-007.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #10,255 of 24,807
Quote:

How are the SX-40? Any opinions? How much would you pay for them?

Are you looking at the 'SX-40' on ebay?
I believe that's the SR-40 headphone and SRD-4 adapter, hence the SR-44 earspeaker system. IMHO it's an excellent entry level STAX system and I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a set in real good condition, but considering the extension cord is included I think it's worth $225.

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #10,259 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyearle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this mod sounds better than a 4070? It's a closed phone with speaker like presentation? So I just need to find a used Sigma and pay around 500 for the mod? Any idea how much a used Sigma goes for?

The Sigma is a forward mounted phone but is not closed. Check Stax Japan History section to see what they look like.

Another possibility for you is the Koss ESP9 or even an ESP6 which are closed phones which use a transformer. They are not speaker-like but are closed. BTW I don't think the 4070 is "speaker-like" as with the Sigma. Hooked up to the right amp and source the 9 is quite good. I use a Rat Shack 100wpc Sherwood with them and also to run the speakers in my bedroom. I have my 9 set up next to my 717/007A and I am always amazed how good the 9 is at a small fraction of the price of the other set-up. Many of those which can be found on Ebay are crapped out and virtually all will need new replacement pads from Koss (about $6.00). However a good set usually goes for about $150.00. The Sherwood amp is $100.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back