The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #23,101 of 24,807
Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone had their electrostatics spontaneously fail from a passive issue such as dust collection or moisture?

I asked spritzer about whether the dust and minor pleather debris on the outside of my stator assembly would affect performance and he said that they wouldn't, and my ears tell me the same. Nonetheless I am concerned about the long-term longevity of the transducers. I am considering purchasing a pair of transducers as a backup but I'm against the idea of preventing someone who actually needs a replacement from being able to get one down the line.

Not sure if this will ease your worry or not, but, I have had my Lambda normal bias since ?1988? or so, they have been in humid hot conditions (when I was in Houston) for the first ?ten years? or so, and in cold climate (in Northern Illinois and then in Alaska, which was also humid during the summers) and now in Minnesota, very frigid in the winter (-30F ambient) and humid in the summer, they have been sitting out on a shelf covered only with a towel for the last, oh, nine years or so here in Northern Minnesota, and they still work just fine.  Also I am a dude that does not clean the dust off the shelves very often, surprise
tongue_smile.gif
blink.gif

Hope that helps you feel a little better about the "dust" and humidity issues others have been talking about...of course as always, YMMV, IME, and YEMBDTM, etc etc.... 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #23,104 of 24,807
I will change/upgrade my current SRM-T1 with the SRM-T1S for my Signature Pro.

Is there any technical difference between these models out of the balanced intput? I have only found in the technical specs that the T1S has a wider frequenz range to 41 kHz vs 20 kHz of the T1.

thanks!
regular_smile .gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #23,105 of 24,807
According to some that own both the T1S and T1W is supposedly slightly inferior in sound to the original T1 due "to more components in the signal path", this was exceptionally outlined by golden-ears pkshan when I asked about it and was put off from buying a T1S due to that reason, only because the balanced input appealed more to me.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #23,106 of 24,807
Quote:
According to some that own both the T1S and T1W is supposedly slightly inferior in sound to the original T1 due "to more components in the signal path", this was exceptionally outlined by golden-ears pkshan when I asked about it and was put off from buying a T1S due to that reason, only because the balanced input appealed more to me.

Maybe pkshan can come and chime in on this topic as we'll really appreciate his help on this matter.

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #23,113 of 24,807
T1 and T1S are pretty much identical.  Relays take care of the source selection so should be as transparent as is possible.  The T1W is a bit problematic as it routs the signal all over the place.  I've had them side by side and heard differences but what caused them is harder to predict.  Tubes weren't identical and neither had been recapped. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #23,114 of 24,807
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, we need more golden ears.

We need more science to determine those who actually have golden ears, compared with those who think they do.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #23,115 of 24,807
Hey I just hit the 2000 hour mark on my Lambda's, I feel that the sound has improved somewhat more and there is more realism to the treble with vocals. I'm guessing a 2000 hour burn in does help with these stats aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back