The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #21,528 of 24,807
Quote:

I still have fond memories of these old Koss phones.  When I did the comparison some years back referenced in kevin gilmore's citation I found some good things to say about them compared even to late version Stax.  I would sure like to hear them run off the Ampzilla in question. Jim Bongiorno was a famous figure in American audio and would not have included this feature if he didn't think it would be of audiophile quality.

I liked my ESP-9's at the time I had them (1973)   but they were NOT comfortable and I did NOT like the ESP-6's in comparison.

I used the ESP-9's with a Citation 12 power amp, SAE XXX preamp and Akai GX365 open reel deck, Philips 212 turntable / ADC XLM  (later an AR-XA  and Shure V15 - III )

Pretty high-end at the time, for a college student 

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #21,529 of 24,807
Quote:
Oh, you like the WFS DAC-2 better?

For whatever it's worth I tried the W4S DAC1 and put it up against the PWD DAC Mk2 and, well, the differences were so small that I couldn't reliably tell which one I was listening to. (this was using the Stax SR007 mk1). The DAC1 stayed, the PWD mk2 was sold. I didn't think it was worth 3X the cost (all used prices)

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #21,530 of 24,807
Quote:
I heard the SR-009's for the first time today (at a Montreal Audio show - Jack Wu was there with a WES, SR-009s, and SR-007s, along with about 8 or so other dyanmic setups). I only had about 10 minutes, and I wasn't very used to the music (I forgot to bring a CD), but they still  sound incredible. Going between the 009s and 007s, the 009s just sounded clearer, while the 007s sounded dark (they were black 007s, no idea if they were SZ-2 or SZ-3). 

They are also more comfortable for my big head. The adjustable headband seems to have just a bit more room than my 007s, and the insides of the earcups are larger.

I hope you didn't use the WES for that comparison?  The SR-007 SZ3 isn't all that dark... 

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #21,531 of 24,807
I hope you didn't use the WES for that comparison?  The SR-007 SZ3 isn't all that dark... 

I did use the WES. It was the only electrostatic headphone amp at the show so far as I could tell.

Btw, I clarified my original remarks to indicate that comparatively, I found the 007s darker than the 009s, instead of saying that either headphone is generally dark or bright.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #21,532 of 24,807
Hey all, looking for some speculation.

I will be demoing the STAX SR-407 w/ SRM-252S Amp combo from Justin over at HeadAmp.  I will be comparing this to my sr-lambda/srm1-mk2 setup.

now, at this time unfortunately, my srm1 is normal bias only, no pro bias socket.  I know the 407 would work from my amp, but not to full potential.  my question is....  if I was to add a pro bias socket to my normal bias amp, which I planned on doing anyway, how comparable would it be to the SRM-252s?  Could I expect the same/better/worse performance?

I know this is a pretty vague question, but any insight would be helpful.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #21,533 of 24,807
Quote:
While I have not heard the normal bias Lambda, I do not agree that the midrange of the 202 is a bit grainy or rough. I am very fond of the 202 in fact and that includes the midrange. I agree that the midrange of, for example, the 007 is much better (more articulate, smoother) but as a starter's setup the 202 is very hard to beat.

Can't say I've been fortunate enough to hear an SR-007 or other Omega-series setup, but those are the only words I could find to describe how differently the SR-202's midrange sounds.

Also consider that we may be looking for different things in the overall sound presentation; the SR-202 experience actually taught me that I was a midrangehead/vocalhead all along, and didn't really know it 'til after I had a suitable headphone to pit against the ol' SR-Lambda. Some may find the SR-202 signature more preferable, though, particularly those fond of headphones like the HE-400.

I just wanted to make the case that vintage Lambda setups should not be overlooked as starter Stax setups due to their age, especially Normal bias ones.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #21,535 of 24,807
Quote:

Can't say I've been fortunate enough to hear an SR-007 or other Omega-series setup, but those are the only words I could find to describe how differently the SR-202's midrange sounds.

Also consider that we may be looking for different things in the overall sound presentation; the SR-202 experience actually taught me that I was a midrangehead/vocalhead all along, and didn't really know it 'til after I had a suitable headphone to pit against the ol' SR-Lambda. Some may find the SR-202 signature more preferable, though, particularly those fond of headphones like the HE-400.

I just wanted to make the case that vintage Lambda setups should not be overlooked as starter Stax setups due to their age, especially Normal bias ones.

I know the Lambda is highly regarded because of its midrange. I hope I have the chance to listen to it one day, then maybe I'll agree with you. :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #21,536 of 24,807
Quote:

For whatever it's worth I tried the W4S DAC1 and put it up against the PWD DAC Mk2 and, well, the differences were so small that I couldn't reliably tell which one I was listening to. (this was using the Stax SR007 mk1). The DAC1 stayed, the PWD mk2 was sold. I didn't think it was worth 3X the cost (all used prices)

Thanks LC and MH for your response:
i know the differences between DAC are small.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #21,537 of 24,807
Quote:
I did use the WES. It was the only electrostatic headphone amp at the show so far as I could tell.

Btw, I clarified my original remarks to indicate that comparatively, I found the 007s darker than the 009s, instead of saying that either headphone is generally dark or bright.

That is part of the problem as the WES hasn't got a chance in hell to drive the 007's.  The SZ3's are more upfront than the Mk1's though. 

Quote:
Hey all, looking for some speculation.

I will be demoing the STAX SR-407 w/ SRM-252S Amp combo from Justin over at HeadAmp.  I will be comparing this to my sr-lambda/srm1-mk2 setup.

now, at this time unfortunately, my srm1 is normal bias only, no pro bias socket.  I know the 407 would work from my amp, but not to full potential.  my question is....  if I was to add a pro bias socket to my normal bias amp, which I planned on doing anyway, how comparable would it be to the SRM-252s?  Could I expect the same/better/worse performance?

I know this is a pretty vague question, but any insight would be helpful.

It would be far better than the 252, much more power on tap. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #21,538 of 24,807
Quote:
I liked my ESP-9's at the time I had them (1973)   but they were NOT comfortable and I did NOT like the ESP-6's in comparison.

I used the ESP-9's with a Citation 12 power amp, SAE XXX preamp and Akai GX365 open reel deck, Philips 212 turntable / ADC XLM  (later an AR-XA  and Shure V15 - III )

Pretty high-end at the time, for a college student 

I had that AR-XA/Shure V15/III combo for years with my Dynaco A25s and an AR Receiver and Superex Pro B V phones. Spent many many hours with that rig and felt on top of the world. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #21,539 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks LC and MH for your response:
i know the differences between DAC are small.

No worries. Once you get in this territory, they're all (usually) very good and differences are more "flavours" than steps forward (from my experiences). Another great DAC that I owned was the Cary XCiter. I had to sell it because it wasn't balanced, but if you don't need balanced, that was one impressive DAC IMO.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #21,540 of 24,807
Back in the sexiness of the stax thread. With spritzer, the man of stax 
bigsmile_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back