The Stax Thread III
Oct 18, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #6,616 of 25,638
Mine are scheduled for PJ to ship on October 23.
biggrin.gif

Congratulations, enjoy!

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #6,618 of 25,638

Not can't; won't.
wink.gif

(Since you could easily get an affordable amp to use with it in the meantime. Like I mentioned before, I got an SRM-212 for just $150, for example.)

True.
Thank you for the suggestions, but I'll wait for the BHSE…I'm in no rush, nor do I feel the need to spend anymore money just to hear them temporarily then have to sell the amp when I do receive the BHSE.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #6,619 of 25,638
  True.
Thank you for the suggestions, but I'll wait for the BHSE…I'm in no rush, nor do I feel the need to spend anymore money just to hear them temporarily then have to sell the amp when I do receive the BHSE.  
beerchug.gif

Well, you wouldn't have to sell the amp. You could always keep it as a backup. But I respect that you don't want to bother getting an amp now, even if it means waiting for a long time. I wonder what Justin's gonna do in the realm of electrostats once he discontinues the BHSE.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #6,621 of 25,638
  Well, you wouldn't have to sell the amp. You could always keep it as a backup. But I respect that you don't want to bother getting an amp now, even if it means waiting for a long time. 

You do have a good point for a back-up, but I have other HP's/amps that I can listen to/enjoy if I had any unfortunate issues and was without the amp for a while. I feel I already have too much and would like to possibly downsize to just a couple of amps/HP's to leave out ready to listen to, and put away which ever I decide not listen to for a while…or possibly sell, but I doubt I could part with anything...depending on how much I enjoy the BHSE/SR-009 that is of course! Sometimes I feel its a hassle having too many choices, and while what I already have may not be too many for some, it is too many for me, so basically I'm trying to find the perfect combo for my preference (which I know is almost impossible) but this is what I'm aiming for with this purchase.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #6,622 of 25,638
  You do have a good point for a back-up, but I have other HP's/amps that I can listen to/enjoy if I had any unfortunate issues and was without the amp for a while. I feel I already have too much and would like to possibly downsize to just a couple of amps/HP's to leave out ready to listen to, and put away which ever I decide not listen to for a while…or possibly sell, but I doubt I could part with anything...depending on how much I enjoy the BHSE/SR-009 that is of course! Sometimes I feel its a hassle having too many choices, and while what I already have may not be too many for some, it is too many for me, so basically I'm trying to find the perfect combo for my preference (which I know is almost impossible) but this is what I'm aiming for with this purchase.

I hear ya. Look at all the stuff I used to own, listed on my profile!

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6,623 of 25,638
  I'm hoping to get my SR-009 sometime this week…but can't hear them until the BHSE comes in. 
redface.gif

Why don't you get something small, used, and hopefully cheap whilst you wait for your BHSE? I know I would find it mighty hard to sit with SR-009's in the house and have no way to listen to them!

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #6,625 of 25,638
So, I have to admit I'm skeptical that the current 007A and 007Mk2 actually sound different
frown.gif

It is true. I have a new pair of 007As from PJ 4 months back, and they sound MUCH better than my previous 2013 all black 007s UK sourced via a dealer.

The all black ones were boomy, sluggish and sound just off to me. The 007As sound nearer to the 009s, i.e. faster, more alive and the bass has much better control, less flab.
No idea why, but it is a dead cert, I ran both hose 007s on the same amp and source, and had the black ones for 2 years....

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #6,627 of 25,638
I have heared quite a number of 007 and even among MK1s there is variation (roughly said carbon box ones are more neutral SN<705xx) the best is my actual one a verry early SN701xx.

But the new one I heard was really good too, a bit more exciting sound as my neutral reference one. So I agree with Spritzer that Stax sorted out the problems they had with the so called MK2.5 (SN SZ3xxx). Two questions remain unanswered: Should the new one be called MK2.75 and when did the change occure?

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #6,628 of 25,638
I have heared quite a number of 007 and even among MK1s there is variation (roughly said carbon box ones are more neutral SN<705xx) the best is my actual one a verry early SN701xx.

But the new one I heard was really good too, a bit more exciting sound as my neutral reference one. So I agree with Spritzer that Stax sorted out the problems they had with the so called MK2.5 (SN SZ3xxx). Two questions remain unanswered: Should the new one be called MK2.75 and when did the change occure?

That's good, then, since I wanted to get an SR-007MK2 from STAXUSA.com in addition to the SR-009 and SR-007. I wonder whether all the ones they have in stock are the newest revision. The black SR-007MK2 might be my favorite headphone in terms of aesthetics.

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #6,629 of 25,638

That's good, then, since I wanted to get an SR-007MK2 from STAXUSA.com in addition to the SR-009 and SR-007. I wonder whether all the ones they have in stock are the newest revision. The black SR-007MK2 might be my favorite headphone in terms of aesthetics.

The only way to know for sure, is test it on your system before you buy. It is fairly obvious the jump in SQ to the Silver Japanese sourced 007A, it sound to me like a smaller 009, possibly slightly warmer and less treble energy, but defiantly moved away from the softer sounding 007MK2.5 and that blobby bass. I also noticed the frame on the MK2.5s seems to interact with the bass output, it is odd, there seems to be a kind of strange sucked out response it is hard to describe, but is apparent on a good source and amp. I came to the 007MK2.5s from an older pair of LNS so I had no real idea what to expect i.e thought my MK2.5 were good. They are actually good at bass output compared to the LNS and other Lambdas, and go louder, but the rest of the sound is off too much to live with them. IMO Stax finally did something about it, or at least in the Japanese market version.

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #6,630 of 25,638

IMO - this is true for the 2015 productions units of the (Black) SZ3 SR-007 MKII.  According to Stax there is not such thing as a 2.5.  There are only Mk2s.   This is my second 2015 production pair of the Black SZ3 MK2.  They both sound much better than the pair of 007As I got from Spritzer with the mod he put on them.

I'm going to order a pair of 007A from PJ just to see how they fair.  So at that point I will have the latest 007A and the latest 007 MK2.  There may not be any difference at all - I'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back