The Stax Thread III
May 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2,386 of 25,665
Astrostar, I like your thoughts on giving the source before getting the 009. I have the 007 mk1 with the KGSSHV and I was wincing many a time when I heard some of my material. I am busy now upgrading to lossless and 24/192.

May 17, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #2,388 of 25,665
Hi jaycalgary
You heard any None Oversampling DACs? I find they sound much better than Delta-Sigma DACs including most higher resolution files.
It might be worth looking at that. My front end changed a lot (for the better) after I abandoned the over sampling hype / Bull.

Let your ears do the talking.....Redbook can sound amazing.

May 17, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #2,389 of 25,665
I think we have to get things into perspective here a little
blink.gif

Broadly speaking the design of the Stax amplifier ranges (2xx, 3xx, 6xx and 7xx) over the years have broadly stayed the same. Yes there have been a few tweaks here and there and a few more novel designs like DC coupling and hybrids (SRM-3, SRA-3S) so you are not looking at radically different designs from the vintage stuff. Also just because the 7 series is more expensive than the 3 its dangerous to assume the parts are significantly different in quality. If you have ever worked in manufacturing and retailing you will know that packaging up something which is pretty much a similar product in a premium look means you can increase both the price and the profit margin
biggrin.gif

As  you have already discovered the 009's are significantly easier to drive than their predecessors so IMO high voltage output does not need to be the main criteria. In fact the 7x series only outputs 50 volts more (about 10%) than the 323! The 323 is less than half the cost of 7xx series amplifier but I would say provides almost equivalent performance as diminishing returns kick in very quickly. However I believe the 727 is probably Stax's best sounding amplifier from their current range, its a bit more refined than the 323, but you have to make your own value judgment.

Personally I would agree with you that providing the best possible source should be the priority, garbage in garbage out! So money spent on the front end source will always pay dividends, as the amp and headphones can't "magic up" information its not being fed.

You say the Lambda series in another league (lower) than the 009's. Whilst I agree to some extent they cost 5 to 10 times less than the 009's. Whilst they aren't up to the TOTL Stax they can still beat out the majority of their dynamic brothers in terms of transparency and detail. If you are considering buying from the current Lambda range I would have a good listen first as many prefer the previous series due to changes which some feel had a negative effect on the overall sound. Having listened to the current range myself I feel the 207 offers the best bang for the buck.  

Quote:
No No, this is bad advice dude. The Lambda in another league (lower) than the 009s so any connection here is worthless / not relevant.
The 009 is easy to drive but is another detail / resolution level and will reveal all the fault of the cheaper parts and less voltage in the 323s.
Turn up the volume pot and see what happens....

I have heard both the 323s and the 717 (which I am using right now) and the 717 rocks. It sounds great with the 009s which I tested this week against the BHSE
and it was not miles behind actually. A second hand 717 or a modded 727 would be better IMHO if on a budget. Next step up would be a big jump in money to the KGSS and upwards.

But I am sticking with my 717. I am not convinced the jump is worth the money for me. And I like the less hassle aspect of valves in the stat amp.

Turning this on it's head, the advice to get an 009 also depends on the front end (DAC and Transport). If that is low quality the system will be top heavy and
will reveal all the problems, giving an unsatisfactory sound overall. It is complicated. If the front end is lower qulity he may be better looking at a 507 and get a better
DAC?

May 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #2,390 of 25,665
The 717 does sound quit e a lot better to my ears than the 323s when I had the 323 here through my 007s. Turn up the volume above half way and you will see....

The Lambda Nova Signatures were happy with either amp as far as I could tell.

And the inside design looks kinda quite different i.e more heat sinks, 2 x plug in boards for left and right output,
bigger trans, more caps in the PS decent resistors dotted about.

I am not saying the 323s is bad, only the 717 is quite different. Also the 717 doesn't have the feedback removed like the
existing 727 which sounds rather poor.

May 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,391 of 25,665
No No, this is bad advice dude. The Lambda in another league (lower) than the 009s so any connection here is worthless / not relevant.
The 009 is easy to drive but is another detail / resolution level and will reveal all the fault of the cheaper parts and less voltage in the 323s.
Turn up the volume pot and see what happens....

I have heard both the 323s and the 717 (which I am using right now) and the 717 rocks. It sounds great with the 009s which I tested this week against the BHSE
and it was not miles behind actually. A second hand 717 or a modded 727 would be better IMHO if on a budget. Next step up would be a big jump in money to the KGSS and upwards.

No offense astro but that's not what I am saying.  No doubt the 009 is probably better on a 717 versus a 323s but I've heard firsthand the LNS on 717 Kgss and 323s and very easily the 323s was my pick.

I know on paper it's probably the weaker amp but there is a great synergy of that combo I have yet to replicate on another amp.

May 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,392 of 25,665
the 323s was my pic
k

Fair enough. Maybe your upstream gear suit the 323S? My LNS were a bit bright or should I say leaning towards an edgy treble quality which will emphasise
a brighter DAC or source. Possibly they also don't need the extra juice in a 717?

The LNS and 323S were probably designed to work as a set so synergy is the name of the game as you say.

May 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,393 of 25,665
Hi Folks,

looking for some help from the communal Stax braintrust....

I have picked up a set of SR-Xmk3, and have an SRD7 on its way to me....  (this will be my intro to Earspeakers)

Two things are immediately apparent 

1) the SRX needs new pads - what are my options? Any options other than pleather?
2) the SRD7 is labelled 100V.  Can it handle my local 240V power? - How do I check whether it can? (I'd rather not let out the essential smoke that makes it work...) Can I look for a specific PCB version, etc...?

Thanks in advance for assistance

David

May 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,394 of 25,665
This is very odd as the Lambda Nova Signature is probably the smoothest of all the Lambda range.
Are you sure it had not been tampered with or are confusing it with the Lambda Signature which can be a bit bright and edgy.
If it does not have Signature in red on the ear cups its not and LNS, it would be a LS or a 404 Signature.
The LNS was produced at least a decade before the 323S so were never designed as such as a set.

Quote:
k

Fair enough. Maybe your upstream gear suit the 323S? My LNS were a bit bright or should I say leaning towards an edgy treble quality which will emphasise
a brighter DAC or source. Possibly they also don't need the extra juice in a 717?

The LNS and 323S were probably designed to work as a set so synergy is the name of the game as you say.

May 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,395 of 25,665
Pads are available @ audiocubes (and several other shops in the world) : http://www.audiocubes2.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/18/products_id/142?osCsid=0fb79cfa8241f0ab0d34724e6d7f0b98

Ali

May 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,396 of 25,665
I've been doing some comparisons with between my SRM-600 and Stereomour 2A3 + SRD7 combo driving my SR-507.  Both amps are able to give wonderful sound with the 507 and each amp is able to do some things better than the other.  SRM-600 on the whole is clearer more detailed and faster than the Stereomour.  This is most apparent with fast and detailed music sushi as Metal or Electronica.  The SRM 600 is also brighter and more forward sounding with a smaller soundstage.  As for the Stereomour it also manages to be very detailed but in a more sublet way where the SRM 600 pushes all the detail out into the open.  The Steromour is certainly darker, more relaxed, natural, with a larger soundstage.  I really enjoy this amp with acoustic, jazz, classical genres with meshes well with the amps ability.  Its nice to have the ability to use the SRD7 to test out various stereo amplifiers such as the Steremour and SEX amps which I use for my speakers.  At the end of the day the SRM 600 wins out with is abilities but it is very surprising how great my other tube amps work with the SR-507.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,397 of 25,665
Might be a dumb question? Has anyone tried connecting the earphone out from a Mac Laptop to a Stax RCA in?
If so, is it a disaster, or does it sound ok.

I am trying to figure out if there is a cheap and portable solution when I am away from home (and with my Laptop with Audirvana+)
and avoid buying a second DAC.

May 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,398 of 25,665
Might be a dumb question? Has anyone tried connecting the earphone out from a Mac Laptop to a Stax RCA in?

I am trying to figure out if there is a cheap and portable solution when I am away from home (and with my Laptop with Audirvana+)

There are the battery powered stax amps?  Ofc mac->stax amp doesn't sound terrible, though I haven't tried. It's probably just a little 'meh'

May 18, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,399 of 25,665

Well, the question is difficult to answer on a forum like this. For instance, I can say that in my view point, all DAC's including any modern computer line out are virtually indistinguishable from one-another when loaded with the high impedance of an amplifier input stage. I can also point out that double blind tests have been conducted which back up this claim. 

Of course, at the end of the day, you'll still get a barrage of people saying I'm insane, I don't have good enough gear to hear the difference, I'm not listening right, my ears suck, I don't want to hear a difference, etc... And of course, double blind tests are irrelevant.

The prevailing opinion is that indeed DAC's make a huge difference especially with electrostats.

So ultimately, you must make your own decision on what tests you want to do to figure out what will sound good, and how you personally choose to define "sounds better".

May 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,400 of 25,665

Well, the question is difficult to answer on a forum like this. For instance, I can say that in my view point, all DAC's including any modern computer line out are virtually indistinguishable from one-another when loaded with the high impedance of an amplifier input stage. I can also point out that double blind tests have been conducted which back up this claim. 

Of course, at the end of the day, you'll still get a barrage of people saying I'm insane, I don't have good enough gear to hear the difference, I'm not listening right, my ears suck, I don't want to hear a difference, etc... And of course, double blind tests are irrelevant.

The prevailing opinion is that indeed DAC's make a huge difference especially with electrostats.

So ultimately, you must make your own decision on what tests you want to do to figure out what will sound good, and how you personally choose to define "sounds better".

Interesting thoughts and I'm personally leaning in the same direction (sort of) but not yet thoroughly established in this hobby so I can't say much about that. We better not follow such a controversal thought further on this forum 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back