The Stax Thread III
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #991 of 25,656
I find it interesting that both my Sigma and Lambda Signature has the same kind of smell. Perhaps it is the ear pads?
Ohh, by the way, the reason the seller of the Sigma set them at a low price was because he couldn't find any prices on ebay. I find that kind of amusing, they are indeed a little rare.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #992 of 25,656
  I have never used PriceJapan, but I was tempted too when buying the 009's.

It's my understanding that Stax USA will not do any repairs on products purchased in Japan. You will have to send it back to Japan for warranty repair or even non-warranty repair.

That's just the luck of the draw. Even if you did send it back to Japan once for repair, I am guessing it won't cost $1100 in shipping.

For some it's worth the risk, for others it's not.

One other factor that is the main reason I bought used is that I wanted them right away. It looks like most of the US dealers have them in stock whereas with PriceJapan it looks like you have to wait for them to arrive from the factory which can be a 4 month or longer wait. As a potential dealer, Stax USA also told us that to buy a pair of 009's for demo/stock, the wait from the factory was 4 months. I am not sure what the actual wait time is, but that's potentially a long wait. I guess the factory can't build them fast enough or they are doing their stocking dealers a favor to get people to buy from the dealers who have them in stock.

Darinf,
Thanks for this info>

I'm still have the 007mkII,and just got the 727mkII amp back from Justin..,so,its nicely modded.
I'm in no rush
Hoping the 009's won't be too bright for me
I listened to them at the NY meet,on a number of high end amps,to my ears,there were perfect,and extremely comfortable,much more comfortable than the 007,s.

Tnx,
Mike

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #993 of 25,656
  Justin

What you have stated makes sense.  The voltage converter would take up space----since you stated that you were US Stax dealer, where is your website?  Seems I have to do some more due diligence here.  Therefore, the 120V model SRM-323S needs no converter.....

www.headamp.com

it's true there's almost no margin selling Stax, i only sell it because I like the products and also build a couple electrostatic amp models. 

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #994 of 25,656
I have the SRM-717 and thinking about moving to the KGSS DX version, I prefer a detailed and delicate as opposed to a more powerful sound. From what I have read, I am better off sticking with the SRM-717 to get what I'm looking for. I would be using it with the SR-009. I can't dem the KGSS DX so would really appreciate if someone can confirm.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #995 of 25,656
Hey - can you guys help me from having to read thousands of posts?  I'd really like to get a set of Stax cans and a complimentary amp, but the SR-9's are just way too expensive. Is there a good resource that describes some of the other "most desirable" models?  Otherwise, I would likely go with Audeze LCD-3's or Sennheiser HD-800's. Thanks for any guidance as I start my search.

Peter

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #999 of 25,656
Hey - can you guys help me from having to read thousands of posts?  I'd really like to get a set of Stax cans and a complimentary amp, but the SR-9's are just way too expensive. Is there a good resource that describes some of the other "most desirable" models?  Otherwise, I would likely go with Audeze LCD-3's or Sennheiser HD-800's. Thanks for any guidance as I start my search.

Peter

There's no good resources really. You have to ask or look through the threads or reviews

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,001 of 25,656
I would consider 007 mk1 and SR-omegas the "most desirable" of the headphones, along with the original lambda signature / LNS based on hubbub? You really shouldn't sleep on the less-discussed models, especially if you're trying to hit some price-conscious target- that will require some reading though.

Essentially every gilmore-designed ES amplifier is desirable, mostly due to a lack of supply and only one manufacturer willing to commercialize them (not simultaneously) - the list generally includes

KGSS (diy, commercial)
KGSSDX (commercial)
KGSSHV (diy)
KGBH (commercial)
BHSE (commercial)
T2 (diy)

The bolded ones are the most accessible these days, provided you have the skills or wallet (or both). Of course you could chalk all this hype up to a few vocal users of the aforementioned equipment, but this is the internet after all.

To put it in numerical terms, I can't see anyone grabbing any combination of amplifier and headphones mentioned above for less than 4 figures. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,002 of 25,656
Wasn't the Woo GES designed by KG?

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,003 of 25,656
  I would consider 007 mk1 and SR-omegas the "most desirable" of the headphones, along with the original lambda signature / LNS based on hubbub? You really shouldn't sleep on the less-discussed models, especially if you're trying to hit some price-conscious target- that will require some reading though.

Essentially every gilmore-designed ES amplifier is desirable, mostly due to a lack of supply and only one manufacturer willing to commercialize them (not simultaneously) - the list generally includes

KGSS (diy, commercial)
KGSSDX (commercial)
KGSSHV (diy)
KGBH (commercial)
BHSE (commercial)
T2 (diy)

The bolded ones are the most accessible these days, provided you have the skills or wallet (or both). Of course you could chalk all this hype up to a few vocal users of the aforementioned equipment, but this is the internet after all.

To put it in numerical terms, I can't see anyone grabbing any combination of amplifier and headphones mentioned above for less than 4 figures. 

Thank you nopants!  That is a really good place for me to start with.  I had heard that the 007 mk2 was a bit treble rich, and that gave me pause.  I will continue researching, but also start my search.  Any other advice from folks???  Best, Peter

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,004 of 25,656

The past few months I've experienced a variety of Stax and I've come to the conclusion that the best Lambdas are indeed the old Lambda Signature, LNS and Normal Bias SR-Lambda. I also like the 007mkI a lot better than the SR-009.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #1,005 of 25,656
Thank you nopants!  That is a really good place for me to start with.  I had heard that the 007 mk2 was a bit treble rich, and that gave me pause.  I will continue researching, but also start my search.  Any other advice from folks???  Best, Peter

Peter,,
I wouldn't,t be so quick to dismiss the 007mkII,which I also found a bit bright,when I first listened to them.
However,recently,I found a pair of 007mkII,and a 727 amp,which I sent down to Justin at Headamp,who modded it,and the result is outstanding
All this ran me,under $3K,it was purchased used,from 2 great head-fiers
I feel the 007mkII,is a bit underrated.,
Might I suggest,you start giving the buy/sell forum a strong look,sometimes,you can pick up some fantastic deals
Best of luck ,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

• NCUS
Back