The Stax Thread III
Aug 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 25,567
Quote:
Question from a newbie : which Lambda should I choose to taste its sound at lowest price ? Used ? New ? SR-207 alone (or SR-307) ? Vintage normal bias ? 

Ali

Have a look at the entry stax thread... Else what sound sig do you like? Because all you mentioned are viable options..

I'm back on my lambda sig's btw, got the pads back on again.. Now with 1-2 mm of extra space, it is really nice, but the housing is still slightly sticky. Can't say how it affects the sound, but it seems less intimate than I remember. Probably just because I have grown accustomed to the 500's. 

Have a question btw. How do you like to position your lambdas? I guess it is a well known fact that the sound is sligthly colored by how you position the earspeakers? Anyway, I like to have them sitting high on my head with the lower part of the housing shifted forward, so the thick part of the pads is just behind/slightly below my ears.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #32 of 25,567
I'm no basshead.
I love the sound of my SR-5, and look for something a bit more refined, with better imaging. My SR-X mk3 is mor refined, but a bit boring and really lacks bass
For ultimate transparency and overwhelming amount of informations, I already have my SR-009 
smile.gif

Ali

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #33 of 25,567
Quote:
I'm no basshead.
I love the sound of my SR-5, and look for something a bit more refined, with better imaging. My SR-X mk3 is mor refined, but a bit boring and really lacks bass
For ultimate transparency and overwhelming amount of informations, I already have my SR-009 
smile.gif

Ali

Oh well... Dunno, maybe the original lambda would be nice? 

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #34 of 25,567
I recently bought a STAX SRD-7 SB to to pair with my Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amp.  Not sure if many people have had success with these compared against a regular STAX amp.  I will have to see if my 507 will like the SRD-7 + Bottlehead combo.  Consensus seems to point towards the SRD being inferior to the dedicated amps but I'll be able to test it for myself once the unit arrives. 

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 25,567
So its been 6 days since I received Birgir's built KGSSHV and I literally haven't listened to any of my full sized headphones since!  All I can say is wow! Great build by a great builder (who is always makes time to help others). 
size]
 (FWIW, KG has also been very helpful through my Stax journey too and as mentioned earlier, yes they can be hard on the wallet 
size]
, but assets to our community IMO).

For those wondering the differences between the KGSS and the KGSSHV, I would say that the improvements are on par with the GS-X MKII over the GS-1. Just more of everything...transparency, imaging/staging, bass control/depth. 

I guess next itch to scratch will be a new DAC in the fall.

Oh...and subscribed to this thread. 
size]

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #36 of 25,567
MacedonianHero, congrats on your new KGSSHV. The improvement in going from a GS-1 to a GS-X MKII is no small engineering feat and a good 10% on a headphone that scales well with balancing. That's the difference between mid-fi and summit-fi right there.

Now, if only the mods and KG could find a vendor and put together a group buy for the rest of us. 
wink_face.gif
 I figure there is at least demand for 10-15 units at $2500-$3000 each. 

I almost bit on a Liquid Lightning II, but Spritzer's magic pixie dust comment in the last thread put me off. Then again, pixie dust vs unobtainium is a tough battle to judge.

Could someone explain what the limitations of using a Stax transformer box are? I see the power vs finesse argument in the HE-6 forums a lot, is it something similar and can the gap be overcome with a quality power amp?

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #40 of 25,567
Quote:
Can I have the other thread back along with this one? Too many chronic posters posting nonsense as far as I am concerned. I would be happy if they kept their gibberish on one of the Stax threads and the other a bit more quiet and a bit more interesting.

Maybe all the 'gibberish' should go in The Entry Level Stax Thread.

@Currawong: can you also stick a link to the above mentioned thread in your opening post.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #45 of 25,567
for little more than 20000 bux you can get yourself a pretty "statement" pair of speakers and amp... Or a glorious sounding digital less pretty speakers... I understand why he is selling his 009/BHSE/DAC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back