The Stax SR-507 Thread
Oct 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #121 of 361
I adore the LL with the SR-007, but it's not the most overtly detailed presentation; there's a bit of smearing going on there. With regard to the SR-007, details are more apparent on the BHSE for me (though the presentation doesn't have as much depth as on the LL, IMHO).

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #123 of 361
Quote:
 I tried the 007 with the 007tII amp and it was, in my opinion, a terrible match. I would have bought 600ltd but it wasn't available locally so I wound up with the 006t and I'm happy with it even though I know the 600ltd is better. 

Although I've never heard the 600ltd, in 2000 I got the SR-007mk1 along with the SRM-007t after reading good things about that combo, but it proves auditioning audio equipment when possible is a must. I say that because l too don't think that combo is very good but l didn't get to hear them before l bought them. IMO the fault is with the Stax amp because l heard headfier IanG's 007mk1 with my BHSE [ after the BHSE had been on power for about two hours ] and that amp turns those headphones into something special. The SQ using the LL with the 007's is also very good.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #125 of 361
Quote:
750 USD for a Used , but great condition SR507. good ?

I bought 507 (also used, but "like new" condition) a year ago for $685 + about $40 for EMS from Japan... about 5-6 months ago sold them in Russia for about the same price 
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #127 of 361
Quote:
thats a good price. so did you get SR009 ?
what are the improvements moving up ?

YGPM

Yes, I bought them... as for improvements, the 009 have similiar sound signature as 507, but 009 is much better in every department, but the price/sound is definitely much better on 507... but I compared them on my upgraded GES and then I was thinking that by the sound quality 009 should cost about $3000 compared to prices if dynamic/isodynamic tops (and 507 of course)... then recently I got WES ["MAXXED"] and now I think that 009 can cost even $4000 for the way they sound 
o2smile.gif
 But I already sold 507, so don't know how good they will be with WES ["MAXXED"] compared to 009...

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #128 of 361
Pad mods.

I have spent now 6+ months with my 507, and it can be considered broken in. The claimed brightness never bothered me (perhaps due to the amp pairing, and also to my aging ears), but indeed sounded a little bit lighter than I wished. Instruments do have that nice body resonance, but slightly on the ethereal side of reality.
I started playing with reversible mods, mostly with the earpads. The leather pads of the 507 fold over the piece which is glued to the body, so that I could safely stuff in small blobs of natural wool filling for experimenting. The wool blobs were of 5-8 mm diameter, available as replacement filling for sleeping pillows with natural wool fillings.

First I lightly stuffed the four corners, then very lightly the sides too. The sound became darker, with more bass and less treble, more distant with less details. It was too much for me. Then I took out the framed cloth which covers the drivers. Sounded cleaner, with virtually no treble etch (but without the wool filling, it does sound etched without it). However, I wanted a more open sound.

I took out all stuffing and started to experiment corner by corner. The lower corner behind the ears is worth stuffing fully. It improved everything, more bass, calmer treble, better imaging, and better comfort. The upper back corner behind the ears wants to take less stuffing - too much of it causes too dark sound. For me, the front corners (bottom and up) are the most sensitive to stuffing, I could hear the difference that even a single blob made. I have just put one blob or two in the lower front corner and left the upper front one empty.

It's surprisingly good now. I used classical, instrumental and electronic music for testing, now all of them sound better. The bass has got a nice touch of slam and attack, and the treble sounds "calmer". It does not sound dark or shut in, it's still very open sounding, but not any more too light/ethereal. The good news is the balance can be changed very easily by changing the amount of stuffing, so everyone can dial in the desired effect. If I will have the opportunity, I will compare it with other headphones again, but this change cured by upgraditis for a while. I really enjoy the 507. When I bought it, I preferred it over the Senn HD800, Hifiman HE500, HE6, Audeze LCD-2r2 and even the LCD3. Now it is even better, especially for the price.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #129 of 361
A small addition. During my speaker building projects, I have experimented with dozens or hundreds of materials for internal filling. Out of those, there were only a couple which were usable for my taste: natural wool (preferable non-carded) being the best and widest range, then down or very light feather, and active carbon. Out of these, only wool is practical for the 507 pad mod. But it is not forbidden to experiment with other stuffing, actually I did that too, and wool kept working the best.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #130 of 361
Just make sure that whatever material you use doesn't flake or leave small particles everywhere. Stax dust covers are usually quite good, but the last thing you want is even more small particles trying to get into the drivers.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #132 of 361
Quote:
Just make sure that whatever material you use doesn't flake or leave small particles everywhere. Stax dust covers are usually quite good, but the last thing you want is even more small particles trying to get into the drivers.

Good point. Fortunately the wool stuffing I use does not leave small particles, but you managed to scare me :). I tried putting back and forth the cover several times, but after listening over 2-3 CD's I removed it again, and there is no fear which would make me putting that one back. There is a metallic mesh protecting the driver, which of course smears the sound through secondary reflections, but still sounds more clear with much finer gradations of detail, than through the cloth cover provided by Stax. On the back side, they use a very loose texture foam, similar to the active carbon filters. I may try other materials for dust cover, but for now it is very good without it :). When not on my head, the headphone stays in a box, and in my area the air is pretty clean, so I hope for the best.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #133 of 361
Quote:
How amp do you use zolkis ?

Unfortunately it is not really relevant. I use a hefty prototype amp made by a small audio research company, a pretty interesting circlotron-like (but different still) design with huge power reserves, and a minimum amount of very high quality components. The sound is relaxed, dynamic and realistic with instruments and despite being a transistor amp, it is less edgy than even tube amps, while having better micro and macro dynamics. Most amps sound hard, constipated and edgy in comparison, with less deep bass. The amp has both Stax Pro and (high gain) 6.3 jack outputs (perfect for e.g. Hifimans), so I can compare headphones easily. Despite jack headphones having some theoretical advantage (this design deliberately uses high quality step-up transformers), the Stax 507 does not seem to lose anything compared to them. Compared to e.g. the Stax 323 this amp is much better in every way. I have asked for lower gain 6.3 output as well, but since the volume control is fine enough, it's not really needed, at least it works fine with my Grado too. It is not (yet?) available as a product, and I cannot share much about it. Price was about half of the 507 retail for the proto - but these people only make R&D and prototypes, then other companies make products from the designs, so I expect if derived products will ever hit the market, will cost a lot more. I don't expect BHSE price though :), even if the same Alps RK50 volume control was used (I pondered using it, but I am not convinced yet).

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #134 of 361
Quote:
I don't find mine bright at all, even compared to the traditional normal bias Lambda, but I use tubes and have old ears.

My sentiments exactly. I hadn't noticed this thread until now, and I'm glad to see it. I bought my SR-507 new from Elusive Disc. They are the best, most revealing and most neutral headphones I have yet owned. Point of information: I drive them with the Stax SRM-006ts tube amp, which some say softens the highs. I have been listening to both for maybe nine months.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #135 of 361
If I have one offense to do about the SR507 is the small soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back