The Sonic Escapades of CCZ Plume & Subsequent Models
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

ChrisOc

Headphoneus Supremus
Screenshot_20210705-181905_Gallery.jpg

CCZ is a new brand - as at 1st July 2021 - its first set of IEMs is the CCZ Plume, the "Golden Nugget".

Let's see what is in store for us with Plume and subsequent models. How does CCZ fare on the 3Qs?:

Sound Quality
Build Quality
Quality of Service

Screenshot_20210701-110945_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 99
Why CCZ? EZ Ear Plume would have been a much better name...KZ, CCA, CVJ...CCZ will have its brand identity impacted by these. Clearly CCZ does not aim for the same market as the rest of them.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 99
Why CCZ? EZ Ear Plume would have been a much better name...KZ, CCA, CVJ...CCZ will have its brand identity impacted by these. Clearly CCZ does not aim for the same market as the rest of them.
Maybe we can persuade them to keep it simple, "EZ Ear Plume", or even just "Plume" and we know they are made by EZ Ear.

If they sound good, our primary desire is achieved, the rest we will make our voices heard. If they don't sound good.....dare I say any more!

There is no mercy on Head-fi.org for sonic disasters!

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 99
Maybe we can persuade them to keep it simple, "EZ Ear Plume", or even just "Plume" and we know they are made by EZ Ear.

If they sound good, our primary desire is achieved, the rest we will make our voices heard. If they don't sound good.....dare I say any more!

There is no mercy on Head-fi.org for sonic disasters!

Ya agreed, the lay consumer doesn't give two hoots about some alphabet soup brand or IEM name (cough cough looking at you Urbanfun YBF-ISS014). CCZ actually can confuse consumers who may think it is some CVJ or CCA spinoff.

If they came up with some memorable english name, I think sales will be better.

And of course, the biggest cheat code ---> use some anime girl otaku waifu packaging. Sales will increase hundred fold after that hahaha.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 99
CORRECTION

I have been informed by Keephifi that my reliance on AliExpress information has led me astray. The name used by a store on AliExpress, EZ EAR is incorrect.

Screenshot_20210706-110045_AliExpress.jpg

The name is, CCZ Plume and the attached spec sheet I relied on is wrong. No EZ Ear, I am afraid! All reference to EZ Ear removed.

Which means we will swim in the alphabet soup for a while longer but what matters is the sonic presentation on to the next post to separate the not so good news from the more palatable news.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 99
First Impressions

The Good News is that the review unit arrived a few minutes ago and BOY this is BIG SOUND!

They are easy to drive so you do not need much volume, and you can listen to them in a sedate manner, but crank the volume up slightly and you get a HUGE stage and lots of detail. They are up there for quality.

At this very early stage the HI-A drivers (tweeters) are just teething on the right side of sibilant, to my ears. Lots and lots of detail and clarity. No sibilance (again I say to my ears) but they are not shy drivers.

The IF-A drivers for the mids are a bit more restrained but well tuned with plenty of information and yet more detail.

Bass is more than adequate, with both mid-bass and sub-bass very well presented. I think CCZ are onto something with their implementation of the dual magnetic dynamic drivers. The bass sounds very well formed and they just sound like they can handle anything thrown at them at any speed.

In terms of information coming from the drivers, clarity, resolution (right through the frequencies) and HUGE sound stage is what comes across on some tracks.

We will see how the Plume fares with time.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 99
Keephifi informs me that they have a sale on all products they stock, including the Plume, with this 15% discount code 06ZHD1666010, 15% off from 6/22--7/22. I am told they have the Plume in stock.

I will do my best to have my review done before the end of the discount period (if you are considering them) but I need time to get to know what the Plume can do, give the DD time to settle, and find out what quirks they have, if any, so bear with me. All I can do is try to give you my honest opinion and that may take time.

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 99
FOCUS - On the Package

While giving the drivers (particularly the dynamic driver) time to settle or burn-in, and then the review on, preliminary, the sound, I will focus on something different which a prospective owner might be interested to find out. I propose to post a few words, each day, on:

The package
Build quality
Tech in the Plume

So on to the focus on the package.

As may be clear from the publicity photograph above and the attached photo, the Plume comes well appointed and may be one of the more generous packages at its price range.

You get the now obligatory micro fiber cloth and make up brush. 🙃

The package includes a variety of various coloured stem tips, 7 in all, on the top layer of the package, not a huge number but sufficient to get started for most of us. A set of medium grey translucent with grey stem tips (to be discussed in Tech in the Plume) are included in a separate small plastic bag, one pair of which (medium) comes fitted to the ear pieces and the other two sizes (small and large) are shown on the micro fiber cloth, in the picture above.

20210706_140546.jpg

[Excluding DAC/Amp]

Also in the package is a good looking leather case, which does smell of real leather. The case is a decent size and will take the earphones, cable and small bits you need on the move.

The cable is a brown fabric sheathed beauty made of single crystal copper with a 2.5mm plug. There are two relatively chunky strands to the cable. There is a solid silver and black wire splitter and a functional bead-like cable adjuster or chin slider. Notwithstanding the chunkiness (technical term) the cable feels quite malleable. It feels nice to the touch.

As a complement to the cable are two adapters, a 3.5mm adapter and a 4.4mm adapter, so you are well sorted for most of your portable audio gear.

Of course, we cannot forget the golden nuggets themselves.

Screenshot_20210706-221540_Gallery.jpg

Build quality tomorrow.

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 99
FOCUS - On Build and Build Quality

CCZ tells us that the earphones are a full metal build.

Quote with inserts: "Plume [is built] with aluminium alloy all metal shell by CNC five-axis precision carving, hand grinding, polishing and metal electroplating. Shines like jewellery to show the distinctive beauty of metal."

If this is not tainted by marketing speak, this is a serious commit to the product. I frankly think that if this product were made in some countries it would be described as:

Precise carving from the finest aluminium alloys, using the very latest technologically advanced five-axis precision tools. It is only then that we turn them over to our craftsmen to be hand-finished and polished artisan crafted ear pieces.

Forgive my cynicism!

Turning to what has been been produced, I can safely say they feel solidly built, but it would appear an effort has been made to reduce weight, so they do not feel as weighty as 2019 all metal shells, such Meze Rai Solo and TRI i3. Nonetheless, they feel substantial, smooth and tactile. Somebody did their homework and executed very well, lets hope the build quality stands up to the test of time.

From the user point of view, I can say they feel solidly built and fit comfortably in my ears. The contours work well for me. They have two vents on the inner side and the nozzles are fairly long and unobtrusive, see picture below.
20210708_111855.jpg

The aesthetics is a question of taste and for me, they are just on the right side of Bling. Had it been all done like the inner part of the ear piece it would be too Blingy for my taste. To me, the saving grace is the insertion of the black grill it just looks right. Even though the name CCZ is not as appealing as we would like, I have to say the use of the letters C,C,Z to create the logo is not bad, but the implementation is even better because it is etched on to the ear pieces.
20210706_195124_05.jpg

The black grill just tones done a potentially "LOUD" design. Bling done right above and Bling done,...(shall we just say)....not to my taste below.

Screenshot_20210628-100258_Gallery.jpg

Tomorrow, Tech in the Plume.

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 99
If I am correct, @Nimweth is expecting a set as well so we will have a few more impressions for those who want to plunge for the Plume.

On second thoughts that sounds rather risky! 😁
Yes, that's right. Shouldn't be too long now, ordered 5th July. (Thanks to Ann at Keep Hifi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back