The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #541 of 698
MH 438 Somic Headphones for $20.00 out the door.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #542 of 698
SOMiC MH 438 Mini Review

I don't have any other SOMiC models yet so no way to compare. They are the form factor of the Bose On Ears, a little bigger and better sounding. The sound signature is very bass centric and there is a small area of mud in the lower mids. At first ten minutes of listening I thought they were completely non-efficient which must have had something to do with burn in. After 10 hours they became way more efficient and had better sound stage. At 30 hours they are wonderful and by far the best $20 headphones I have ever purchased. No accessories included with the headphones themselves but a nice protective box with insert is included. They also come with a plastic bag to carry the box home from the store. LOL Marketing.

There was an inspection sig and the cord has a small plastic tag with a serial number which can be removed. I tend to enjoy these to listen to stuff in public. I run them straight out of an iPod Touch Generation 5. I also use an Asgard One as well as the JDS Labs C421 Operational amp.

They are keepers and the sound stage and bass are quite frankly amazing for their little size. No creaks at all. The aluminum in the construction must be internal as the complete exterior construction is plastic except for a beautiful stainless steal internal band.They are on ear so no changes needed for pads. Half the size and weight of the flagships posted here but fun none the less.

Headband has a clicking and solid feel as well as a solid adjustment process. They can be worn for a couple of hours. A long listening period was done last night and I think I will only use these for trance IDM music. They can get confused with the display of a lot of acoustic instruments being played back all at once. Trance is the perfect genre. For $20 bucks a one genre trance headphone is their place in my world. I did try them out with about 5 of my copies of Dark Side Of The Moon. The best ways to describe these is they play the first half of the album well but fail at the second half. Still what do you want in audiophile headphones for $20 out the door?

Amazing because they are open but with smaller drivers they are not as leaking as some of my full size headphones. The bass response is especially noticeable after listening to these for two days then switching back to a more even frequency response headphone. They pair well with the Asgard and seem more normal in the bass response, maybe due to the flatness of the Asgard. I would say the Asgard is the perfect amp for them.   

In many ways I feel they are fun. I have not tried to EQ out what I feel they are missing in frequency. They do scale well with better equipment. They are actually very very well made but still plastic none the less. These make me really wonder about trying the other headphones and IEMs from SOMiC. The company makes 2 million headphones a month, does all construction and R and D in house at the factory. They have two of the biggest headphone factories in China. Cant wait to see where SOMiC goes from here in headphone releases. I would say these are $160 headphones.

MH438
Characteristic:
1.CCAW voice coil speaker brings clear sound;
2.Anti-vibration aluminium structure;
3.Adjustable headband design;
4.Available for PC, iPod, MP3 and iPhone;
5.Reduce pressure soft earphone bracket design.
Specifications:
Driver diameter:              Φ40mm
Impedance:                     32Ω
Frequency response:     20Hz~20kHz
Sensitivity( S.P.L):           94dB±3dB(1.0 kHz/1mW)
Cord length:                    approx.1.8 meters
Net Weight:                      approx.165g

Over all I would describe the sound as a little dark and exactly like the Bose On Ears only better. The V sound signature taken very far. Just a fun headphone but can get boring after a while. They have a first listen wow factor that can come with color and head stage of this type of headphone. Good for a couple hours but not something to listen to for four hours straight. IMO.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #543 of 698
I also like the MH438, especially the build quality is impressive for the price. Somics make more expensive Sennheiser hd228 and PortaPros feel like cheap toys. Not counting the heavily discounted Mikros90, MH438 and JVC ha-s400 are the best inexpensive portables I have. Definately better than sennheiser and koss I mentioned and at least as good as $100 Fidelio M1.

I've had few other somic headphones. Mh463 is excellent but efi82mt was disappointing. A lot of people like efi's so it might be that it just did not suit my tastes. Sc308 was not my cup of tea either. M520 is another great portable somic. I have the Salar em520 version. It was 12$ with free shipping and came with some (bad sounding) earbuds. M520 does not sound as refined as MH438 but it has nice bass and clarity is more than decent for the price. Build is all plastic but seems durable.

Some day I want to try mm185 or mm163. I've heard those are great. Atleast the pads look comfy and detachable cable is always nice :)

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #544 of 698
Can't wait to try the SOMiC MH 463!
  I also like the MH438, especially the build quality is impressive for the price. Somics make more expensive Sennheiser hd228 and PortaPros feel like cheap toys. Not counting the heavily discounted Mikros90, MH438 and JVC ha-s400 are the best inexpensive portables I have. Definately better than sennheiser and koss I mentioned and at least as good as $100 Fidelio M1.

I've had few other somic headphones. Mh463 is excellent but efi82mt was disappointing. A lot of people like efi's so it might be that it just did not suit my tastes. Sc308 was not my cup of tea either. M520 is another great portable somic. I have the Salar em520 version. It was 12$ with free shipping and came with some (bad sounding) earbuds. M520 does not sound as refined as MH438 but it has nice bass and clarity is more than decent for the price. Build is all plastic but seems durable.

Some day I want to try mm185 or mm163. I've heard those are great. Atleast the pads look comfy and detachable cable is always nice :)

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #546 of 698
Has anybody already got their hands on the Somic MM185? I have been on the hunt to find them in European seller but no luck so far. Btw, do you think this Hercules HDP DJ M1 is rebranded mm185? :wink:

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #548 of 698
Has anyone tried the MM185? What's your impressions? They're supposed to be a EFI82 successor which I've heard raving reviews about.

I've written a little review comparing MM163 and the M50s that I'll post soon. I wonder if the MM185 is closer to the M50 than the MM163 is. What I've read seems to suggest that.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #549 of 698
I got the MM185 from aliexpress for ~25€. I like them very much. They are comfortable and isolating.
The upper mids seem to loud so i reduce them with equilizer: But they are my first full size Headphones so never mind :p

I am looking for an open model now. I read many reviews and these are my possible choices:

Somic MH489 (~52€ +tax maybe)
Somic MH463 (~42€ +tax maybe)
Lasmex H-75 (~50€ from my country: warrenty, faster, no tax) 

So i would like to know if the Lasmex really sound the same as the "unbranded Somic"?
The reviews aren't as good as the Somic's(?). And they say the Lasmex H-95 sound better than the H-75...
So what ist the difference between the two Lasmex and the Somic except the housing and cable?

May 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #551 of 698
Hi all,
I have Sen's Hd 650, Samson's SR850, Pioneer's SE-A1000, and now Indian rebranded version of Somic MH463 which is called iball Jaron5.I have some other headphones as well such as Sen's Hd439, px100, Hd 380 pro etc.
In mine version all the cracking noises from earcup rotation i was hearing about was not present. So may be the have fixed it finally.
Now let's directly come to the sound comparison.
MH463 out performs all single handedly but Sen's Hd650.
SE-A1000 showed some competition but MH463 won by a large margin.
And for the price which is $24 it was a steal.
Now between Hd 650 and MH463 in out of 10 in each area 650 wins by :-
sound stage : 2
Clarity : 1.5
Imagining :  1.5
Neutrality : 1
Recessed : -2(means MH463 wons by 2).
Fun Sound : -1
OverAll Sound Average : 1.5(Won by 1.5 )
Comfort : 3
Build Quality : -1
Average : 1

Over All listening Experience : Hd 650 is better sounding HeadPhone then MH463 by 1.5(so if Hd650 is 10 then MH463 is 8.5)  in sound.
But in india Hd 650 costs $600 and MH463 costs $24.
So, You choose which one is better?
deadhorse.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

May 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #552 of 698
  Hi all,
I have Sen's Hd 650, Samson's SR850, Pioneer's SE-A1000, and now Indian rebranded version of Somic MH463 which is called iball Jaron5.I have some other headphones as well such as Sen's Hd439, px100, Hd 380 pro etc.
In mine version all the cracking noises from earcup rotation i was hearing about was not present. So may be the have fixed it finally.
Now let's directly come to the sound comparison.
MH463 out performs all single handedly but Sen's Hd650.
SE-A1000 showed some competition but MH463 won by a large margin.
And for the price which is $24 it was a steal.
Now between Hd 650 and MH463 in out of 10 in each area 650 wins by :-
sound stage : 2
Clarity : 1.5
Imagining :  1.5
Neutrality : 1
Recessed : -2(means MH463 wons by 2).
Fun Sound : -1
OverAll Sound Average : 1.5(Won by 1.5 )
Comfort : 3
Build Quality : -1
Average : 1

Over All listening Experience : Hd 650 is better sounding HeadPhone then MH463 by 1.5(so if Hd650 is 10 then MH463 is 8.5)  in sound.
But in india Hd 650 costs $600 and MH463 costs $24.
So, You choose which one is better?
deadhorse.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

WOW, really?!
I was going to get the HI2050 to be my open pair, although I may get this one.
Are you using the stock pads?
And what's your source?

May 20, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #553 of 698
My source is E17k with E9k combine in dac-amp config.
if you are considering  2050 and not this one the Pioneer SE-A1000 is also not a bad choice.
Yes i am on stock modded pad.
And in all these headPhones listed in my previous post MH463 is have the most enjoyable sound of all.
Hd650 may have better clarity and soundstage but i still prefer this one . SE-A1000 is 3rd no. in my preference list .But you can't go wrong by any of these two. because these two are better then 2050 for same or even less money.

May 20, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #554 of 698
  My source is E17k with E9k combine in dac-amp config.
if you are considering  2050 and not this one the Pioneer SE-A1000 is also not a bad choice.

Well I was between the HI-2050 and this Somic, I really liked the Pro 80 so the HI-2050 had an advantage for me, although I think that the HI2050 may be a bit too bright for me...

I though that the build quality of the Somic wasn't really good, but you rated it better than the HD650?! Comfort should be solved with the Brainwavz HM5 pads, I think that I''ve seen somewhere that they fit on the Somic.

And have you ever tried to use just the E17k? Are they hard to drive? I just have the Fiio E10k to use on my desktop, and I really don't plan to buy anything else at the moment.

I already have the HD 681 Evo and the Pro 80, so this would be to end my budget-fi desktop collection

May 20, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #555 of 698
Some times i uses E17k and my Apple ipod combo and it sounds same to me. I don't think that it is hard to drive but a amp is preferable for better overall sound. 
And about Hd 650.
it is better then MH463 but 463 has more engaging and enjoyable sound signature.
so yes it is better then Hd650 on my opinion.
And about the build quality i can assure you that you will be surprised when you see it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back