The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 10, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #691 of 2,925

Jude? Jude? Jude? Jude? Jude? Jude?

Jude, like Beetlejuice, only responds when you say his name three times.  I'm afraid he will not be able to help you now.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #692 of 2,925
My first question to myself is not if I can afford it, it is if I have a good pair of ears for it.  And I know the answer to my second question.  

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #693 of 2,925
i listened to the original Orpheus 3 times ,i was more impressed by the look of it than it's sound.
i was able to compare the Orpheus,the hd800,and the hd650 after each other and to MY ears the hd650 came out on top.
can't wait to listen to the new Orpheus.:heart_eyes:

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #694 of 2,925
You'll be able to say to yourself that you once heard mankind's greatest musical & technological achievement. That would be treat enough for me and I would pay a good sum of money just for that.
The only question is where, when and how.

Dang, you really think the 1060 is all that? I'd pay for a good concert but not just to listen to today's fav cans.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #695 of 2,925
Dang, you really think the 1060 is all that? I'd pay for a good concert but not just to listen to today's fav cans.

I raced senior TKM (karting) for many years but still paid to do a track day in an Arial Atom!
You can listen to can which are sadly out of my price range at a meet or CanJam (Audeze LCD-3 etc) but not the Orpheus. So I would defiantly pay (but not too much :wink:)
Obviously a live gig in an intimate setting is best but these cans are just yet another, different listening experience.
Jude didn't just say these are good. He said they were the best ever by some margin and then started to weep like a 3yr old girl. That's enough evidence for me that these are a little more than just 'today's fav cans'.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #696 of 2,925
Get well soon MuppetFace I also enjoyed your reviews especially the Th900 your comments were very well measured.

We might all be here for one time so enjoy the ride of life.

If you do buy the new Sennheisers I'm sure your review will be very interesting.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #698 of 2,925
  The problem with Orpheus, like any really good piece of equipment, is the fact you have to spend some time with it. 

OK, I did get to hear it finally this year in Munich High End 2015 - but in a super noisy environment ( shame on Sennheiser, they did have kind of closed space, demoing the new CLOSED headphones there, with Orpheus being left out in the general din ...( in the same hall, King's Audio built their own "hall within a hall", with a superbly done demo of their King III electrostatic speakers ...)). But even if and when silent booth was available, those 5-10 minutes max one can hope to get for demo from the manufacturer's soft/hardware is not enough for anything approaching buying decision - at any price, let alone at what Orpheuses of this world command.

The number of people who have had at least an afternoon or evening with the original Orpheus must be therefore relatively small. There were 300 sets sold, I doubt this averages to more than 10 people per set for an "afternoon/evening" long session.

Too bad you never made it to Vienna, where Sennheiser had a well-maintained Orpheus in their store next to the House of Music. I've been there several times, very comfy and quiet listening room. And they were totally cool about me listening to the Orpheus for pretty long sessions, with music I brought along. Heard it side by side there with all their TOTL headphones (HD600/650/700/800 via HDVD800), which to my ears all paled in comparison. Even brought my JVC woodies along (the only IEMs I know that convey somewhat similar euphony imo) and A/B'd them at length, the Senn rep never even raising an eyebrow over what I was doing lol.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/256063/post-your-photography-here-2-new-dial-up-800x600-friendly/12870#post_11264751  (If you look closely, you can spot the JVCs :wink:

Sadly, they closed down the store earlier this year. It was an oasis for music lovers.

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #699 of 2,925
  Seriously though, If I wanted one now how do I place the order?

??
rolleyes.gif
... you simply contact them (Sennheiser) directly and ask.

Edit:
If you threaten them with an upfront 50% down payment, they will find a way to accommodate you. Just have your credit card ready
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #702 of 2,925
Like all great headphones you wont get an immediate wow factor, you only come to realise what they can do with extended listening.
Any audio stuff i've bought in the past that was bought on immediate hifi-wow factor has soon become tiring and has been shown the door fairly soon :)

Quote:
  i listened to the original Orpheus 3 times ,i was more impressed by the look of it than it's sound.
i was able to compare the Orpheus,the hd800,and the hd650 after each other and to MY ears the hd650 came out on top.
can't wait to listen to the new Orpheus.:heart_eyes:

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #704 of 2,925
Is it really limited edition that they will only produce 300-1000 units? I hope not. That will be more detrimental than having a luxury car price tag to music/headphone lovers who do not have a fat wallet. They can keep its price tag and production so music/headphone lovers will have a chance to save up over some time to eventually get it. But this is not the mentality of those limited collectors who want their collections have very limited quantity available in the world.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back