The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Nov 9, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #647 of 2,918
By the same token the HE90 can't do what the HD650 does. They are two different headphones after all.

My point was simply some people prefer the HD650 to the HE90. There are cases of people moving on from the HE90 to rest at the HD650 as their "end game".

so that was your point. thanks for clarifying.

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #648 of 2,918

By the same token the HE90 can't do what the HD650 does. They are two different headphones after all.

My point was simply some people prefer the HD650 to the HE90. There are cases of people moving on from the HE90 to rest at the HD650 as their "end game".

@superlowfi, perhaps it's true these people are out there, but I don't personally know any Orpheus owner who preferred the sound of the HD650 to Orpheus.

I imagine there are at least a handful of Orpheus owners (and former owners) observing this thread, so perhaps some will chime in, one way or the other.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #649 of 2,918

@superlowfi, perhaps it's true these people are out there, but I don't personally know any Orpheus owner who preferred the sound of the HD650 to Orpheus.

I imagine there are at least a handful of Orpheus owners (and former owners) observing this thread, so perhaps some will chime in, one way or the other.

At the same time, I would argue there are two types of personalities when it comes to consumer goods in general. One type who has a set of requirements, and chooses a product based on those requirements and stops there. The second type has the personality which is constantly seeking "better" products, and is never satisfied with their current products and is always seeking something else (whether there actually exists products which are objectively better or not almost doesn't matter).

I would argue that most of the community contributing here fall into that second category.

There is no "right" answer or "right" way to approach headphones, only that from my personal experience there is overlap between the former personality above and those that had previously owned Orpheus systems. We are after all talking about personal preferences, which is what headphones are, and not objective metrics such as who is the fastest race car driver around a track.

I could ask my acquaintances who I've been in touch with to sign up for this forum and contribute here regarding their reasons, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #650 of 2,918
Every electrostatic I've ever heard or owned was lacking in bass authority.  They just couldn't reproduce the lowest of the low end.  Midbass punch was relatively lacking as well.  I've heard the SR-007 and SR-009, and I owned the Lambda (Pro?) SIgnature and another Lambda Signature that was modified to essentially be a 404.  Sometimes people mention this about e-stats, and other times it's ignored.  What do you guys think about the base of the Sennheiser HE1060/HEV1060?

JUDE?

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #651 of 2,918
At the same time, I would argue there are two types of personalities when it comes to consumer goods in general. One type who has a set of requirements, and chooses a product based on those requirements and stops there. The second type has the personality which is constantly seeking "better" products, and is never satisfied with their current products and is always seeking something else (whether there actually exists products which are objectively better or not almost doesn't matter).

I would argue that most of the community contributing here fall into that second category.

There is no "right" answer or "right" way to approach headphones, only that from my personal experience there is overlap between the former personality above and those that had previously owned Orpheus systems. We are after all talking about personal preferences, which is what headphones are, and not objective metrics such as who is the fastest race car driver around a track.

I could ask my acquaintances who I've been in touch with to sign up for this forum and contribute here regarding their reasons, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

you're free to make your assumptions about the personality types of the folks who are posting here for what they're worth, but a headphone's performance can be objectively measured and subjectively judged. there are folks who happen to value both approaches to headphone evaluation and some of them have probably posted in this very thread. :wink:

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #652 of 2,918

I have a feeling with this model Sennheiser created something that will be only appreciated by the posterity. On the flipside, chances are, that, because of the asking price, many of these items will be bought up by millionaires who won't even know the difference between a sollid state vs tube amp! :frowning2:

My two cents.

Sad truth. 
frown.gif

or a head-fier that wins the lotto...

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #653 of 2,918
  Every electrostatic I've ever heard or owned was lacking in bass authority.  They just couldn't reproduce the lowest of the low end.  Midbass punch was relatively lacking as well.  I've heard the SR-007 and SR-009, and I owned the Lambda (Pro?) SIgnature and another Lambda Signature that was modified to essentially be a 404.  Sometimes people mention this about e-stats, and other times it's ignored.  What do you guys think about the base of the Sennheiser HE1060/HEV1060?

JUDE?

What, if Jude says that they have great bass you are going to get yourself the system as soon as it is available for purchase?  

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #654 of 2,918

What, if Jude says that they have great bass you are going to get yourself the system as soon as it is available for purchase?  

I'd still be wanting to wait until they go on clearance sale.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #655 of 2,918
I'd still be wanting to wait until they go on clearance sale.

Check the sale forums often. You can also wait for the Massdrop Orpheus drop - the price will be around $53,000 if enough people sign up. What a deal, huh?

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #656 of 2,918
Check the sale forums often. You can also wait for the Massdrop Orpheus drop - the price will be around $53,000 if enough people sign up. What a deal, huh?

biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #657 of 2,918

Yeah, but when you add sales tax, it will actually cost more to buy from Massdrop. They need to move to Oregon.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #658 of 2,918
Stradivari and a small number of other artisans created musical transducers that achieve far and beyond the levels of ...

It seems safe to imagine a group of Sennheiser technicians ( working with the skill sets that brought us the Mass Produced HD800 ) are and have been working, behind the scenes, to produce a few exemplary Headphones.

I can imagine the Big Bosses at Sennheiser Green lighting a project to highlight these gloriously good design executions.

Paganini played a Guarneri Violin as do a few of today's virtuoso performers. Guarneri only made a few hundred Violins in his lifetime, Stradivari is said to have made 1,000 or so, with only about 300 in use today. 

Why couldn't Sennheiser aspire to create something of this magnitude?   

If they are doing just that I'll be proud to own Sennheiser headphones!, it confirms for me that I already own greatness, it supports my love of that Sennhieser voicing.  

I'm the DIY'er type, I'm coaxing greatness out of Schiit & Sennheiser stuff, very much like M.Moffat tunes Quad ESLs & Tube Amps to magical levels, I'll own the HD800s if they can outperform what I already own.  

I'm of two minds about these 1060s.  If I heard one of these systems I might get discouraged from continuing my work on the modest level of stuff I'm now successful with or it might pour gas on my fire to build an even better system. So, I'm afraid to consider such a system.

It might be the Heroin I won't be able to put aside. phew

I'll content myself with reading detailed explanations of the 1060s performances and try to achieve these qualities on "my" workbench.

My wife's decorator would like to have a hand in placing one of these systems in my home but I'm not worthy.  These 1060 systems should go to people like Joshua Bell who can leverage them into better recordings for all of us.

Tony in Michigan 

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #659 of 2,918

You cut off a key part of the quote. Here's a more complete look back:

Rosmadi seems to me to be saying that the HE1060 was specifically made to be used with the HEV1060 exclusively, and that they could not guarantee the safety if used outside of its intended use (i.e., with electronics by other manufacturers, DIY'ers, etc.).

Yes, HE1060 is specifically made for use with HEV1060. Not only it can not be used with anything else, it is most unlikely it will function at all and there is a serious concern regarding safety. The reason is that part of the amplification is integrated into the cups of HE1060 itself - a first that has no comparable other commercially available product.

The second HE1060 mentioned is simply another pair - if two persons would like to share the listen at the same time . Here, I hope Sennheiser to provide for the same quality of drive for either single pair headphone drive or for two pairs. In theory, with this new arrangement/topology, this should hold true.

With conventional arangement a la Stax, you can connect two pairs of headphones ( or, god forbid, an extension cable ...) - but at a hefty penalty in sound quality. The second pair added reduces the drive quality in half...(and extension cable is even worse than that).

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #660 of 2,918
  Stradivari and a small number of other artisans created musical transducers that achieve far and beyond the levels of ...

It seems safe to imagine a group of Sennheiser technicians ( working with the skill sets that brought us the Mass Produced HD800 ) are and have been working, behind the scenes, to produce a few exemplary Headphones.

I can imagine the Big Bosses at Sennheiser Green lighting a project to highlight these gloriously good design executions.

Paganini played a Guarneri Violin as do a few of today's virtuoso performers. Guarneri only made a few hundred Violins in his lifetime, Stradivari is said to have made 1,000 or so, with only about 300 in use today. 

Why couldn't Sennheiser aspire to create something of this magnitude?   

http://www.thestrad.com/cpt-latests/blind-tested-soloists-unable-to-tell-stradivarius-violins-from-modern-instruments/

This is just another myth which should be debunked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back