The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #436 of 2,085
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although there could be better words used to describe the sound of the Senn HD6 line, "boring and slow" isn't necessarily incorrect. The HD6 series is known for its rather laid back, slow and liquid sound, which apparently a lot of people like (I know I do) and is actually prefered for some genres of music, like jazz.

I had all 600 Sennheiser line (many times also
tongue.gif
), listened to them with many amps and Cardas cable, I think I know how they sound, and compared to other headphones
wink.gif
(see my profile)...
Imho if proper amped they aren't slow, but, if this thing can be a matter of debate compared to very quick attack and decay cans like Grados or some electrostats, I think "boring" is a negative feature that HD6 line really don't have. Turn up the volume! They will rock.
580smile.gif

And if not enough happy, try them balanced
wink.gif

Andrew

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #437 of 2,085
Right, I joined TEAM HD580 as of this morning.

I got them with HD600 grilles, HD650 cable and immediate defoamed them.

All I have to say is wow! This is the best 145USD I have ever spent audio-wise. The sound is incredibly good and I really question whether it is really worth spending $1.4k on a Stax 4040 system when unamped, the HD580 already sounds so good. The theory of diminishing marginal returns is in full force here. I guess the extra refinement my Stax offers is still worth paying extra for.

As an owner of the HD650, I always thought they were slightly dark sounding. The defoamed HD580 IMO sound more or less exactly the same as the HD650, but without the darkness. Foamed, they sound very noticeably smoother, but less attacking. There is less energy and sound much closer to the HD650. I'm having a great deal of difficultly deciding between listening to it foamed or defoamed... I'm afraid all the swapping will ultimately cause them damage. Maybe I'll try and land myself a second pair
evil_smiley.gif

Needless to say, I am very happy.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #438 of 2,085
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, I joined TEAM HD580 as of this morning.

I got them with HD600 grilles, HD650 cable and immediate defoamed them.

All I have to say is wow! This is the best 145USD I have ever spent audio-wise. The sound is incredibly good and I really question whether it is really worth spending $1.4k on a Stax 4040 system when unamped, the HD580 already sounds so good. The theory of diminishing marginal returns is in full force here. I guess the extra refinement my Stax offers is still worth paying extra for.

As an owner of the HD650, I always thought they were slightly dark sounding. The defoamed HD580 IMO sound more or less exactly the same as the HD650, but without the darkness. Foamed, they sound very noticeably smoother, but less attacking. There is less energy and sound much closer to the HD650. I'm having a great deal of difficultly deciding between listening to it foamed or defoamed... I'm afraid all the swapping will ultimately cause them damage. Maybe I'll try and land myself a second pair
evil_smiley.gif

Needless to say, I am very happy.

The immediate naturality and almost "perfect" balance of every frequency range of the HD580 sound (especially if good amped, and Earmax give the HD580 a totally sinergic sound), is something that make you think if it is really worth to spend the extra-money for "upper" quality headphones, or also some very good electrostat headphone (also my HE60/HEV70), which can have better quality in all features, but maybe are not so perfectly balanced.

Long live the HD580!
580smile.gif

Andrew

Ps. anyway, my HD580 is rigorously "stock"...
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #439 of 2,085
One of my future aims is to be able to get a pair of HE60s
very_evil_smiley.gif
Funnily enough, the HD580 modded with HD600 grilles looks a lot like the HE60
wink.gif

EDIT: Right, I decided to go unfoamed. The sound is surprisingly similar to the K701 which I had a few months ago: transparent, full of energy, natural, but not as bright. The highs seem slightly rolled off.

I also found that the HD580 didn't synergise well with the Echo Indigo DJ but matched well with the Audiophile USB. I had opposite findings with my ACS T2, which leads me to suspect the Echo Indigo DJ likes low impedance headphones whereas the Audiophile USB prefers high impedance ones.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #440 of 2,085
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Can I have a picture of this foam you speak of?

And also, to anyyone here not just milkpowder, what all comes in the box?

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #442 of 2,085
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bringing this to this page so it gets answered.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #443 of 2,085
Just love mine.

I've had the HD580's since 2001 and they have since become a firm favourite. I tend to use them in my bedroom with an old Pioneer SA508 amplifier from 1979 and a 1965 Thorens TD150 w/SME 3009 / Shure M97xE.

Sure they have their foibles but what set of cans can be said to be perfect in every way? None that I know of but I do know that the HD580's are a good bang-for-the-buck set of phones.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #444 of 2,085
HD-580's Ordered Yesterday from B&H. Was getting frustrated at needing such large amounts of $$ to upgrade the home system each step of the way and I believe that my neighbor may appreciated me not rattling the floor at 4AM!! I'm a silk dome, tube-like lover and from everything I know about sound these appear to have the sonic signature that will make me smile. Soundstage, warmth, and a light touch to allow for extended listening.

For now will be powering them out of the Headphone Jack on an STR-DA3000ES receiver, I hope that it has enough oomph for these.

Soon though I'll need to invest in an inexpensive amplifier with crossfeed as I listen primarily to concert recordings done by hobbyists using a pair of microphones.

Aside from Binaural Style recordings much of that needs some inter channel interaction to recreate the sound stage effectively.

Looking forward to the small upgrades along the way to find the sound I'm looking for while the pennies get saved to make the listening room achieve my desired results.

Kudos to all the time and energy spent on the tips and tricks to making these sound better. Grilles, and replacement cable will go on order tomorrow. I'll burn in the Stock Cans and post any thoughts on changes.

Hope everyone finds something wonderful to listen to this evening.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #445 of 2,085
Quote:

If I remember correctly, the headphones w/ cable attached, a nifty 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, and a couple of instruction/warranty booklets. Thats it.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #446 of 2,085
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry about that, completely missed your questions. Even worse is that I don't know the answer to your last question since I bought them used (but mint) off another Head-Fi'er without the original packaging.

The foam is just the lining of the earcups which serves as an acoustic "filter" as well as a protection against hair and debris. Pop the earpads out and the foam just comes off. I've sold my HD580 already so I can't really show you any pictures
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #450 of 2,085
I've had mine for about a year now and I frequently switch between the HD580 and SR225. Depends on what I'm listening to or how I'm feeling at the moment.

The HD580 was money well spent and I recommend them quite often to anyone wanting to get a better sounding headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back