The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,202 of 2,080
Quote:

Yes - it looks as if the headband pad needs replacing as well (I have to do this on mine as well now).

I would also suggest replacing the plastic backs with the open mesh ones from the HD600 or HD650 - I did this to mine as soon as the designer told me he had originally intended the 580 to have the more open backs.

Hmm, I'm not sure there'd be any difference in sound if I changed the plastic backs, and I bet it'd be fairly expensive. Plus I like it to always look like the original that people recognise as the 580 even if it was intended another way, rather than modded and looking like a hybrid 580/600/650. 
smile.gif

May 14, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #1,203 of 2,080
Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure there'd be any difference in sound if I changed the plastic backs, and I bet it'd be fairly expensive. Plus I like it to always look like the original that people recognise as the 580 even if it was intended another way, rather than modded and looking like a hybrid 580/600/650. 
smile.gif

I don't think it's very expensive at all.

Also - the plastic backs are a lot more closed than the mesh backs and would give more back-pressure back on the diaphragm.

The mesh backs are about 95% open, the plastic backs only about 40 to 50% I think - if you take off the plastic back and look at them from the inside, you will see more plastic than holes.

But I only changed mine when the designer said that he had originally intended the 580 to have the open mesh.

May 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #1,204 of 2,080
Quote:
smile.gif

There's quite a large difference in sound despite what people say. I've compared them both for a long time. The HD-600 grills are $12USD each and you need two.
I actually think it's a downgrade for me.

I think with the HD-600 grills you get less forward upper mids, worse sub-bass and even less treble. Ok, that's just my impression, but it's very noticeable. Even sounds less clear and detailed to me.

I would say the HD-580 is slightly more aggressive with it's sound signature compared to the HD-600. A lot more fun and engaging to me.

Adding the HD-600 grills turned my HD-580 into a snore fest. 95% of people will probably love the resulting sound since it's more neutral sounding to most.

I should point out that I'm not a huge fan of the HD-600 and do prefer the HD-580. I was pretty surprised how much I liked the 580 compared to the HD-600!

Here's a graph i've found comparing the 580 to 600:

May 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,205 of 2,080
What is the purpose of the original HD580 grill? I'm sure they didn't just slap something on there randomly. And why did they change to the mesh for the HD600 and HD650, did they consider the design to be ineffective at what they were trying to accomplish?

May 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,206 of 2,080
Quote:
What is the purpose of the original HD580 grill? I'm sure they didn't just slap something on there randomly. And why did they change to the mesh for the HD600 and HD650, did they consider the design to be ineffective at what they were trying to accomplish?

The plastic was used so the HD 580 would not look as good as the HE60 and take sales away from the electrostatic (I discovered this many years after the event).

The mesh was used for the HD 580 Jubilee as that was the original design and the Jubilee was a Limied Edition up-market unit.

The HD 600 is a re-badged Jubilee.

Etc...

May 17, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #1,207 of 2,080
I have two sets of 580's. One white screen one black....and a set of Hd600 mesh grilles on each and the stock plastic grilles, in storage.  I've never noticed any difference in sound (increased back pressure? puh-leeez) Personally, I think if you are spending time trying to hear the differences in two grilles you have WAAAAAYYY too much time on your hands.

May 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #1,208 of 2,080
I did some more testing between the HD-580 and HD-600 and the HD-580 is clearly better to me and matches up to my preferences more. I actually would find it hard to believe someone couldn't hear the difference. Even the charts show quite a difference.
If I put my HD-600 grills on my HD-580 it magically turns it into a snore fest. Now some may prefer the resulting sound, but not me. If you completely cover the grill, the difference is even larger.

I tested both for about an hour yesterday and HD-580 with stock cable sounded best to me. Am I the only one here who thinks the HD-580 sound MUCH more clear than the HD-600? I think it's due to the reduced mid-bass and more treble from the 580 grill.

BTW I normally use these with a desktop amp, but the HD-580 even sounds good with the E11 from a Sansa Clip.

It's just interesting that the HD-580 usually ends up on my head more than the HD-600. Weird.

Also..I think the HD-580 has moved up on my favorites list. Right below the K601, Q701, Sextett and DJ100. It might even be higher than the 598 now. The HD-600 would go below the 598 for sure.

May 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #1,209 of 2,080
Quote:
I did some more testing between the HD-580 and HD-600 and the HD-580 is clearly better to me and matches up to my preferences more. I actually would find it hard to believe someone couldn't hear the difference. Even the charts show quite a difference.
If I put my HD-600 grills on my HD-580 it magically turns it into a snore fest. Now some may prefer the resulting sound, but not me. If you completely cover the grill, the difference is even larger.

I tested both for about an hour yesterday and HD-580 with stock cable sounded best to me. Am I the only one here who thinks the HD-580 sound MUCH more clear than the HD-600? I think it's due to the reduced mid-bass and more treble from the 580 grill.

BTW I normally use these with a desktop amp, but the HD-580 even sounds good with the E11 from a Sansa Clip.

It's just interesting that the HD-580 usually ends up on my head more than the HD-600. Weird.

Also..I think the HD-580 has moved up on my favorites list. Right below the K601, Q701, Sextett and DJ100. It might even be higher than the 598 now. The HD-600 would go below the 598 for sure.

You should try the HD565 then, one of the most underrated and and best bang for the buck headphones around. It approaches the sound signature you favour, it seems.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/518202/sennheiser-hd565-service-and-appreciation-thread

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,211 of 2,080
Think this headphone might be in my Top 3 soon. Sounds especially good from my JVC full sized CD player to my Headroom Micro Amp.
I've tried swapping to an HD-650 and Double Helix cable and prefer it stock.

Right now i'm using it at work with a Fiio E11 from Ipod Classic 3G (ancient model) and it still sounds good.

Have you ever checked reviews of the HD-580 on the web? Wow, they're totally weird and different than what I hear. This one is the silver screened version. Guess it's one of the latest models before they discontinued it.
This one isn't bass heavy or have any lack of mids. It even has good sub-bass. Sounds pretty clear too.

Are these getting rare? Probably not and I don't use Ebay. Found this pair in the forums out of nowhere one day and bought it. First thing I noticed was how much I liked it's signature compared to the HD-600.

I had the HD-580 back in maybe 2000 or 2001 or so before everyone had mp3 players. This was when I was rather new to all this and had no clue I needed an amp! I was using it from a portable CD player
biggrin.gif
No wonder I didn't like it back then.
Not sure on the year, but mp3 players were not common at all and people still used dialup around here.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,212 of 2,080
Many have mentioned changing the original plastic backs on the HD580 with the mesh backs from HD600/650.

Does anyone know where these can be obtained as I've hunted high and low on the internet and with zero joy?

Thanks

Paul

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,213 of 2,080
count me in as another happy user. i stumbled into this headphone wayyyyyyy after i'm into head-fi journey. after i'm stranded in a land of stats. i'm now waiting for the delivery of bhse. i have 009 and 007 mk2 but no amp yet (sold the kgss). my last resort to enjoy music temporarily is to use my dynamic rig which is gilmore lite + this headphone or hf2. source through stello da100. to be honest, this headphone is still acceptable to my spoiled ear. very musical and balanced too. ofcourse its another different league with stats. but if you want me to say, this setup can compared neck to neck with entry level of stax (2070 system) depending on what you after. obviously this headphone won in terms of musicality and low/bass, where the stax won in technical, separation and speed.

one word to summarize, if i can pick a combo (excl source) of amp+headphone for under $500, this rig ranks high in my list for sure. if not because of the damn stat, i could've retired with this combo

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,214 of 2,080
Many have mentioned changing the original plastic backs on the HD580 with the mesh backs from HD600/650.

Does anyone know where these can be obtained as I've hunted high and low on the internet and with zero joy?

Thanks

Paul

Interesting.. I ordered the HD600 grills (for my 580) directly from Sennheiser (placed over the phone).  I can't remember if, at the time I ordered, they were listed at their website, though.  I checked a few moments ago and, indeed, there is no listing there for the HD600 grill.

I'd call Sennheiser and ask the rep over the phone if the grills are available/can be ordered.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,215 of 2,080
Quote:

Interesting.. I ordered the HD600 grills (for my 580) directly from Sennheiser (placed over the phone).  I can't remember if, at the time I ordered, they were listed at their website, though.  I checked a few moments ago and, indeed, there is no listing there for the HD600 grill.

I'd call Sennheiser and ask the rep over the phone if the grills are available/can be ordered.

I bought some about 2 months ago and had the part number when I called Sennseiser. Don't remember the part# but it's easy to find on google. They are $12 per side. I didn't think the changes were worth it IMO.
If you're weird like me you'll compare the differences. Try keeping on the HD-600 grills for one week and then switch back to the HD-580 grills the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back