The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #571 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because of the Hype created as a result of Sennheisers awesome Marketing team.

remember the feeling when iPhone had come out?

really? what hype did Sennheiser put fourth? all i see is the maker of some of the headfis top loved and used cans announce a new product at CES and then every headphone lover north of the south pole went goo goo ga ga...

and for damn good reason! actually i can give you 4 good reasons why everyone is going nuts..
1:HE-90
2:HE-60
3:HD-600
4:HD-650

do a quick search on headfi and see how many people have talked about those 4 reasons alone...

then come back and tell me how "Sennheisers awesome Marketing team"
created any of the hype..

Also the Apple comparison is nowhere close, they had news interviews,commicerals and a bunch of other stuff hyping a product that was very much worth the hype!

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #572 of 5,928
The original iPhone was not worth the hype imo... it was old technology with a pretty interface. The iPhone 3g on the otherhand is a decent piece of kit.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #573 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original iPhone was not worth the hype imo... it was old technology with a pretty interface. The iPhone 3g on the otherhand is a decent piece of kit.

yay and nay...
ur forgetting how many touch screen cell phones where out with full Internet, ipod, etc before the iPhone. i am never going back to a key padded cell in my life, hell i purposely forgot how to use them..haha

but i love my iPhone so without turning this thread into Apple fanboy moment lets get back to the main topic...

which is me...

all me...

and a bag of lays..

while listening to the HD-800's...

i wander since they be 300 would they make the same sonic change on tube amps as the 600/650, all listening impressions have been on the dac1 sofar rite?

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #574 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? what hype did Sennheiser put fourth? all i see is the maker of some of the headfis top loved and used cans announce a new product at CES and then every headphone lover north of the south pole went goo goo ga ga...

and for damn good reason! actually i can give you 4 good reasons why everyone is going nuts..
1:HE-90
2:HE-60
3:HD-600
4:HD-650

do a quick search on headfi and see how many people have talked about those 4 reasons alone...

then come back and tell me how "Sennheisers awesome Marketing team"
created any of the hype..

Also the Apple comparison is nowhere close, they had news interviews,commicerals and a bunch of other stuff hyping a product that was very much worth the hype!

there's nothing evil about marketing..its a successful strategy to launch the product at CES ..also the brochures n all look interesting.

the product design is also successful as part of the 4 P's of marketing.

well the only issue can be the pricing...if it sounds that good..the pricing will work for it..but otherwise it ll work against it if it sounds like an upgrade of HD650.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #575 of 5,928
Quote:

well the only issue can be the pricing...if it sounds that good..the pricing will work for it..but otherwise it ll work against it if it sounds like an upgrade of HD650.

I agree! But there this law of diminishing return too. I think it should be compared to the cans in the similar price range. Sennheiser is not targeting the HD650 range consumers with this obviously.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #576 of 5,928
Very good to see... would like to hear....

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #577 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me like they did their Homework. The Ultrasones sold well, the 7's and 9's. The HD650 is an Excellent phone. This is not the HD650 Upgrade folks. This is a new Tier for Sennheiser. You don't take out your Crown Victoria, and tell all your Crown Vic customers they have to start buying Lincoln Continentals. There will be a 680 or whatever. To hit this price point, there has to be REAL change, they did that in Spades. The 650 will be a hard act to follow, SQ wise. It looks like they made EVERY effort to make a serious advance here. It also looks like they are listening to this board and what we like.

Bravo Sennheiser!!

Even if you are a Grado Fan or an Ultrasone Fan, or an AKG fan, you should LOVE trhis!!

Competition and BUZZ makes them all work harder and make better product. Let's see, maybe Ultrasone will have to make a new Driver!! maybe Denon will have to make a new Driver.

This is 100% all new R&D!!

Now light up that APPLAUSE SIGN!!

AND THE FANS GO WILD.....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #578 of 5,928
Quote:

there's nothing evil about marketing..its a successful strategy to launch the product at CES ..also the brochures n all look interesting.

the product design is also successful as part of the 4 P's of marketing.

Agreed but my reply was stating that Senn just needs someone to hit the "submit post" button on here then all hell breaks loose..

which (like marketing) is not bad at all. Headfi users are people who love to love the products and the hobby itself, so when a new product from any company gets the first post we go crazy.

as far as pricing and the sound of the HD-800's go..
pricing it at $1400 i think is an advantage, these days a real nice headphone amp does not get looked at or gawked at if its less then $1500, and the headphone amps that really get people excited are priced at $5000 or up. whats everyone using on these pricey amps? $400 headphones? to be a flagship headphone it almost has to start around $1000 to even get noticed.

as far as sound goes we will all know eventually once people get the cans themselves and to meets, i can tell you some will like the sound and some won't...

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #580 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look incredible and judging by Jude's impressions sound exquisite. Will this be my HE60's swan song?

I see the HD 800 as finally a dynamic equavalent to my HE60. Question is, will my balanced Bijou drive them as well as the (new) Blue Hawaii drives the HE60?

We'll see.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #581 of 5,928
We shall see - a lot of guessing about what it is or what it will replace, but we really just don't know. Every headphone has a signature and most of the best cans can do what others can't, so stating that it is the be all, end all of headphones for every taste sets some expectations that are pretty high.

I'm looking foward to hearing them. I like to keep coloration at a minimum, but I don't like sterile sounding headphones no matter how technically competant they are... wonder how musicality or bass slam is on these???

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #582 of 5,928
I just bought M Audio Q-40's and just ordered Beyerdynamic DT770's!!Now these come along!That's it, I quit this hobby!!All my gear is for sale!I'm serious.They are beautiful!Looks like they are going after Sony's customers.Qualias!R10's maybe.Like i said all my headphones are for sale!
evil_smiley.gif
P.S.Those drivers gave me a chubby! http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/3177825643/in/set-72157612254832521 Cans-Grado SR80's,Sennheiser PMX60,PhilipsHP910's,M-Audio Q40's(FS),KossPortapro,Beyer'sDT770 Pro(ordered) Juice-HarmonKardon,YamahaCD,Ipod,Sony NWZ-S636F(FS) Amps(HAHA)-PA2V2(FS),Fiio E3,E5
darthsmile.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #583 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The following is impressive, thoughtful and indicative of the quality that went into this piece of Audophile technology:

The Earpads of the HD800 are made of special high quality Alcantara®, which is a unique, innovative material, used to cover and upholster surfaces and structures. It is the development of an original, proprietary technology that has never been equaled, and is used by the most prestigious international companies in many sectors and applications (Automotive, Fashion & Accessories, Interior, Yacht, etc.).
The uniqueness of Alcantara® also derives from its characteristics in use that make it an unrivaled combination of sensory, esthetic and functional values. The unique values of Alcantara® are the characteristics of a contemporary lifestyle. It is a registered trademark owned by Alcantara S.p.A., the company that produces and markets it.

Alcantara® is the ideal choice for those who seek excitement through the stimulation of their senses and the satisfaction of their esthetic taste, but also expect functional performances. It is the lifestyle of people who like to surround themselves with things they can use intensely and with constant pleasure in everyday life. Alcantara® communicates a sensation of well-being with its soft, enveloping quality that covers the widest variety of designer shapes and emphasizes their unique style. The extreme ease of maintenance and excellent resistance and breathability of the material allow the consumer to use objects covered or upholstered in Alcantara® with the maximum freedom.

Alcantara has been used in upholstery of lambo cars since 70's
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #585 of 5,928
frown.gif
I don't really like the look on the HD-800 but I bet the sound is excellent. I wish the price is lower though. I am trying to sop buying and the $1400 pricetag is just a bit too high!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back