The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Jan 7, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,276 of 1,909
  My  Modi Uber has died in less then 24 hrs. Waiting to hear back from customer service.  Unit was fine last night now dead. No sound no power no lights ,nadda.
frown.gif

My fault. Due to the weight of the adapter it was not making full contact with the outlet. Due to I had it mounted upside down in the outlet. I didn't want to unplug my other device

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,277 of 1,909
Got my Modi2 uber last night. Man are those aluminum edges and corners sharp. Almost scratched/cut myself.

Did a little listening session last night, and I found the USB input better than the optical input (using a macbook pro). The optical seemed a bit rolled off the top end and lifeless, relatively speaking of course. Anyone experience similar?

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,278 of 1,909
Ha I see. Yeah I didn't think that was a good idea. I just have both my wallwarts plugged into a surge protector. Idk that I can tell a diff between the cheap soundcard and the modi 2 uber. I just stream from pandora and spotify though. I guess I could say it sounds better. I deffinitely see the magni as more necessary than the modi. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,279 of 1,909

Same as me, buddy! The ironic thing is that I ordered Monoprice cables with slower shipping, because I was originally going to get the Modi 2 Uber...so now, I may actually get the amp and DAC a day before the cables. XD

xD best thing about monoprice and schiit is that they are ~2 hours away from me :) so every should arrive pretty fast 

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,280 of 1,909
  Got my Modi2 uber last night. Man are those aluminum edges and corners sharp. Almost scratched/cut myself.

Did a little listening session last night, and I found the USB input better than the optical input (using a macbook pro). The optical seemed a bit rolled off the top end and lifeless, relatively speaking of course. Anyone experience similar?

Just about everyone experiences similar, from my experience.

Ha I see. Yeah I didn't think that was a good idea. I just have both my wallwarts plugged into a surge protector. Idk that I can tell a diff between the cheap soundcard and the modi 2 uber. I just stream from pandora and spotify though. I guess I could say it sounds better. I deffinitely see the magni as more necessary than the modi. 

Now that I've seen how big the wall wart is, I'm gonna need to move stuff around on my surge protector and put it on the end. If I had waited for the Modi 2 Uber, I probably wouldn't have had enough space on my surge protector!

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,283 of 1,909

I'm very interested in this as well.

Does your preference between the two change with different headphones?

well, right now, since my 325e blew a driver before i received the magni 2u, i'm really only listening with the t1, i have a pair of akg 550's, but i haven't really done any serious listening with them.
so between albums i seem to have a preference sometimes, 
i will say it again, the magni 2u is impressive !

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,285 of 1,909
well, right now, since my 325e blew a driver before i received the magni 2u, i'm really only listening with the t1, i have a pair of akg 550's, but i haven't really done any serious listening with them.
so between albums i seem to have a preference sometimes, 
i will say it again, the magni 2u is impressive !
Heeeey! Since you've had quite a bevy of tube amp experience.... I'm very curious about your take on your impressions of the Beyer T1 and M2U in relations to the tube amps. I've been toying with the idea of going SS and ditching the tubes, but worried that the M2U would be to lean w/ the T1s.

Had previous experience with Magni and it didn't go so well. Sold them after less than a months time.

Where/how did you get those red ear pads?
Looks like HM5 pads.

E: Aliexpress and Amazon has them. Comes in velour as well.

argh... now I have to get the USB upgrade on my BiFrost Uber.
I would wait. Yggy is right around the corner, they might have something new in store on the USB and Analog front.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,288 of 1,909
Sorry... Too lazy to read the whole thread. I'm looking to ditch my e17 as my bedroom rig and was thinking about trying the magni 2. The original magni was a little bright for me. Has anyone done a side by side yet for sound comparisons? If the 2 is still just as bright I'll probably pick up another Vali.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,289 of 1,909
Sorry... Too lazy to read the whole thread. I'm looking to ditch my e17 as my bedroom rig and was thinking about trying the magni 2. The original magni was a little bright for me. Has anyone done a side by side yet for sound comparisons? If the 2 is still just as bright I'll probably pick up another Vali.

Read this and this post.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,290 of 1,909
Heeeey! Since you've had quite a bevy of tube amp experience.... I'm very curious about your take on your impressions of the Beyer T1 and M2U in relations to the tube amps. I've been toying with the idea of going SS and ditching the tubes, but worried that the M2U would be to lean w/ the T1s.

Had previous experience with Magni and it didn't go so well. Sold them after less than a months time.
Looks like HM5 pads.

E: Aliexpress and Amazon has them. Comes in velour as well.
I would wait. Yggy is right around the corner, they might have something new in store on the USB and Analog front.

the one word answer is NO, 
i will say, i come from gradoland, so a little treble doesn't bother me
i think i said somewhere earlier in the thread, the bass is controlled, snappy, fast, the mids present, and the treble is nice, extended, plenty of detail.
now it isn't as good as the woo wa3 i had just before the vail/magni combo, but i think it the t1 sounds just fine with the magni2u 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back