The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #65 of 1,909
This looks oh so good, but will it still have that dry, slightly analytical tone of the formers? I preferred the ODAC over the Modi by a smidge, and the Vali over the Magni by a mile. If the Magni 2 Uber can approach some of the fullness/organics of the Vali, I'd be into it.

TOTALLY loving the inputs on the Modi 2 uber, as someone who prefers optical over USB, but still wants options.

I just wish Schiit would make the Magni/Modi uber combo into an all in one. I'd kill for that. The stacking isn't as pretty as one full fledged unit.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #67 of 1,909
  Ughh, I just ordered the Magni + Modi stack 2 days ago and it's en route for Wednesday, is it possible to upgrade even though it shipped?

I feel this pain... mine arrived just one week ago :frowning2:

Not sure if Schiit will give me any offers, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #68 of 1,909
Rem0o, since you are the only one to really start to address where the bifrost fits into things now, do you think it is worth the extra $100 or so?  or is too soon to speculate without really hearing the different ones?

im looking for a nice dac at the moment and the modi 2 uber looks pretty good for the price (with magni 2 uber), but if the bifrost is still "better" overall i wouldnt mind spending the extra $$ on it.  im looking at those or the emotiva xda 2 as it has similar inputs, un&balanced outs (nice for when i upgrade my desktop speakers soon) and an allegedly good enough headphone amp that should work for my current phones.  also considering the much more expensive sony uda 1, though that is probably a different conversation altogether...

just hoping to get a better idea of how the new schiit products fit in with the current lineup and how they should compare to some others in similar price range and feature set.  and since i live in kansas city, there is basically nowhere i can find to see/try any of this stuff in person :frowning2: 

if anyone has any thoughts i'd love to hear them, and probably others too!

edit: supposed to be a quote/reply to Rem0o but i clicked reply instead. fail.  hopefully somebody sees this and would like to discuss.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #69 of 1,909
Preamp Outputs: Uber has them, standard doesn’t.
Gain Stage: Uber has a complementary-input VAS, standard doesn’t.
Power Supply: Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V)
Chassis: Uber gets an aluminum top cover and solid aluminum milled knob, standard is painted steel and an aluminum-covered plastic knob.

1. For cleanest audio is USB Modi or Optical Modi considered better? Perhaps I should just consider the Uber if I can't decide?

2. Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart. What exactly is the Modi 2 Optical powered by? Does the way a DAC is powered matter in terms of Sound Quality?

3. How exactly do preamp output and gain stage of the Magni 2 improve sound quality? Does the improved Uber power supply help either? 

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #72 of 1,909
You guys rock! This is getting so interesting. I've got my Fulla on-order (hope to have it by next week as Laura intercepted it and had it returned for the oscillator fix). I think this will go to work to provide amplification and D/A conversion for my Senn noise-cancelling cans when I am cranking on data analysis in JMP. I can also use it for travel with my Shure SE535s or Momentums. 

I've been using a LH Geek Out 450 and AQ Dragonfly for a portable USB-dongle type DAC/head amp for my Senn Momentums through my 27" Retina iMac. The Dragonfly v1.2 is killer for what it is, and I think, more musical than the Geek Out. I thought about getting the original Modi, but wanted something that would support 24/192 as I have a fair bit of that content. Modi 2 Uber and Valli should make for a terrific combo for that listening user scenario with a pair of Senn 600s! 

Just curious how Valli would stack up against Magni 2 Uber. 

We're suffering from an embarassment of riches these days!

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #73 of 1,909
Any idea what the Magni 2 will be like with sensitive IEMs? Tossing up between the Magni 2 and O2 and read the previous version of the Magni had a higher noise floor. Also, will the low gain on the Magni 2 Uber be similar power to the standard Magni 2?

Futureproofing might be useful but the last thing I want is noise on IEMs. Will be the Noble K10 if it makes a difference.

Also, any word on whether the Modi 2 will work with an iPhone / iPad using the Lightning to USB connector? I believe the first Modi did.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #74 of 1,909

Marketplace angst,

It's now easy to imagine the headphone electronics manufacturers are having their "Hair on fire" over this new release.

How many sales just got lost to the lads in Schiit Land? 

The Schiit Team players would all get hits and score, well, ok but now they're knocken em outa the Park on the first or second pitch!, good lord!
Over 2014 you couldn't go to a headphone meet, anywhere on this Planet, without seeing lotsa Schiit stuff, this new M2&M2 Uber stuff already has everyone talking excitedly, phew.

For 2015 Q1, they have a range of : $200pairs to $4,000pairs -- a 20:1 price spread from the lowest to highest , they're building their very own Escalator, all of em are pretty hot products in the marketplace!  They're starting to "own" the field!
Will Alex Martin be able to keep up?  How much can 10,000 sq.ft. produce in one week? How many balls can be kept in the air at one time? Schiit is supposed to be a Start-up for cristsake!, when are the growing pains gonna start slowing these guys down a bit and give everyone else a breather?   

I talk to people all over the world, for my work and my music hobby.  The sense I get from these international headphone people is that Schiit is a "safe" purchase.  Safe? Yes, safe, they feel it's a safe bet to buy any of the Schiit products.   How in the world did Sir Jason and Professor Mike accomplish this?, they don't travel to any of these far-off places, they don't have a Sales & Marketing Arm in any of these places, yet nearly every headphone person, anywhere you can go will already know about Schiit and quote a Product Name like Lyr or Asgard or Magni or any of the Schiit product line.   They don't even do little video skits like Tyll Hertsen does for all his discussions.  

I'm glad that I don't have to compete against these guys or guys like them,  they make Honda and Toyota look easy to sell against.

All the best to the guys at Schiit,

Tony in Michigan    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back