The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
May 13, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,832 of 1,909
Yeah at the end of the day a 16:44100 320kbps mp3 that was well mastered and produced will sound better than a poor recording at any rate.

According to proper testing, we can't tell the difference even if the exact same master/mixdown was at a higher resolution and or sample rate. We have our limitations.

May 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,836 of 1,909
  I've read a bunch of this thread but am still not sure: Did anyone AB and find audible differences between the Magni and Magni 2? 

I can't point at a specific post, but I believe the general impression has been that Magni 2 is an improvement over the original, but the Modis sound basically the same.

Not sure if they were direct AB comparisons though.

May 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,837 of 1,909

I can't point at a specific post, but I believe the general impression has been that Magni 2 is an improvement over the original, but the Modis sound basically the same.

Not sure if they were direct AB comparisons though.

My impression, going from a Modi 1 to a Modi 2 Uber was mainly that the Modi 2U was a lot more punchy. In fact, for the first month I found it strident and fatiguing. My Modi 1 was noticeably more mellow. I've had the Modi 2U in daily use for 100 days now and I find it more laid back now. Whether I got used to the sound signature or it burned in (or a combination of the two) I'm not sure.

May 15, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,838 of 1,909

My impression, going from a Modi 1 to a Modi 2 Uber was mainly that the Modi 2U was a lot more punchy. In fact, for the first month I found it strident and fatiguing. My Modi 1 was noticeably more mellow. I've had the Modi 2U in daily use for 100 days now and I find it more laid back now. Whether I got used to the sound signature or it burned in (or a combination of the two) I'm not sure.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

May 15, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,839 of 1,909

I suspect that you got used to it. Some might have been expectation. If you're happy now, that's what counts.

May 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,840 of 1,909
  I suspect that you got used to it. Some might have been expectation. If you're happy now, that's what counts.

Yeah, very happy now. Though Mike Moffat's recent comment that Yggy tech will trickle down eventually to the Bifrost has me considering it for the future.

May 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,841 of 1,909

Yeah, very happy now. Though Mike Moffat's recent comment that Yggy tech will trickle down eventually to the Bifrost has me considering it for the future.

$149 = Modi 2 Uber
$519 = Fully loaded Bifrost Uber USB2
I own both products. If the trickle down tech is beyond a human's capability to perceive, you shouldn't worry so much. As it stands the Modi 2 Uber is already awesome. Now what do you think?

May 15, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,842 of 1,909
  $149 = Modi 2 Uber
$519 = Fully loaded Bifrost Uber USB2
I own both products. If the trickle down tech is beyond a human's capability to perceive, you shouldn't worry so much. As it stands the Modi 2 Uber is already awesome. Now what do you think?

That's not what's being stated in the high end DAC threads. A lot of people are spending big bucks for something you say isn't perceivable.

Me, I don't know, because I've never heard better than what I have. But Schiit does have a return policy.
tongue_smile.gif

May 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,843 of 1,909

That's not what's being stated in the high end DAC threads. A lot of people are spending big bucks for something you say isn't perceivable.

Me, I don't know, because I've never heard better than what I have. But Schiit does have a return policy.
tongue_smile.gif

That's quite common, pay for what not real. You can investigate in the Sound Science forum if you are interested. Human perception is far more limited than most good audio kit. Schiit makes very good Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back