The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #211 of 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?

SACD yes, DSD I hadn't heard of. Had to check that one on Wikipedia.

2. Do you own any SACDs?

No.

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?

(To be honest, I don't really listen to CDs either. I do have some, but I have just ripped them and listen to the FLAC files.)

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?

No, since I pretty much exclusively listen to music on the computer.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?

Since SACDs might become more common in the future, and seeing as I'd really have nothing against listening to them instead of files from the computer (it has just felt more handy so far due to the small amount of songs normal CDs can hold), it wouldn't be a totally redundant upgrade. For a decent DAC I'd probably be ready to pay 400-500 euros and for added SACD support I could pay 50 euros more. (In dollars about 600-700 and 70 dollars respectively.)

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #212 of 333
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes
All files in my playlist are digital files. 35% is above 16/44.1 quality, 65% is 16/44.1. Bit-rate of my desired listening includes 88.2 and 176.4Khz but I have not found a reasonable DAC that does this well. DSD would certainly be a welcome addition.
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
Yes. Severely disappointed with the current offerings.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
I would purchase the DAC with the DSD option concurrently.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #213 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No. Mainly because of the price and the fact that I don't own a SACD player.

All are in 320 kbps MP3 / FLAC / WAV / AIFF. Although I do have SACD ripped FLAC files.

As of now, no. But as I grow older, and I get income,  I would definitely invest in SACD / SACD players. 

It would depend on the quality of the player. I think that $100-$200 would be great, if the upgrade was great as well. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #214 of 333
1. yes
2  yes
3   about 5 % of my collection is in sacd
4.  right now, i can only play sacd cds on dedicated expensive units such
     as top of the line marantz or sony.  they sound fantastic because they have
     about six times for information than regular cds, and approach the sound of vinyl
     very few dacs are available that are stand alone to decode sacd
5.  i would love to find a portable dac that could decode sacd.  i would pay
     200-400 for one depending on the quality of the  build and sound.
     hope you make such a product available!  thank you drbluenewmexico

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #215 of 333

Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs?
No.
0% Sacd, 10% Downloads, 90% CDs (ripped 16/44)
Not at the moment, it could become more important as I expand my music library.
At most 10% of total Dac value.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #216 of 333

Quote:
not really

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

90% CD ripped to FLAC/ALAC

Could be

Yes

just entering for the sake of it :) would love something highend like a bitfrost, dream come true.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #217 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

No
2. Do you own any SACDs?
Possiably
Un Sure
Not sure
Possibly

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #218 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?NO

2. Do you own any SACDs?  NO
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 0%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? NONE

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #219 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Why yes i am

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Nope, like your coleague said, DSD jsut doesnt make sense to me

0% SACD, 100% cd ripped to 16/44 lossless

Not at all

I probably wouldn't no

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Answers above.

Just want to thank you guys for putting the effort forth to actually ask the community what they want. Keep up the good work!

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #220 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? No
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 50% CD. 50% flac.
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? No

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #221 of 333
Had to google them both. Realised I knew of SACD's but I've never heard of DSD before.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
None

0% SACD,  30% CD's, rest are mostly 320kbps mp3's, couple of albums I ripped in FLAC for testing.

Not atm honestly, but doesnt hurt to be future proof.

Well if I start getting music in that format I would definatly buy the upgrade.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #222 of 333

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes, I do.

Quote:

Approximately 10% SACD

Quote:

It is interesting, certainly, but I'm not sure how important. Most SACD players I have used had very good decoding.

Quote:

Yes, I think I probably would - just for the novelty - probably about $300 extra for the capability - especially if I could use the high-res decode to make better digital files. Anymore than that, and I'm just looking at upgrades to my SACD player and wouldn't bother.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #223 of 333
1. I know what SACD is and have wanted to look into it but I don't currently have a SACD player. I have also have heard of DSD but don't know exactly what it is.
2. I do own some hybrid disc yes.
3. Less then 5% are SACD.
4. No it is not super important but would be nice.
5. It depends, I'd be willing to pay another 50-100 USD for SACD playback depending on what else it adds or how it is done.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #224 of 333
1. Yes.

2. No.

3. N/A

4. No.

5. Depends. My biggest gripe with SACD is not being able to find music I'd actually listen to on the format. This isn't anything I expect hardware manufacturers to do anything about, but it's basically where I'm at. If music that I did listen to existed on the format, and I had playback hardware, then yes, I would want such an upgrade. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #225 of 333
Very familiar, Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes i do.
20% SACD 75% Computer File 5% CD
I have never actually thought of it.
$200 max

Thanks for this contest ! I met you guys at the Village meet. Rock on !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back